Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2005 6:40:43 PM EDT
I got a Kenmore, they are a PIA because mine is on the fritz, problem is if I call Sears in, it's an easy 250 and up.  If I buy a new one it's approx 500 and change.

Mine is 5 years old.  Motor and pump are ok, but stupid basket is giving me issues again.  Dr. Fridge got me up and running before but it's more issues now.

What say you?
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Whirlpool - Lowes has good prices on them.  We did our research and are VERY happy with our Whirlpool.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Whirlpool - Lowes has good prices on them.  We did our research and are VERY happy with our Whirlpool.

Sounds good to me.  I'll look at Lowes, do they deliver and do they take the old one out?
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Whirlpools or Maytags, can't go wrong.  Pay for quality, quality rocks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds good to me.  I'll look at Lowes, do they deliver and do they take the old one out?

They generally do - at least, if you tell them you will just go to Home Depot and buy your washing machine because they will deliver for free - that always makes them jump
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Maytags are awesome.  If you can afford it get the front loaders.  They wash much better and use less water then the top loaders.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Maytag. My uncle used to be a Maytag repair man...used to be. We got a scratched-n-dented washer for a good price. It is in the basement, who is gonna see it? Oh, the scratch was like an inch long, didn't get all the way through the enamel.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
 I bought a Fisher & Paykel washer and dryer a four months ago,my wife loves 'em couldn't be happier.    I was turned off ( I wanted Maytag) initially because they don't look like a conventional washer and dryer.  I changed my mind after I saw how fast they would wash and dry a  load  of  clothes.

The washers tub is direct drive to the motor.  No belts ,to break. it spins clothes as fast as a front loader.  Your clothes will come out damn near dry, very little work for the dryer to do.

The controls are all push button, no dials.  A small, light washer that will take a super size load.

Lowes carries them.  Don't let the looks and name fool you
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Maytag frontloader with platform so the door is at eye level. My bro-in law has them.
Nice machines, very nice. He has the $$$ to afford them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one of the Kenmore HE ones a few months ago and it is great!

My water bill has dropped to the minimum charge ever since we installed it.

It is one of the ones built in Germany IIRC?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to bite the bullet (no pund intended) and pony up $$$ because I don't want to be buying these damn machines every 5 years.  Damn things are designed to break every 5 years or so.  F'in Sears just called too, to get me to buy an extended service contract.  Like they knew it was going to go.

Ok, I have Maytag and Whirlpool, and a Fisher & Paykel as a runner up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

BigDozer66

I think i'm going to stay away from Kenmore, just dropped 2 bills to get the stove fixed and it was a Kenmore.

eta Poll added.  I want also where you got it, approx how much (don't have too but it will help) and model.

The Hive Mind Rocks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm going to bite the bullet (no pund intended) and pony up $$$ because I don't want to be buying these damn machines every 5 years.  Damn things are designed to break every 5 years or so.  F'in Sears just called too, to get me to buy an extended service contract.  Like they knew it was going to go.

Ok, I have Maytag and Whirlpool, and a Fisher & Paykel as a runner up.

Did someone call me?

Good luck...is there a Sears surplus or somesuch in your area? Scratch-N-Dent baby!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#13]
We still have our Maytag that is from 1960s and works perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Whirlpool, they sell more laundry equipment than anyone, they are the best and top rated on reliability for both washers and dryers.  Maytag washers are OK but overpriced, but their dryers aren't reliable.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#16]
We have had a Kenmore HE set for a little over 2 years......they a fucking cool......thay are also built by Whirlpool....not all Kemore stuff is, but these happened to be. The only prob we had was a panel display that went out under warranty ( was a known problem with an upgrade fix ) that was like 3 months after we got them. Not a single problem since. I have never let laundry excite me, but these come close to making you WANT to do the wash.

( BTW......they were a wedding present......my poor broke ass woulnd'ta been able to drop 2K on a friggin' washer/dryer set...)
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have a Kenmore washer and dryer that are at least 35 years old and still run fine considering the age.

Got them for free when the neighbors upgraded.  Replaced a seal in the washer myself to get started.  Replaced a wheel in the dryer a few years later.  Spin belt looks like it may go soon.

Now, moving into a new house and the MIL wants to buy us new ones because she says these are ugly...  How much is a Maytag front loader anyway?

Most front loaders that are worth getting are 1K and up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
We have had a Kenmore HE set for a little over 2 years......they a fucking cool......thay are also built by Whirlpool....not all Kemore stuff is, but these happened to be. The only prob we had was a panel display that went out under warranty ( was a known problem with an upgrade fix ) that was like 3 months after we got them. Not a single problem since. I have never let laundry excite me, but these come close to making you WANT to do the wash.

( BTW......they were a wedding present......my poor broke ass woulnd'ta been able to drop 2K on a friggin' washer/dryer set...)

I hear you brother, what man would drop 2K on a friggin washer/dryer.  There are plenty of toys we can buy for that kind of money.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I had to complete a report on Whirlpool Corp and it's competitors in college.  I learned a lot doing that.  Plus my dad worked in a repair shop for 3 years, and he learned even more.  Plus I was in charge of cleaning firefighter's turnout gear at our Fire Dept for a while, and I learned a little extra there.

First off... Kenmore doesn't make anything.  Everything with their name is made by someone else.  Kind of like the Food Lion brand items; someone else makes it, and then they slap on a Food Lion brand sticker.

Next, in washing machines, Maytag is king.  Maytag's other products are so-so, but their washers are top dogg.

Whirlpool is mid-grade, but they make all kinds in that line.  Whirlpool Corp actually owns 3 lines of products.  Roper, Whirlpool, and KitchenAid.  Roper is basically disposable stuff, what you see in rental property, very cheap.  Whirlpool is mid-grade, and KitchenAid is just below commercial grade.

Personally, I would spring for a Maytag or KitchenAid FRONT LOADING WASHER.  But aren't front loaders more expensive?  YES, but they use less water, less soap, less energy, and are easier on your clothes than a top loader.  So it's like paying more money for a car that gets better gas mileage and requires less maintenance.  Think about it, it is easier to tumble the clothes, or have them twisted over and over by that dreaded agitator in the middle?

For example, Firefighters turnout gear is only supposed to be washed in a front loading machine because the twisting force of the agitator in a top loader damages the fibers and the manufacturer will not honor the warranty if you wash in a top loader.

My 2¢.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Which ever one the wife wants.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#21]
comercial grade maytag
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Seriously I am waiting for the Dyson washer and dryer to come out.  His vacumes rock and I am a forced to vacume husband (Wife refuses to do it!)
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Whilpool - Duet Washer & Dryer.

Expensive initially, but worth every single hard earned penny in less than two years.

One third the water and power, gentle on clothes, almost no noise, no need to balance loads, less detergent/softener/bleach, and very high capacity.

Link Posted: 6/30/2005 3:53:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys, Front Loader it is.  But is it Maytag or Whirlpool?
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 4:03:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Miele - it will be the last washre you ever buy (and get your clothes cleaner than any other brand)
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 5:07:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Maytag is bankrupt due to quality issues in their neptunes. China is looking to buy Whirlpool. I S**T you not.

M4-AK
Maytag dropped the ball and took customers for granted.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Maytag is bankrupt due to quality issues in their neptunes. China is looking to buy Whirlpool. I S**T you not.

M4-AK

Bought a Whirlpool Duet Front Loader....since the Front loaders use about 15 gallons of water and Top Loaders about 40. I'll pay for it over time.  I dont  know about saving on detergent since you have to use HE and you use about the same.  Also I cant even tell when I'm washing clothes and the clothes come out Damp so less drying time since it has a very fast spin cycle.  I have a friend who is in sales at Best Buy and he told me to stay away from Maytag. He also said that LG is a good front loader. Well Good Luck!

Ant
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#29]
my mom's maytag is 40 years old and is still going, at least 2 loads 3 times a week.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I got the Whirlpool Duet set not too long ago

Very happy with it.

I also just bought a Whirlpool dishwasher (hasn't arrived yet)

Got 'em at Lowes. Free delivery/haul away.

Link Posted: 6/30/2005 5:58:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4-AK

Source?  was just looking at Neptunes and certainly don't want one if there is a quality issue.

I heard some bad things about those neptunes as well. I think there was even a class actions suit against Maytag over it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#32]
one more vote for a front load washer!
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Maytag uprights rule.  Don't get a front-loader.

Whirlpools are good too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Maytags aren't what they used to be. Since Maytag has moved most of their production facilities to Mexico, quality has slipped dramatically. Look at what has happened to Maytag stock in the last two years. I know some folks that have had serious issues with their Neptune series washer/dryer. I have an old Maytag washer that I would bet my life on. However, my newer Maytag dryer quit after 2 years. I bought a GE to replace it.

If you're interested, I'm selling the old Maytag dryer cheap...needs a little work, though:

Link Posted: 6/30/2005 6:26:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Another big +1 for the HE3t (now HE4t?) from Sears. Stainless tub, front loading, much easier on clothes than t/l's. You can wash sleeping bags without beating the daylights out of em.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#36]
 Another Whirlpool fan here.....I sure hope the Chinese don't buy 'em.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
 Another Whirlpool fan here.....I sure hope the Chinese don't buy 'em.

I too sure don't hope to see whirlpool with a MADE IN CHINA sticker.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok, returned from sears, missing some blood as they only accept blood when it comes to a purchase of this size.

Ouch

Whirlpool wins.  I loose, the Sterling18 household wins, but I still loose.  I guess no new toy for quite a while.  Thank god I have the SHTF supply of ammo or else i would have been screwed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Ok, returned from sears, missing some blood as they only accept blood when it comes to a purchase of this size.

Ouch

Whirlpool wins.  I loose, the Sterling18 household wins, but I still loose.  I guess no new toy for quite a while.  Thank god I have the SHTF supply of ammo or else i would have been screwed.

You are LOOSE?  
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Whilpool - Duet Washer & Dryer.

Expensive initially, but worth every single hard earned penny in less than two years.

One third the water and power, gentle on clothes, almost no noise, no need to balance loads, less detergent/softener/bleach, and very high capacity.

Agree with all of that.
We have a septic and it is getting old so I wanted something that used less water. Substantial difference. Wife is happy with them
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask them if they have one in the back with a dent in it.

I got a refrigerator from Lowes for 1/2 price cause it looked like someone with a ball peen hammer had whacked it on the door down at the bottom.

One Pizza Hut magnet later It looked like a brand new one!

ETA Oh and sterling18? I hope you can tighten up!

After the fleecing I took, I can't help to be loose.  Hell you can drive a mac truck through it after what they charged for a washer.  But hell, I get it Saturday, now that's service.  btw, my wife's friend has a different model and it's quite as hell.  1250 RPM on the high spin cycle.  Shit, that's what 75 MPH?

Also, big THANK YOU for everyone's input on this matter.  Another reason why I haven't been shooting with the AR15 crew.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Whirlpool. Ours is 10 years old and going strong. Maytag is about to sell out to the Chinese so F'em.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Goto a auction and pick one up for 50 bucks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:47:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#46]
FWIW, most Sears washers and dryers are Whirlpool contract stuff. Look for the FSP logo on some of the parts. If you see FSP, think Whirlpool.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#47]
I own bought stock in Whirlpool about 2 months ago.

I think you should buy a Whirlpool...or two.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Which ever one the wife wants.

SGatr15

Yep, research all you want, analyze it every which way... but in the end, it will always come down to the wife's choice. We're not talking guns here, guys.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#49]
I get used one's for free, spend 20 bucks MAYBE and run em til they die, [motor] Free one's are the best. More AMMO for me. Anyways the one's from the 70s were the best/longest lasting one's out there. New one's nowhere as good.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I work for Lowe's.  Yes they remove and haul away old ones and set up new ones.  Depending on where you live $45-$65 charge.  

Might I recomend the Duets?

I know they have sticker shock, but they are well worth it!

Plus you can open a Lowe's account and get 12 months no intrest, 12 no payments.  If the salesman tells you they arent running a credit promo like that, ask for the Manager on Duty.  They can, and will do whatever to make the sale(Assuming they arent going to lose money, of course!)

Also get extended waranty.  Deffinitely worth it.  Your salesman can explain all the benifits.

Happy shopping!

Travis
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top