Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 1:50:37 PM EDT
Thinkin of getting one for the house. The existing HWH is going on its 18th year and I wanna swap it out anybody have one and if so how do you like it? Thinking of going with a gas type.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged to find out what kind I should put near my bathroom so that I don't have to wait 5 minutes to get hot water on my end of the house.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]
They are great. Beats the hell out of paying to store hot water. Be sure you figure out the thermal loss of sending hot water to a distant faucet. Some of these units have a hard time keeping up if the water gets piped too far and there is multiple demand.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thinkin of getting one for the house. The existing HWH is going on its 18th year and I wanna swap it out anybody have one and if so how do you like it? Thinking of going with a gas type.  

I lived in a house that had one.  You could only have one source using hot water at a time.  If you're taking a shower and someone turns on hot water in the kitchen, the kitchen gets ALL of the hot water so the shower goes straight cold.  Don't know if they're all that way.  But the one I was on sure sucked.  The only good thing was that IF you had the hot water, it would never run out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I put in the base model Bosch (gas) two years ago.

It was about $400 at the home center.

The "high flow" model runs around $900, the difference is that the model I got willonly run one "major" line at a time.  Translation, it wifey starts a hot laundry load while you are in the shower, you hot water flow rate drops by about 75%.  It simply won't make enought hot water to run two things at once.

Upside, though, is that, knowing you have to run things one at a time, you can take a HOT shower .3 seconds after the dishwasher ends, the sixth load of laundry, and every female in sight took their showers, it simply NEVER stops making hot water while the flow is going through it.

For our purposes, I didn't spring for the high flow model, and I don't regret it.

Water at the tap is HOT, certainly as hot as with any conventional heater.

Install was pretty striaghtforwad, except that the water inlet and output are on the bottom, so is the gas line, so there was some more plumbing involved than simply swapping like a standard tank.

ALso, there's now a TON of room in the hot water closet.

I give it a 9 of 10, not sure why it's not perfect, I guess nothing is.          
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Putting two big Rinnai on the new house. I will never not have hot water again.  So help me God.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
My parents are looking into replacing their water heater.  So my father and I have been looking into a tankless unit.  They come in different sizes,  so you can use more than one faucet at a time.  But they do cost more.  My parents like the idea that when they have company that you don't have to fight to be the first in the shower in the morning to get the hot water.  And that you aren't paying to keep water hot.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Our electric water heater is on one end of the house with the kitchen/laundry room/ 1/2 bath. Our 2 bathrooms are at the other end.

I was thinking of installing one for just the main baths. Is there one big enough to run a shower and one sink in the 2 baths without Icecapades?- since the children moved out we would rarely run both showers at one time, 'tho that capability would be nice. Last criteria- must be electric. I live in TVA land where juice is (relatively) cheap.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The Plumber that is doing the new Wind Homestead was against them...I told him that is what I wanted, helooked into it nad said he found a 12 gpm one he could go with. Well wht means both showers, the two heads in the masterbath and have 3 GPMs left. Most people get a single use one and try to use for the whole house.
The Plumber is has an excellent reputation and stands behind his work.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Well i'm looking into getting one that will run more than one outlet. We have 2 baths right above each other and the boiler room is right next to the downstairs bath so the water wont have far to travel. I looked at the rinnai units and i'm looking into the bosch units also. thanks for the updates. Also looking forward to the extra room in the boiler room!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
BTDT

If your incoming water is below 60 degrees, you will be disappointed.  I would only recomend them for the deep south.  My incoming water is about 40 degrees in the winter and a tankless can't overcome that handicap.

Don't say that you weren't warned.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]
my parents got one. takes a slight time longer to get hot water but once it starts it stays hot forever
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I am a gas service worker and BEFORE you spend the cash you need to do a BTU check of your appliances. Most tankless WHs use a LOT of gas, somewhere around 100 to 150 thousand BTUs per hour. You have to make sure your meter can handle it or it will need to be upgraded, with two I GUARANTEE you will need a larger then normal meter. There is usually a charge for that, at least our company does. You have to have enough flow to keep your inches of W.C. above 5 and 7 is better. Do it BEFORE you install it and start having problems. I am seeing it more and more. Your Utility Company can do a check for you. I don't think we even charge for that. Good luck, I have seen some that do a great job and some that frankly suck, the water is never really hot and the costs associated with it negate any positives.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Be aware that you'll probably have to use a larger vent pipe in order to meet code since they have a much larger flame than a conventional water heater.

Ed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top