Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2001 8:03:14 AM EDT
This past weekend, another member and I went hiking in the humid hills of rural Tennessee. This was the second time in a week that I carried my HK P7M8, fielded in a drop-leg rig. The first time (on the fourth, for the TBRG Shoot), I put several rounds through it, and just the sweat from my hands had started surface rust formations on the slide, backstrap, and mags. Took it home, scrubbed it down with CLP...

The second time (said outing), when I got the thing home there was enough rust forming on some of the mags to keep them from inserting smoothly, and a good bit of surface rust forming underneath the grip panels (really glad I took those off to clean it!). And the same faint spotting on many other metal surfaces.

I disassembled as much as possible, and spent several hours scrubbing the thing with CLP and cleaning toothbrush. The thing has a nice coat of CLP sitting on it even now (just in case...).

What can I do to prevent this kind of maintenance nightmare? I love the pistol, but it's hard to think of subjecting it or myself to this kind of treatment everytime I want to take it for a walk. I realize there are other types of finishes, etc, but you 1911 and BHP types might have some sympathetic help. Suggestions welcomed, or it's back to the USP.

Thanks in advance,
havoc
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Look for a product called EEZOX, I have use this stuff on my hunting guns and have put them away wet with rain water and not even leave a spot.
Ron
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top