Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 3:19:26 AM EDT
Why is it that some places make me use a pin number and others don't concern themselves about it when i use my debit card?

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:33:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Because they are treating it like a credit card...If you go to the market and they say "credit ot Debit" say Debit and you'll need the PIN...If you use it to buy gas at an automated pump, it's treated as credit.
If you use it somewhere and want cash back it'll be debit AND they'll charge you a fee for using it in an atm that is not theirs...

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Always use credit, that way you don't have to use a pin
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#4]
The owner of a local store, who has a device that allows you to input your PIN when using debit, told me that when someone pays with a credit card he gets charged the customary 1-3% but when they use a debit card he doesn't get charged.  

The implication was that if a PIN wasn't input, even a debit card transaction results in the CC charge to him.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:42:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Refuse to give them your pin number, thats what I do, I tell them to print out a reciept and I will sign it, but I am not punching in my pin number.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]
If they skim your info, your pin number is useless anyway

Quoted:
Refuse to give them your pin number, thats what I do, I tell them to print out a reciept and I will sign it, but I am not punching in my pin number.

If they "skim" your card, they do not need your pinh.gif
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#7]
You do realise that the PIN is for your protection, if places stop asking for the PIN then what good is it?  If you worried about them stealing you pin, well they already have all the info on the card, and thats all thats needed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The owner of a local store, who has a device that allows you to input your PIN when using debit, told me that when someone pays with a credit card he gets charged the customary 1-3% but when they use a debit card he doesn't get charged.  

The implication was that if a PIN wasn't input, even a debit card transaction results in the CC charge to him.  

That's BS. My bank told me it was the other way around. You get charged a smalle fee(like a quarter or something) for using debit. But when you use it as credit it's free(the bank said something about how credit card companies work). So whenever possible use it as credit.
And my bank statements always seem to agree with this.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you run it through as a credit, do you get fraud protection on the purchase?  ie paypal purchases and internet purchases?

Depends on what your bank offers. It's all about the bank and what you have set up. If you have any questions about these things you should contact your bank since they handle all of these matters.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Just remember:

Your card only needs to go through ONCE.

If you see your card swiped through two readers or "up and back" in a machine, your info is being stolen.  If you can't swipe the card yourself at a POS terminal...pass and go to the next store.  

NorCal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top