Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2005 9:45:51 AM EDT
I am trying to get in touch with a vet that I know and have dealt with in the past, but I can't seem to reach him. I need some advice in a bad way!

My 2-year old black lab/chow mix, Dooner, ran off last evening. He ended up getting hit by a car. I didn't see it so I dont know anything about the impact severity.

I took him to one of those emergency vet clinics, and for $70.00 I was informed that they wanted another $800.00 to take a couple of x-rays and put him on an IV for shock. Reminds me of the way a funeral director takes advantage of people grieveing.

As much as I care for the dog I wasn't out to get swindled. I ended up bringing him home for observation.

He seems lucid, he has stopped panting, and he isn't whining or yelping, or exhibiting any other signs of being in great pain. He likely weighs 30 lbs. His pupils are equal and reactive. His resperations seem normal now, after he stopped panting. He struggles to stand up but gives up and lays back down.

His hind quarters just wont support him for very long. When he was trying to get home after the incident, his hindquarters would carry him a few steps, then 'roll off' to one side no longer supporting his weight. It looks as if his right hip has been displaced. He seems to favor laying on his left side with the suspect hip elevated.

He was moving around the jeep durring the ride and moved from seat to seat when I got out to go in the store, etc. Can the dislocation be reduced? Without an invasive procedure?

I was also told by a friend that benydryl will sedate a dog. Is that so? Any other OTC meds that work on dogs? I realize it is equine, but can a dog take distracillin or something similar that has pain meds built in? Is there a pain medication I can get at the farm store? I have syringes and know how to give a critter a shot.

Dooner almost went the way of the 45acp last night, but I decided to give him a chance and see how he did overnight. He seems somewhat normal save for his hindquarters.

All he has taken orally since the incident has been about a quart of water.

July has been a shitty month. My Dad died the 5th and now my only companion is hurt. I don't want to loose him too if I can help it! I just don't have thousands of dollars to be screwed out of.

Any info/advice would help. Thank you.

UPDATE:

I just brought my dog home from the vet. He now has a 'cant' to his pelvis. His back was apparently twisted substantially.

He is doing very well otherwise. I truly appreciate all the prayers and good wishes.

Incidently, the Doc said he hadn't gotten ANY of my 4 messages to call me. He seemed genuinly pissed off about not getting my messages. Mumbled something about 'firing' his 'service'.

For those of you who wanted to clean my clock for not spending thousands of dollars, I told the vet about the emergency clinic wanting to charge me $870.00 before they could tell me if the dog would live....he laughed out loud and said that was "ludicrous".

The total bill for his good work, 2 x-rays, and 3 days kennel time.....$74.00. I feel vindicated.

Dooner will walk sort of funny, but at least I've got my buddy home!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#1]
My GF's vet told her to give her dog a baby asprin after it had surger if it wasn't feeling well. Then again it was a small dog.

Hope he's OK, best wishes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm NOT a Vet, but it sounds like some kind of inflamation around the spine or nerve damage.  It COULD be broken bones causing it.  If your normal vet is open I would go straight to him.  It sounds like the injury has some pretty distinct symptoms, which may make it possible for them to exclude some x-rays based on what it clearly isn't.

I would not stall, if there is something broken it is being aggravated with each move.

Take thine pet to a vet NOW.

shooter
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#3]
If you weren't satisfied with the 1st vet...then find a 2nd...but it sounds like it's not gonna be cheap.  The main thing is to get your friend to the vet...I can't imagine how much pain he's in.  He needs treatment right away.  Hope all works out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I am waiting on my vet to call me back. He won't be in the office for another 2 hours.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quit posting on the board and get him to a VET asap.... Its 2pm, im sure there are several open within a hours drive distance from you....He may just have somthing disloacted but you wont get answers over the internet, only a doc can help you with the dog in his office.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#6]
You know what's best for the dog.

And it's gotta be done.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And it's gotta be done.

Sgat1r5

Downing a family pet isnt always the only option. If you value your pets life do what you have to to save it. My last large vet bill for my black lab was over 1200.00 ......  Shes worth every penny......
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#8]
yeah dude, if there is something displaced, circulation could be cut off or impaired.  You dont want to just let him suffer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Is $800 really that big of a deal when compared to 10+ years of companionship???  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it's gotta be done.

Sgat1r5

Downing a family pet isnt always the only option. If you value your pets life do what you have to to save it. My last large vet bill for my black lab was over 1200.00 ......  Shes worth every penny......

I'm not spending anymore on a dog than it costs to replace it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#10]
 Had a lab/retriever mix ( with a bit of chow also ) and when he suffered a dislocated hip ( from HUMPING another dog, of all things! ) I sat in the kitchen with a 45 bullet in one hand and a thousand dollar check in the other.............................................................................I dropped the bullet and spent the cash I really couldn't afford at the time....never regretted it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it's gotta be done.

Sgat1r5

What a terrible thing to say
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it's gotta be done.

Sgat1r5

And putting your family into financial ruin for a pet is a terrible thing to do, but I see it happen.
It's a real shame certainly, but there is a limit.  Would you have your child go without new clothes
to keep the dog on chemo?   There is a line......everyone has to decide where.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it's gotta be done.

Sgat1r5

+1 to that
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
yeah dude, if there is something displaced, circulation could be cut off or impaired.  You dont want to just let him suffer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Is $800 really that big of a deal when compared to 10+ years of companionship???  

+1
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It appears money is an issue with this man.  So instead of the animal suffering, another option is that the animal be put down and you buy another dog.

With the money saved on vet bills you can buy a better gate.

SGatr15

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#16]
You don't have to do anything, let nature and the dog either heal itself or die.  Dogs are tough creatures I have had 2 get hit and at times it seemed they were going to die.  2 weeks later and it was like it never happened.  
If you don't have the money to spend then just let it be, its not inhumane its just life.
I grew up with very little and my dad would never take an animal to the vet because we couldn't afford it, if it was bad enough he just took a pipe to it.  I have seen lots of animals recover just left alone.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it's gotta be done.

Sgat1r5

It's a dog/cat/pet you can get another one just like it. Without blowing money.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

And it's gotta be done.

Sgat1r5

If you were a dog and I were your vet Id heartly agree.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You don't have to do anything, let nature and the dog either heal itself or die.  Dogs are tough creatures I have had 2 get hit and at times it seemed they were going to die.  2 weeks later and it was like it never happened.  
If you don't have the money to spend then just let it be, its not inhumane its just life.
I grew up with very little and my dad would never take an animal to the vet because we couldn't afford it, if it was bad enough he just took a pipe to it.  I have seen lots of animals recover just left alone.  

This is why I like my dogs better than 99.9% of all humans. Dogs give unconditional loyalty and ask for little in return. Hell why even bother buying them food, let nature take its course, they either find something to eat or die.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it's gotta be done.

Sgat1r5

And how come you don't say the same thing about your wife?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it's gotta be done.

Sgat1r5

And how come you don't say the same thing about your wife?

Because a wife is a HUMAN as in a real person. A pet is an ANIMAL as in not a person.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If it was a Cat, I'd say get the Ruger .22lr out. However, dogs are aware and have a bond with humans.

Dogs are tough. My lab jumped out of the truck at 50 mph one day. I saw him in the rear view mirror skating on the pavement like he was on ice. A few scraps and scratches was all he got. Jumped right back in the truck but hobbled a bit.

Give it a day. If the dog can move around, he has no broken bones. If he swells and cannot move without yelping, it looks bad.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I cannot believe some of these comments. Get the damn dog medical attention, if you didn't like the first estimate, get another ASAP. Get him some type of vet care.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If it was a Cat, I'd say get the Ruger .22lr out. However, dogs are aware and have a bond with humans. .

Are you saying cats doin't bond?

Because that's just stupid.

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it was a Cat, I'd say get the Ruger .22lr out. However, dogs are aware and have a bond with humans.

Dogs are tough. My lab jumped out of the truck at 50 mph one day. I saw him in the rear view mirror skating on the pavement like he was on ice. A few scraps and scratches was all he got. Jumped right back in the truck but hobbled a bit.

Give it a day. If the dog can move around, he has no broken bones. If he swells and cannot move without yelping, it looks bad.

My cat is aware and we have a bond.  He loves me and looks up to me.  He thinks I am great.
Lord help me to be the person my cat thinks I am.

ETA: Sarge, I know...I used the expression Lord.  I mean the Creator.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it was a Cat, I'd say get the Ruger .22lr out. However, dogs are aware and have a bond with humans. .

Are you saying cats doin't bond?

Because that's just stupid.

SGat1r5

My neighbors cats bond with me by shitting/pissing on my property.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My cat is aware and we have a bond.  He loves me and looks up to me.  He thinks I am great.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What  a shame to not have another living thing think you are worth a shit.

Oh well, it's probably true.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#29]
some of you people are real turd smears.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I took Dooner in to the vets office at 2:30...the Doc was supposed to be in at 3PM. OK, so now he's in a kennel at the vets' office.

I tell the girl there to have the vet call me ASAP. At 6:30 I call and he's 'gone for the day'. I tell the girl on the phone that I want to know what's up with my dog. She stammers and hemmm's around like she didn't know what to say. I told her, "Call Leif and have him call me back".

"Well, what's your number?"

"I gave it to you twice already, when I told you to have the Doc call me! It's xxx-xxxx. I am paying the man to doctor my dog, I want to talk to him."

"I'll see what I can do."

Well, shit. Is it just me?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

What your cat thinks of you:

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#33]

His hind quarters just wont support him for very long. When he was trying to get home after the incident, his hindquarters would carry him a few steps, then 'roll off' to one side no longer supporting his weight. It looks as if his right hip has been displaced. He seems to favor laying on his left side with the suspect hip elevated.

Sounds like a possible pelvic fracture

He was moving around the jeep durring the ride and moved from seat to seat when I got out to go in the store, etc. Can the dislocation be reduced? Without an invasive procedure? Yes
if addressed quickly

I was also told by a friend that benydryl will sedate a dog. Is that so? Any other OTC meds that work on dogs? I realize it is equine, but can a dog take distracillin or something similar that has pain meds built in? Is there a pain medication I can get at the farm store? I have syringes and know how to give a critter a shot. They may have Ascriptin

Dooner almost went the way of the 45acp last night, but I decided to give him a chance and see how he did overnight. He seems somewhat normal save for his hindquarters.

All he has taken orally since the incident has been about a quart of water.

July has been a shitty month. My Dad died the 5th and now my only companion is hurt. I don't want to loose him too if I can help it! I just don't have thousands of dollars to be screwed out of.

Any info/advice would help. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I know this sounds mean... Go to the vet right now, and spend the money.

OR

Take him to the back yard after giving him a good meal, a petting, and do'nt use a .22 LR... Make it painless.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
some of you people are real turd smears.

And this surprises you how ? You either get it or you don't . If you don't then most of the smears make sense .
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#36]
hope he's ok
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#37]
We had this happen last Nov. Broken hip and pelvis. X-ray looked like hell. Dislocated hip nothing lined up. Vet said 3k surgery. or force rest.
He did not feel surgery would have a better out come than force rest.
Held our breath waiting for 1st bowel movement
a week plus if I remember right
Took a long time for her to get her bladder control back. like 6 weeks
A lot of puppy pads used
Made he stand every few hours or so using a towel for a sling in the rear
after aweek more or less started making he walk
I had to take a lot of the weight off he with towel
She did not plant her bad side foot flat at 1st It had to be re learned
Could support very little weight at 1st
Tried to walk her every hour or so.
I was out sick at time.
She started to get stronger
She gets around pretty good now
Coyotes teied to get her last week
Twisted her bad side up
Was laid up a week +
Getting better
She is doing well again.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Sorry pal.  I've been in your place a few times.

The vet is probably keeping him to see what's going to happen.  The real concern here is internal injuries and internal bleeding.  Not much you can do but wait.  The cost and risks envolved of exploratory surgery is really not an option and knowing he has broken bones doesn't help if he's bleeding internally.  It is about all you can do is wait.  If there's abdominal swelling by morning the vet may do something or advise something.  Then he will probably take a look at the bones.  Remember there isn't a doggie blood bank.  

Actually the dogs better off at the vet for he's not distracted and can rest peacably.  You're better off with him there too for the stress is worse if he's there with you.  

Tonights a good time to say prayer or two for it's not in your hands anymore.  You have done all you can do.  

If it means anything, I had one hit with the same symptoms and she pulled through. She lived for another seven years although obvious her hip hurt.  

Good luck and keep us posted not all of us are assholes and we are supportive to our members.

Tj

Best response in this thread. ^5 to you.

I'd say something about sgtar15's sense of entitlement to offer his personal comment (I shudder to refer to it as advice) to practically each and every member here who posts about any type of situation they find themselves in - but that might be considered a personal attack considering the other crap he's posting today about Staff. I like his sense of humor, just don't care for the sense of superiority.

Did a veterinarian even respond in this thread? Isn't that who it was directed to?

pcsutton I hope things work out in your dog's favor. Already said a little prayer for both of you, no matter how it turns out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Prayers sent Sutton.

The same thing happened to my cat. They just gave us steroids to give her for pain and she rested alot. She pulled through and seems pretty normal now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I feel you man, prayers for your *FAMILY MEMBER*

Find a vet ASAP even if it isnt your normal vet, at least get a second opinion.  I had X-rays and they are not fucking 800 dollars.  Maybe 50 to a 100 at most.  Keep us posted.

I had to put my dog of 18 years to sleep a few months ago (I'm 22).  He was getting so he couldn't walk.  He couldn't hold it and peed in his bed.  We took time to the vet and had X-rays.  Turns out he had some kind of growth (cancer?) between some of the lower vertebra on his lower spine, vet said one vertebra was completely eaten away, and it was shear luck he hadn't broken his back already.  You could tell he was just in pain constantly at that point.  So we made an apointment to have him put to sleep the next monday and had a good last weekend with him prior to that.  Man carrying him out of the office and putting him in the trunk that monday was tough.  He is buried over looking the house with a  four foot tall washington monument typ grave stone made from concrete.

My view, anyone who kills my dog is killing a member of my pack; my family and will be acted upon accordingly.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

OR

Take him to the back yard after giving him a good meal, a petting, and do'nt use a .22 LR... Make it painless.

I agree completely. If you don't feel like dropping the dime, and you see no signs of improvement...make his last few moments painless and happy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

OR

That's beyond fucked up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Thoughts and prayers for your friend & family member.

Keep us posted.
And +1 for the pointer from TJ.

It's one of the reasons I haven't posted half the shit that's happened over the past 18 months concerning my pets. Just know that there are those of us out here who do care.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I cannot believe some of these comments. Get the damn dog medical attention, if you didn't like the first estimate, get another ASAP. Get him some type of vet care.

+1  Its one thing to determine the cost of care can not be afforded and have the dog put down then to just sit around bickering.  

How is your dog?  Did you get an assessment?  My advice is to get immediate medical attention.  There's no telling how fucked up his inerds are.  Its not something that ignoring will help.  If he's eating and drinking that's a good sign but still gangreen and other bad stuff can creep in.  He needs professional help.

Best of luck,  Patty
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#45]
This is why I like my dogs better than 99.9% of all humans. Dogs give unconditional loyalty and ask for little in return. Hell why even bother buying them food, let nature take its course, they either find something to eat or die.
Tnek,
Our farm is located just outside a big university town, That is exactly what most of the dogs did.  I grew up with the unwanted animals that so called animal loving Turdsmears like you pretend to care so much for.  Don't give me your self rightious crap, dogs like all animals belong in the wild with nature not owed by humans.  I have pets now because my wife and kids wanted them.  I don't want them because I truly understand how much work it takes to care for an animal that you have made dependent on you.  Talk about selfish, all because you feel the need to have companionship that is one sided and easy.  I feel sorry for you that you have such a hard time with humans, grow the F--- up.

Look at yourselves that have wasted life experience and find true meaning in such simple creatures as dogs and cats, then you will say stupid sh!t like I can understand them, or your wrong because my animal is different.  I love animals but they belong in the woods not owned by hedonistic humans.  I was just offering him another option and tring to give him comfort in the knowledge that animals are simple hardy creatures that in many cases will survive thier injuries.

I have taken care of rabbits and cats who were ran over by bush hogs with limbs missing and you can fillin the rest.  Half starved cats and dogs that renters left behind, the same animals that gave them unconditional love until they couldn't pay the rent.  Those animals where left to starve to death OH! thats humane.  I have tried to find homes for them and others were in such a bad way that They had to take a one way hunting trip.  statistically mathmaticians say there is 9 cats for every person on the planet, I see nothing wrong with turning some into feed.  I guess that dosn't hold up for the North Koreans because they are still starving.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Threads like this reinforce my belief that I would spend ANY amount of money to fix my dog up if injured, and most humans aren't worthy of my piss on their guts to put them out if they were on fire.

My dog is unconditionally loyal, loving, and has a personality of his own.  He is worth more than most of the human trash I run across in my daily travels.  He is a family member.  If my vet bill is $5,000 then so be it.  If you can't stomach that, you shouldn't have taken on the commitment of having a fucking dog in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Many here just don't get the real picture,it's a family friend right,it's a domesticated wolf!!

A pet that you would bash others about if they don't feel that the family morgage is more important than!!!

Your wifes car needs new tires,the insurance payment is due,so the man has tried to get help!!!

Some of you people post about the ungodly amount you would spend on a dog,but spend nothing to raise moneys for children with out arms and legs blown off from land mines!!!

Put things into prioritys!!!!

Putting a family pet down is somehow more right than having a vet do it!!!

Hope the Dog gets better,but really to attach another about how they feel they should handle this situation is just plain uncarring!!!

Do what you have to do Bro!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Bump to see how the dog is doing now.  Did the X-rays show any broken bones?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Good luck with this situation, when a dog is more than a pet, it can really turn your logic inside out.  

In any case, based on your postings here, you seem like the type of the person that will make the right call.  As for the rest of you....  give the man what he asked for....some vetranarian advice, not your ethical platform on euthanasia.

Sarge, don't make me click on another one of your religion threads
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#50]
As of 7PM CDT, I still haven't heard form the goddamned vet. I have left word for him to call me four times now. How hard can it be to make a 2 minute phone call? The damned clinic is closed until Monday.

My way of thinking, a vet should be able to x-ray a dog and garner some sense of how badly the animal is hurt. If he needs to be in a cage, unatended all weekend, instead of being here so I can look after him I would like to be informed. Hell, if he is gonna die, I'd rather it be here with me instead of in a dark room in a cage with nobody around.

Before I took him to the vet, he drank about a quart of water. He also stood on all fours. When I went out to open the door on the jeep to load him up, he was standing at the door watching. When we went outside, I set him down to pee....which he did...and there was no blood in his urine. Good sign, no?

Thank you to all those who sent good wishes for my dog. As soon as I find anything out I'll let y'all know.

Those of you who assume I didn't want to spend any money of my dog have gone off the deep end. I only had a problem with commiting to spend $870.00 before I found out if he was even gonna live. Those of you who can't understand that can go piss up a rope! I just lost my Father on the 5th of this month, so yeah, money is a tad tight. Funerals aint cheap. Just don't go accusing me of something you have misunderstood!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top