Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 7:10:30 PM EDT
It occurred to me today that most if not all of my favorite movies are based upon true stories. Miracle, Cinderella Man, Apollo 13, etc, all are based on true stories and are my absolute favorites.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Poll incoming.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Not always. If it's a subject that I'm intimately familiar with, like "Apollo 13" or "The Right Stuff" I will be more distracted by the errors than entertained by the depiction.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolutly not.

Simply because they always fuck it up "to make the story flow" or to "edit for limited time", etc, etc, etc,.....Blackhawk down is a prime example.

Taken as entertainment only, it is a good film.

Viewed as an actual event, it leaves out so much backstory, minor details, really BIG details, combines personalities, etc, etc, etc, that it frankly sucks.

About the only one that came even close was 'Band of Brothers', and thats because they stuck to reality, used the real names, and had many episodes (10 hours worth total) to tell the story.

But even that was a small part of the real story, so it too fell short in that aspect.

I know that they can't make movies that last 3 weeks to get in more details and the like, but frankly, all movies or video media simply fall short in the big picture.

The best way to see it is to live it.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top