Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 7:42:39 PM EDT
A question came up in another thread about sound under water.

Since sound needs moecules for it to occur and water is heavier than air, I assumed sound had a shorter travel in water than air.

What say you?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#1]
have u ever farted underwater in a public pool??
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The denser the medium. the fast sound travels.

air < water < metal

edit, as for a shorter travel, no.. the distance from the event and the observer is irrelevent to the density of the medium.

edit #2 Why in god's red mars did you even ask such a thing?

edit #3 Oh! Will the wave go father? Yes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A question came up in another thread about sound under water.

Since sound needs moecules for it to occur and water is heavier than air, I assumed sound had a shorter travel in water than air.

What say you?

Sgat1r5

Water transmits sound far better than air.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the dense the medium the fast sound travels.

air < water < metal

Okay, I understand that.  But will it travel farther also?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
yes
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the dense the medium the fast sound travels.

air < water < metal

Okay, I understand that.  But will it travel farther also?

Sgat1r5

Yes, why do you think sonar can hear whales hundreds of miles away.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If I'm not mistaken, sound travels 4 time faster  in water.
CJ
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Also remember the Ultra Low Frequency radio in (Michigan/Minnesota) that the Navy uses to communicate with submerged submarines around the world. Now the frequency is so low, and so slow, they do not transmit actual messages but rather a signal to come up to antenna depth and receive the intended message.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Also remember the Ultra Low Frequency radio in (Michigan/Minnesota) that the Navy uses to communicate with submerged submarines around the world. Now the frequency is so low, and so slow, they do not transmit actual messages but rather a signal to come up to antenna depth and receive the intended message.

yes, but that is EM, not sound. off topic.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Sound has far more "force"  in water, it has recently been discoved that some whales and dolphins use sound as a weapon to stun or kill prey.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Sound travels much better in water.

Even better in metal

The denser the better for sound.

It's because it's a pressure wave.  It needs a medium to travel through.  the more medium thats there the better it travels.  Unlike EM waves like light and radio(a form of light) which don't need a medium but are effected by mediums that they pass through.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
If a bear farts in the forrest and no one's around to hear it, does it still make a sound?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
If a tree falls in the forest and no one's around does somebody still protest?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If a bear farts in the forrest and no one's around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

Yes.

And it smells too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yes, why do you think sonar can hear whales hundreds of miles away.  

I don't know...I HATE water!

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Tell you what.  You stick your head underwater and sing all the verses of the national anthem while I listen at my kitchen sink faucet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Tell you what.  You stick your head underwater and sing all the verses of the national anthem while I listen at my kitchen sink faucet.

Brb.................

Sgatr1`5
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, but that is EM, not sound. off topic.

topic -----> <----- me

Duuhhh

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm gonna through my $.02 in here.....first i'd like to state that i just got out of the navy after 10 years as a submariner.....sound travels alot farther underwater.....a whole lot farther.....it was not uncommon to hear freight ships hundreds of miles away.......it works like this.....water is more dense so the molecules are more efficient at transfering the "wave" or energy of the sound.  sound travels faster and farther underwater.....temperature, salinity, and water pressure(depth) all contribute to the SVP (sound velocity profile)

As far as radio trans......ELF is the type of transmission you are speaking of that subs use to receive messages submerged.....they travel into the earth and are thousands of feet from crest to crest.  it doesn't take alot of data to say............ NUKE-EM......lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, water is much more incompressible than air so sound travels faster and farther.  Much father.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm gonna through my $.02 in here.....first i'd like to state that i just got out of the navy after 10 years as a submariner.....sound travels alot farther underwater.....a whole lot farther.....it was not uncommon to hear freight ships hundreds of miles away.......it works like this.....water is more dense so the molecules are more efficient at transfering the "wave" or energy of the sound.  sound travels faster and farther underwater.....temperature, salinity, and water pressure(depth) all contribute to the SVP (sound velocity profile)

How does salt affect it?

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How does salt affect it?

SGat1r5

Check out www.dosits.org/science/sndmoves/1.htm

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does salt affect it?

SGat1r5

Halocline.  Common where fresh water flows into a bay.  Since fresh water is less dense, it floats on top of the salt water.  This layer of water with slightly different density refracts the acoustics and can block or attenuate the signal.

Likewise with a thermocline.

Sound travels faster, only slightly faster, in higher density water.  Therefore, cold, salty water has the fastest sound propagation.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does salt affect it?

SGat1r5

THANKS!

So it must be hard to messure distance at times.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does salt affect it?

SGat1r5

THANKS!

So it must be hard to messure distance at times.

SGatr15

I would guess ...  YES
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Thank you for the link... I learned from it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top