Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2001 1:43:52 PM EDT
I have tried (almost) all of my utility mags and they work well.

Today, I went to the range with C-rock, and shot my FNC and Yugo AK.  I didn't take all my mags out of the bag I brought.  I believe I only used 2 30 rd. mags for each gun and 1 additional 20 rd. for the Yugo.  

Assuming that you have tried all your mags, and you know they work, how many mags do you usually bring to the range?  I had about 8 AR and 5 AK mags that didn't even come out of my range bag--kind of a waste of my time and energy to even bring them.

I am thinking about 3 or 4 mags per gun (or maybe 5 or 6 total if you have several guns using the same mags).  My reasoning--by the time you load 100 to 150 rounds of ammo, you are itching to start shooting anyway, and will probably stop loading to start shooting.  

What's your opinion?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
i usaly bring 2 now if it was some big shoot like the ar15.com informel shoot id bring more so i can keep throwing lead down range.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally I take two magazines for my AR and one for my AK.  I only shoot five or teen shot groups so I dont mind reloading after each group.  When I go out for field exercises I will load up the thirteen mags than fill out my field gear and more or less finish them off through out the course of the day (assuming that it is a live firing exercsise).  To be honest I see no reason to put wear on several mags when one will work just fine.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually only take 2 or 3 AR mags to the range.  Same with my other guns.  

If it is a 'shoot' then I usually load up around 10 mags for each gun.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
depends.  Doing tactical, quick mag-change drills? bring lots of mags.  Sighting-in or load development?  1 mag w/single round follower.  I reload mags walking to and from target (pasting holes).
View Quote

I usually bring 6 or more. I load 5 rounds per
mag and practice mag-changes as I practice marksmanship.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
depends.  Doing tactical, quick mag-change drills? bring lots of mags.  Sighting-in or load development?  1 mag w/single round follower.  I reload mags walking to and from target (pasting holes).
View Quote

I usually bring 6 or more. I load 5 rounds per
mag and practice mag-changes as I practice marksmanship.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh man, I must have seperation anxiety or something!!!  When I go shooting I take a bunch of stuff!!!  For the AR's I usually take a dozen mags (loaded) and [u]at least[/u] 400+ rds. of extra ammo.  I'd hate to have to leave early because I ran dry!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I know what you are saying Kevin.  I usually take 1 rubbermaid container full of about 20 mags.  I like to go to the range and shoot not load mags.  I load mags at home when I am bored and having a cold beverage.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#9]
God I have to move!

Around here?

Loaded Mag=Prison Wife

[sex]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#11]
To lower ammo consumption, I usually only bring 2 mags.

Now if it is an all weekend shoot, I will bring all thirty.

That was my AR, on my .45 I always bring 7 mags, those eight rounders empty too fast.

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I like 20rnd USGI magazines.  I usually load up all my magazines at home.  I like to put 10rnds in each magazine, sometimes I put 15-18, but usually just 10.  I have a range bag that has fitted compartments for 30 magazines.  I do not do alot of shooting or "firing for effect", so 15 or 20 magazines keeps me going for quite a while.

OSA
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I bring my supposed-to-take-10-round Bushmaster magazine. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
AFARR,
That was a good time today.  I got bruises on my shoulder from your benelli shotgun.  I guess shooting slugs really fast is not a good thing to do. [shotgun]

I have to agree with ya on the  mag thing.   I brought 2 20's for the ak, 2 30's for her, and a 75 rd drum.  3 10's for the 10/22, and a 25 rd'er.  2 for the makie, and 2 for the .22 romainian.  
On the Ak, I only used the 20's and the drum for a little bit.   Never did touch the 30's.   I did use all of the mags for the 10/22, but those arer easy to load up.

It was a good time
c-rock
[url]www.illinois-shooter.org

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I use to bring 5+ for each gun. But I found that if I only brought 1-2 per, I slow my shooting. Enjoy the range. Not spend too much money on ammo. Get to talk to other people. Overall all better time for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top