Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2005 8:03:38 AM EDT
I am driving accross country in a couple months.  I want to bring with me my pistol & my M4.
I know in most states it is legal to travel with a firearm if it is seperate from the mags & ammo & also in a case of sorts.
Here in Maine, all firearms are legal to possess without much hassle & I travel freely with them often.
What is it like in these other states, and what is different regarding tolerance, firearms in vehicles, usage in the state, etc.  
Where can I carry a pistol for self defense and not get lam basted by the police in my travels? And how should it be done?
Is there any reciprocity in these other states for using my CCW license?
If my questions aren't clear let me know, & I'll try to refrase them better.

Thanks all who respond. . .

M4-CQBR

<Edit title to make it fit the forum.  --tbk1>
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Utah is good, so is Arizona. I don;t think they'll recognize the CCW, but you should be okay with them seperate, different containers, etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#2]
www.packing.org

You didn't mention, but in case I95 takes you through RI, unloaded and seperate from ammo is OK. If you have an out of state permit and are passing through you can carry, too, if you are permitted to carry where you are going.

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Forget bringing ANY pistol into NYS....f*ckers don't recognize out of state permits, and you must have a NYS permit to POSSESS a pistol in NYS. Its a definite no go...

The M4 probably would be ok...although our dumbass RINO governor, Patacki the douche, got a copycat AW ban passed here, which exactly mirrors the old federal one....but transporting a no ban through might be ok, I don't know for sure....
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Your trip looks good...you stop just before California
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Colorado allows a loaded firearm within reach, but I don't know if it is for non-citizens.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am driving accross country in a couple months.  I want to bring with me my pistol & my M4.
I know in most states it is legal to travel with a firearm if it is seperate from the mags & ammo & also in a case of sorts.
Here in Maine, all firearms are legal to possess without much hassle & I travel freely with them often.
What is it like in these other states, and what is different regarding tolerance, firearms in vehicles, usage in the state, etc.  
Where can I carry a pistol for self defense and not get lam basted by the police in my travels? And how should it be done?
Is there any reciprocity in these other states for using my CCW license?
If my questions aren't clear let me know, & I'll try to refrase them better.

Thanks all who respond. . .

M4-CQBR
us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mo/cg_punisher2poster.jpg

In NY, so long as the handgun is in the trunk and the ammo/mags are locked in a seperate container...and so long as you're just passing through and not stopping for anothing other than gas...the handgun is fine in your trunk.

If you go to visit a friend in NY, or whatever...technically, it'll be construed as an unlicensed handgun and you may be arrested, should you give a cop a reason to request to search your vehicle (you can always tell him "no", but we all know how that'll just rile cops in NY...)

The rifle, if it's a pre-ban, will also be good go to. If it's a no-ban/post-post-ban with evil features, it will not be good to go.  Realistically no one really cares about the ban, but it is technically illegal.  Again, locked in the trunk, with the ammo/mags in a seperate locked container.

As far as usage in the state goes...again, illegal to use either in the state. Without a NYS Pistol Permit, you can't even legally handle a handgun, let alone shoot it, let alone possess it.  

Once again, this is all technically. Realistically, depending on where you are, people just might not care (if you're far and away from metro areas, no one will really care, in general)...

But, like I said...if you're just driving through, you should be fine with both, locked in the trunk.

NJ, same thing. So long as you're passing through, no worries. NJ requires a firearm owner's ID card with long arms and handguns. If you don't have one (and you don't), you're hosed if you're stopped and searched if you're not just passing through. The rifle is definitily banned there as well.  Realistically it's not a big problem if it's locked in the trunk and whatnot, but just as in NY; stopping and visiting folks is out, and forget going and shooting them. You could probably get away with shooting the handgun, but definitily not the AR.

PA, no problem. I don't know if your permit is recgonized in PA (go to www.packing.org; they'll have a list of states that honor your permit), but you can drive through, stop, whatever in the state and no one will bat an eye.

I don't know about NH or VT or MA or RI or CT, though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#7]
You can have a pistol in your vehicle anywhere - UNLOADED - in New Hampshire - without a CCW.

Keep all your guns locked if going through Massachusetts - you may pass through Mass. to go to a separate state but without a valid Mass Licens to Carry - All Lawful Purposes - FORGET carrying legally or otherwise.

Check the NRA and Packing.org for recirprocity laws with other states. Plan on keeping your guns locked up in Mass, Conn., NY, NJ, and other Communist states.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 on packing.org
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately Indiana and Utah are the only 2 states on your list that honor a Maine CCW permit.  While open carry is certainly legal in many states, including NH, it can often bring along with it some rather unwanted problems of its own.  You can open carry anywhere in the state of NH except a court house or an area that is used by the court.  You cannot have a loaded firearm in your car in NH unless you have a pistol/revolver license, which will exempt you from the following law;

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

However, you can apply for a non-resident CCW permit in NH by going here webster.state.nh.us/safety/nhsp/plupr.html

NH is a shall-issue state, and as long as you have a permit from your home state already issued, they can't deny your application.  Fee for non-residents is $20.  The license is good for 4 years.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Should be okay in IL, but check packing.org as suggested to be sure.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Arizona: Anywhere in the car if in a holster or other container (glove box works just fine, as do center consoles.) Loaded or unloaded matters not.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#12]
In OH, as long as the weapons and ammo are secured separately (ie., weapons in locked container separate from the mags and ammo), you're good to go. I'm not so sure about the bigger cities where they have AWBs in place, though. Avoid them (if possible) and you'll be OK. I shouldn't have to say it but, no matter where you are, if you're stopped and the Officer asks to search your car, JUST SAY NO!!! Nicely and respectfully, but JUST SAY NO!!! If they ask, they're most likely fishing for some excuse to gig you for something. Be nice and respectful and you should be OK there, too. IIRC, OH still doesn't have CCW recopricity with any other state so you're SOL there. Good luck and have a good trip.

Bub
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Arizona: Anywhere in the car if in a holster or other container (glove box works just fine, as do center consoles.) Loaded or unloaded matters not.

+1

I love this state
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I love this state

After reading the post, I should add that anywhere in the car does not include on your hip, under your shirt. Anywhere in the car means "in the car". If you are wearing it, part of it must be visible......
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#15]
you can go through NJ; that is about it.
Legal at origin, legal at destination.... no problem going through. (I travel through NJ all the time going to PA)

NJ does not honor CCW. (Remarks based on 5 year old knowlege from when I lived there)
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Forget bringing ANY pistol into NYS....f*ckers don't recognize out of state permits, and you must have a NYS permit to POSSESS a pistol in NYS. Its a definite no go...

The M4 probably would be ok...although our dumbass RINO governor, Patacki the douche, got a copycat AW ban passed here, which exactly mirrors the old federal one....but transporting a no ban through might be ok, I don't know for sure....

If that M4gery's got a 14.5" barrel or any type of collapsing stock you can forget it. Don't come to NY, it's a shithole.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Laws in IL state:

You may transport a firearm legally through the state in accordance with Federal Law.

In addition:

Owner must have drivers license.  FOID as well for IL residents.
Firearm must not be loaded.  Loaded Mags are OK.
Firearm must be enclosed in a case, box or other container.
No concealed carry or reciprocity.

Magazines may be loaded and enclosed with the firearm, just not IN the gun.
Case doesn't have to be locked or even designed for a gun.
Guns are not limited to the trunk.
Some jurisdictions prohibit importing guns, but they can't prohibit you from travelling through with them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#18]
You are good in Indiana we accept all CCW's, just not everyone likes ours.  The rifle will have to be stored seperate and unloaded.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#19]
as for the M4wannabe..........if you keep it in a gun case, with no ammo in it, you should have no problem in any of the states your will passing through..............part of the FOPA of 86 enables you as a non-resident, to travel through that state that may have restriction of type of firearm, for their people.

as for the CCW...........best advice I can give you is check with PACKING.ORG, on exactly which state has resporical agreements with your state about CCW......or go to each state's web site and find out the info for yourself.......with those states that don't have resprocrial agreements...... or don't allow CCW, like NYS, better put that handgun in a case and secure it in a trunk.

there was a guy from vermont, or one of the NE states that got pulled over here in ohio, that got arretsed for CCW (before the CCW law)........also check the laws, ohio has a very strange law regarding CCW.....the person has to basically open carry if in a vechicle....not sure of the exact working of the law. and I'm not sure of ohio has a resprocial agreement with other states that allow for CCW. again , check very carefully each state law, is about all I can tell you........it will really put a damper on your travel to get pulled over in dirtwater, anystate and find out that you have broken a law and  end up in jail. then have to travel back for your court date.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Post ban , neutered rifles in NJ only.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#21]
CT does not recognize any other state's permits, but is shall issue for non-resident CCW and can be done through the mail.  If you don't have a CT CCW, then the following applies...

Q43. May a non-resident of Connecticut transport handguns in this state when he comes into (or goes through) Connecticut when taking part in pistol competitions (in or out of Connecticut) or when attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized collectors' group (in or out of Connecticut)?

A. Yes, but only if and while he or she meets EACH of the following requirements:

(1) Is a bona fide resident of the United States. (2) Holds a valid permit or license to carry a firearm issued by another state, city, town, etc., within the United States. (3) The purpose is strictly as stated above.

(Note: Weapon should be stored unloaded, in a locked container, not accessible to the passengers in the vehicle

this is from the CT Board of Firearm Permit Examiners. www.bfpe.state.ct.us/faqs/FAQ3.htm

btw. go here for info for every state... www.packing.org

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#22]
In NH, a loaded magazine constitutes a loaded weapon even if its not in the gun. If you're in Maine you should get the non-rez permit anyway so you can come spend tourist dollars and carry
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#23]
KS requires that it be visible I think. And unloaded.
Otherwise it's considered concealed, which is still illegal until we manage to get rid of the governor.

On the seat, unloaded, in plain sight is where I usually keep mine while driving, but my former room mate always kept his under the seat.

If you get stopped, as long as you don't pick the thing up and start waving it around, the cops aren't going to say much either way.

The bonus for having it put away I guess is that they just don't see it, so they don't ask about it unless you give them some reason to search your car. Then of course they can cite you for it, but I've never known any that do, unless you've ticked 'em off for something else.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Post ban , neutered rifles in NJ only.

that is for residents of NJ.......not for people traveling through that state to go to another destination.......  the safe passage protection act of the FOPA of 86 will let you pass through those states that have restrictive gun laws for it's citizens...........in a nutshell, you must be able to legally possess the gun at both ends of the trip, it must be unloaded, locked and in a box, gun case You can not stop for sighseeing or to visit someone. You can stop for food, gas or sleep if you have to but the quicker you get in and get out the better.

http://www.gunlaw.com/interstate.phtml

folks travel all the time with MG, NFA type weapons, and no-ban semi autos, going to a shoot, that have to go through states or cities that prohibit MG or no ban weapons for their citizens.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
KS requires that it be visible I think. And unloaded.
Otherwise it's considered concealed, which is still illegal until we manage to get rid of the governor.

On the seat, unloaded, in plain sight is where I usually keep mine while driving, but my former room mate always kept his under the seat.

If you get stopped, as long as you don't pick the thing up and start waving it around, the cops aren't going to say much either way.

The bonus for having it put away I guess is that they just don't see it, so they don't ask about it unless you give them some reason to search your car. Then of course they can cite you for it, but I've never known any that do, unless you've ticked 'em off for something else.

No KS does not require it to be visible. Loaded or Unloaded makes no difference. However do not put weapon in a backpack or under your coat in car. This is considered CC. However if your going hunting or hunting or coming from a hunt no problem with CC. They are exceptions to this law however-Wichita-Junction City, and Kansas City. These cities have there own firearm laws and they do suck. Yes we definitely need to get rid of our governor. We would have CC if that little Democrate robot wouldnt of vetoed the damn bill. Police here are no problem with harassing gun owners. They are after the real criminals.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Nebr. is one of 5 - 6 states that has NO provision for concealed carry. But you can open carry.

In a vehicle if the pistol is within reach of any occupant, and not visible it considered concealed. This would include under the seat or in the glovebox. Lay it in the open beside you or lock it in the trunk.

Rifles and shotguns are considered loaded if the magazine (even removable) contains ammo and is inserted into the firearm. I do believe pistols and revolvers can be carried loaded, including the chamber though. But check this out first, I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#29]
UT recognizes all other state CCW permits.

Any weapon is fine.  In a vehicle, you can not keep a round in the chamber unless you are legally carrying concealed.  Keeping a mag in the weapon is fine.

If you are taking a revolver, the rules are a little different.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Should be okay in IL, but check packing.org as suggested to be sure.

Stay away from Chicago.  All weapons unloaded, in cases in the trunk, you should be ok.
No carry, either open or CCW, in IL.

BTW, I see "KS" on your list, if you value your freedom then avoid that state.  Its not like there is anything you'll miss by driving around it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Open carry is also illegal in NY.
You have to have a permit for it in which you must be LE or similar profession.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

In NY, so long as the handgun is in the trunk and the ammo/mags are locked in a seperate container...and so long as you're just passing through and not stopping for anothing other than gas...the handgun is fine in your trunk.

If you go to visit a friend in NY, or whatever...technically, it'll be construed as an unlicensed handgun and you may be arrested, should you give a cop a reason to request to search your vehicle (you can always tell him "no", but we all know how that'll just rile cops in NY...)

The rifle, if it's a pre-ban, will also be good go to. If it's a no-ban/post-post-ban with evil features, it will not be good to go.  Realistically no one really cares about the ban, but it is technically illegal.  Again, locked in the trunk, with the ammo/mags in a seperate locked container.

As far as usage in the state goes...again, illegal to use either in the state. Without a NYS Pistol Permit, you can't even legally handle a handgun, let alone shoot it, let alone possess it.  

Once again, this is all technically. Realistically, depending on where you are, people just might not care (if you're far and away from metro areas, no one will really care, in general)...

But, like I said...if you're just driving through, you should be fine with both, locked in the trunk.

NJ, same thing. So long as you're passing through, no worries. NJ requires a firearm owner's ID card with long arms and handguns. If you don't have one (and you don't), you're hosed if you're stopped and searched if you're not just passing through. The rifle is definitily banned there as well.  Realistically it's not a big problem if it's locked in the trunk and whatnot, but just as in NY; stopping and visiting folks is out, and forget going and shooting them. You could probably get away with shooting the handgun, but definitily not the AR.

In spite of the protections of USC 926a it is illegal under NYS law to possess a handgun without a NYS Pistol License (some exceptions apply) or noban/postban SAW or noban/postban +10 mags.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you car gets tossed by a NYSP Trooper and many other LE agencies in NYS you will be arrested and your firearms confiscated.  

VT has no firearms laws to speak of. Just transport your long guns in accordance with USC 926a.  You don't need a permit to carry concealed in VT.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Rifles and shotguns may not have a round in the chamber while in the car, in the mag is ok. Pistols can be loaded and conceled in the car. Not sure on the CCW, I don't even have mine yet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#35]
bump ^
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Guns brought into KS are subject to a 6-month quarantine period before they are parmitted to leave. You can leave them with me. I'll take care of them. No charge.

Bring ammo.

And lots of loaded magazines.

And targets.

And bread. I'm almost out of bread.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#37]

DzlBenz
Team Member
(Is this thing on?)

Post Number :: 5945

KS, USA

Guns brought into KS are subject to a 6-month quarantine period before they are parmitted to leave. You can leave them with me. I'll take care of them. No charge.

Bring ammo.

And lots of loaded magazines.

And targets.

And bread. I'm almost out of bread.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#38]
M4-CQBR

Sic vis pacem para bellum.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#39]
When in AZ, if you have your gun concealed in the car, make sure the holster has a thumb break. You can open carry (except in restaraunts that serv booze) anywhere that isn't posted.

Have a good trip, and drive safe!

GT
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Do any of you not remember that the state laws are superceded by the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, aka McClure-Volkmer?

This is supposed to protect you from state action IF the firearm is unloaded, locked in the trunk (or otherwise not accessable from the passenger compartment, or in a vehicle without a trunk, in a case or container, and if possession of the firearm is legal at the destination.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:19:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Do any of you not remember that the state laws are superceded by the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, aka McClure-Volkmer?

This is supposed to protect you from state action IF the firearm is unloaded, locked in the trunk (or otherwise not accessable from the passenger compartment, or in a vehicle without a trunk, in a case or container, and if possession of the firearm is legal at the destination.

No we havent BUT PEOPLE HAVE STILL BEEN ARRESTED EVEN WITH it.
]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#43]
just to add one more thing on NY , if you plan to go through NYC any AR15 series rifle is completely illegal regardless of what features it has/hasnt. Any mags with a capacity over 10 rds are illegal also.

Good luck and have fun
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#45]
There's a website that would answer your questions about
CCWs.

I think it's called packing.org ?
Perhaps someone that knows what I'm talking about can post a link.

Here in Pennsylvania ,you can transport anything that isn't class 3
as long as it's in the trunk or is seperate from ammo.

Our CCW recipricates with several states ,but oddly ,none of our
neighboring states.
That info would be on packing.org.

Unlike other states ,PA's constitution specifically states that
individuals have the right to own and bear arms in the defense of
others and our property.
It's one of the oldest state constitutions in the US.

(Funny ,weren't the Bill of Rights and the decleration of Independance
both written and signed here ? Our stste constitution alone should
make the founders intent clear !)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
just to add one more thing on NY , if you plan to go through NYC any AR15 series rifle is completely illegal regardless of what features it has/hasnt. Any mags with a capacity over 10 rds are illegal also.

Good luck and have fun

You can legally transport your ugly ass black rifles through NYC. In fact you can remain in NYC for a period of time not to exceed 24 hours if your UABR's are unloaded and locked in the trunk of your vehicle. As a NYC resident it is illegal to possess a rifle mag in NYC with a capacity of more then 5 rounds.

I have never heard of an arrest for simply transporting a rifle or magazine through NYC in compliance with NYS law.  If as a result of a traffic stop your MV is impounded for traffic violations or you have an open warrant for your arrest your firearms will be seized.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#48]
If you happen to end up in a suite at Rikers Island as a guest of the City of New York  don't worry and just IM Aimless for help.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

We recommend loaded...especially the M4
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#50]
As I see it , you have four choices .

1. Leave your guns at home .

2. do the research on transportation of firearms
in each state you plan on traveling through .
Then try and comply to the myriad of laws you
will encounter .

3. Become a LEO before your trip and use the right
granted by HR-218 .

4. Play the odds and take your chances .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top