Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2005 2:41:58 PM EDT
My daughter wants a kitten so I thought okay we'll do the right thing and adopt a poor stray kitten. I went to a pet store that has cats to adopt through a pet rescue foundation and WoW- $150 + an adoption application including references for a cat. I know that they give the cats shots and have them fixed but that seems pretty steep.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
the 150 is to cover the costs associated with putting the kittens up for adoption (getting them fixed, shots, food, etc), and the application with references is just to weed out the less motivated people, and to make sure these guys don't see the cat going through the system again.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn I can get one in like new condition here for free if I ask and go pick it up.

Saw someone giving away free kittens on the side of the road this weekend.

The wonder why no one takes them at that price.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell, when we went to get my Barney, it was 75-but it does cover fixing, shots, microchip(so if it ever gets lost the vets can track it) etc.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Where is the free cat pic, it should be here by now
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
free cat pic  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]
local shelter here has them for 60 bucks all shots and neutered. Check around.

www.animaldefenseleague.org/
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine got his wife a free cat, and after about $3000 in vet bills for parvo and pneumonia, it took a walk in the street and got squashed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A friend of mine got his wife a free cat, and after about $3000 in vet bills for parvo and pneumonia, it took a walk in the street and got squashed.

Known several people to get free animals them dump thousands into getting them repaired
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Damn I can get one in like new condition here for free if I ask and go pick it up.

Saw someone giving away free kittens on the side of the road this weekend.

The wonder why no one takes them at that price.

What does that mean? lol
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#11]
you did a good thing adopting a cat.  there are tons of cats that either are strays or end up getting put to sleep.  i have 2 cats, so i am kinda biased when it comes to felines.

"help control the pet population, please have your pet spayed or neutered"  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Known several people to get free animals them dump thousands into getting them repaired

That is why I am very leery about getting a pet. I myself wouldn't put out the money but my wife would. I keep thinking about the Siesta and Fiesta fiasco- the $3.50 gerbils ended up costing over $70. I couldn't believe my wife wanted to put that much money into trying to keep two rodents alive. It was going to cost $30 just to euthanize one of them. I looked at the vet like she was nuts. The thing is a fucking mouse for crying out loud. How hard could it be to kill? Finally both of them died and we haven't had a pet since.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
free cat pic  

Quoted:

No matter how many times I look at it, the results are the same.Oldie, but goodie.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I found a place I could adopt a cat for less money. It's $95. I filled out an application and submitted it to the organization. The application included providing 3 references. I got a call from a woman from the organization last night. She wanted to contact me and let me know she was getting a hold of my references. She asked me if the cat was going to be kept indoors. I told her that it would be an indoor/outdoor cat. She told me that the contract I was to sign I had to sign off that the cat would be kept strictly indoors. She also said that when I got the cat that she would bring the cat to my home so she could see the living conditions.
          I'll be calling her today to cancel the whole thing. I have no intention of keeping an animal in the house 100% of the time. I don't think it would be good for the cat to keep it inside. It also pisses me off that they want to come to my house to inspect it to see if it is good enough for an animal to live in. My wife and I are very private people (my wife more than me) and basically do not want strangers in our house unless we invite them.  
       I thought it would be a little more convenient than this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#15]
We got a bunch of strays. I can box one up and overnight it to you.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:53:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I had to give away two cats before going to Korea..
I told the folks that called that I wanted to visit their house and verify the living conditions, then I would make a decision. I could have cared less if they were allowed outdoors.

Anyhow, I wanted to best to make sure that I was not giving my cats away to some scumbag...

References, signing a contract, etc...that is just going too far though. Look in the paper, I am sure plenty of people are giving away free cats. Cats are not easy to give away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top