Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 11:51:19 AM EDT
The recoil starter on my parent's mower broke.

Dad showed mom how to start it with the electric drill.

MOWER

This movie was made this spring.

Last week Dad said that she somehow managed to start it with the drill in reverse.
And she mowed the entire lawn with it running backwards.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#1]
so the muffler was supplying and atomizing fuel?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It is a 2-stroke engine.
The carb and reed valves don't care which direction the crank is rotating.
As long as the piston moves, it creates vacuum and sucks fuel into the cylinder.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

forgive me if I'm sounding like an idiot, but doesn't the piston and combustion chamber not know which direction the crankshaft is moving, since it only sees reciprocal motion?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Ihave to see this when I get home.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a 2-stroke engine.
As long as the piston moves, it creates vacuum and sucks fuel into the cylinder.

ah, I figured it was a 4 stroke.  I cant say that I've ever come across a 2 stroke lawnmower.  guess thats what I get for being a desert rat
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I was expecting to see bumbling humorous frustration.

Good for your mom that she is competent with such matters.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#7]
It might of started backwards but it may of turned and ran correctly. I know most RC 2 strokes will do that
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to use one of those an/M-4 flame thrower compressors with a honda engine retrofit. The guy who owned it had managed to break off the recoil starter and flywheel shroud assembly somehow. He would start it with an electric drill and T handle allen wrench.  I used an air drill and a T I welded up out of drill rod. Worked pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a Lawnboy 2 stroke.  Kewl.

I thought this was going to be the Flying lawnmower to "Cottoneyed Joe" clip.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
 Lawn Boy made 2 stroke lawn mowers.2 strokes will run backwards, especially if the timing is close to , or at TDC.Old Harley Davidson brand golf carts had 2 stroke engines. They had forward & reverse without using a transmission. The engine was started one way for forward, then stopped. The starter motor was switched to reverse which started the engine in reverse.

As stated earlier, 2stokes don't care which way the crank rotates, the piston still goes up & down. Intake & exhaust duties are controlled by ports cut into the cylinder which are opened & closed as piston moves up & down.Intake & exhaust "timing" is the same then regardless of which direction the crank rotates.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 Lawn Boy made 2 stroke lawn mowers.

I just bought a brand new lawnboy two months ago.

It is a 2-stroke.

I was told lawnboy stopped making them in 2004, and I happened to get a leftover.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Lawn Boy made 2 stroke lawn mowers.

I just bought a brand new lawnboy two months ago.

It is a 2-stroke.

I was told lawnboy stopped making them in 2004, and I happened to get a leftover.

Cool. I love lawnboy 2 strokes. They last forever. My dad has a lawnboy that is 15 years old and he mows the lawn at least twice a week in the summertime. The thing still runs like a champ.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

forgive me if I'm sounding like an idiot, but doesn't the piston and combustion chamber not know which direction the crankshaft is moving, since it only sees reciprocal motion?

I have reverse on my 2004 Ski-Doo Summit 600.  The computer actually slows the motor to near stall and then advances or retards the timing ( I'm not sure which) to the point where the motor fires backwards and I can back my machine off the trailer.  It's pretty freakin' cool.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]
A friend of mine had a Fokker Triplane replica with a Warner Scarab radial engine.  We used to have to hand prop it to start it.  Sometimes it would backfire and go the other way, with the prop pushing instead of pulling.

We used to do it on purpose to mess with people at the airport, we'd start it and he would back out of the hangar.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
30 years ago, we had a GMC truck with a Detroit Diesel, which was a 2 cycle. The driver stalled it out while backing it through a ditch, but it restarted on its own.

I ran up to him and shouted: “Turn it off. The engine’s running backwards.’

He did. He then asked: “How did you know it was running backwards?”

“Simple,” I said, “Black exhaust smoke was coming out of the air intake on the hood.”

2 cycles can run backwards.

We had to change the oil in the air cleaner.

viator
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Most small 2 stroke engines will run in either direction, when I used to fly model planes and hand started them you would have one bump and run backwards from time to time, when we went to electric starters it became pretty rare.  Of course we never intentionally tried to start one backwards.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#17]
One advantage of a 2 stroke lawn mower is that you can mow at a steep angle with out burning up the motor.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#18]
As stated earlier, 2stokes don't care which way the crank rotates, the piston still goes up & down. Intake & exhaust duties are controlled by ports cut into the cylinder which are opened & closed as piston moves up & down.Intake & exhaust "timing" is the same then regardless of which direction the crank rotates.

Two strokes have porting in the cylinders, and a valve which controls intake into the crankcase.  IF the 2-stroke has a reed valve, such as the little Cox .049 Thimbledrome, or the large weedwacker type spark ignition engines, they can run backwards.

But most RC model engines the intake is controlled through a rotary valve that is milled into the crankshaft.  The only way they will run backwards is if they are flooded, and they will only run until the fuel puddled in the crankcase is expended.  While running backwards, they run slow, sputtering and spitting fuel out of the carb, and just for a few seconds until the muffler fills with exhaust... no air, no run.

If the lawnmower is a 2-stroke with reed valve, it will easily run either way.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Go ahead and finish this for me.

You might be a redneck if ...

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Seriously - you put a video of YOUR OWN MOTHER on the internet?

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

yeah, but she's hot
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I stumbled into this very problem with my chainsaw.....it was damn cold and it some how started running backwards.  In no time I had trees standing back up all around, before I realized what was wrong.

Here up north when it gets cold them Lawnboys don't like to start.  I use a cordless Dewalt drill to start mine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Go ahead and finish this for me.

You might be a redneck if ...

We wondered how long until someone said that.
Although mom was sure someone would call her a dumbass long before being called a redneck.

And YES, we put of a video of my own mother.  Why not?

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, but she's hot

+1
that was pretty cool using a drill as a electric start. I thought it was going to be a Vonage moment
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I thought that she would've been hot or something....
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yeah that's it, some dude is going to video his own Mother bending over provocatively and yanking on that ripcord for the perverts of the world to watch
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

DUDE!   She's my mother.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a 2-stroke engine.

That's true. When I was a kid, we had a 2-stroke Indian 50cc mini-bike. We could roll-start it easily pushing the thing backwards. The engine would crank up backwards and all forward gears would then be a reverse.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That's true. When I was a kid, we had a 2-stroke Indian 50cc mini-bike. We could roll-start it easily pushing the thing backwards. The engine would crank up backwards and all forward gears would then be a reverse.

Did you ever get out of second gear in reverse?

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That'd be quite a sight goin down the highway.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Your mom is hot...seriously.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#32]
The only two strokes that don't care which way they run are the ones with reed valve induction. Rotary valve or crank inducted motors  will only run one way.

Unless we are talking about giving them a straight shot of prime in the sparkplug hole...

Dave
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never got out of first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top