Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2001 3:21:59 AM EDT
I was at a gunshow and saw some folks selling Tac-Trigger devices and Hellfire devices.  People I've know who tried these devices and others like them all say they are BIG peices of sh*t.  I was wondering if ya'll think it would be possible to make a snap on trigger device out of and electrical relay.  Maybe the battery could fit in the pistol grip and it could be activated by a button like those used on some lasers.  Maybe it could have a pot. on it to adjust the rate of fire.  If this is stupid then I won't mind the flaming.  Are there any engineers on this site?  I would like to hear any input.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
For starters, John, the devise you describe would be illegal.
Secondly, solenoid devises typically require more energy than could be supplied (reliably) by a source small enough to fit into the pistol grip.
It, in all liklihood, would probably fail at the most inopportune time. Murphy is still alive & doing quite well, don't ya' know.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#2]
How would it be illegal Bermshot?  You would still have one shot for every trigger pull.  As far as reliability goes, this would be intended for recreational shooting, not combat.  I don't think anyone would take a Tac Trigger or Hellfire into a life threatning sitution.  But, your probably right about the size of battery needed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:39:12 AM EDT
[#3]
nothing illegal about it...
you may be better off using a small motor to drive a BMF Activator type of trigger device...
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:40:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Space? plenty of it in the butstock!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Scarecrow:
didn't you just post under the minigun thread that an electric version of a minigun would be illegal?  Can you explain?  Would it apply in this case too even if the trigger were actually being depressed for each shot?
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#6]
My opinion ONLY.  -- Such a devise replaces the normal function of the trigger & relegates it to being a "part" of the firing mechanism. The switch, or button, of the devise become the trigger.
This is similar to the differences between the electricly powered mini-gun & crank actuated Gattling gun.
I could be wrong. However, I think it highly advisable to check around with someone who knows the real legal skinny.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#7]
An electrically controlled trigger would have been fine. You went illegal when you said a pot could adjust the rate of fire. Your button becomes the trigger and if the gun fires more than one time with a single operation of the trigger then it's a machine guns.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Hineline is corect - the electronic device becomes the "trigger".  When you push the button, flip the switch, or activate it in whatever manner, it can only fire the gun once per that activation.  That is, if the device is activated by pressing a button, you can only get one shot by pushing that button.  To get an additional shot you'd have to let up on the button and push it again - the button or activator to the powered device is the "trigger" in the view of BATF. If you pres that button or flip that switch and get more than one shot, you have a machinegun.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Hellfire about 4 or 5 years ago.  I still have it, but never could get it to work.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:09:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a Hellfire about 12 years ago. I still have it.  I got mine to work but later found out [B]THAT MOST GUNS WORK WITHOUT IT!!![/b]

Its called the Bump Method, learn it and save yourself some $$$ [url]http://members.aol.com/bishop042/bump.html[/url]
AR-15s are hard to bump because if the light recoil...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually they already make these same exact electronic triggers for paintball guns.  You can dial in rate of fire, semi, burst, anything you could dream of on a full auto gun.

They run off a small solenoid and a nivevolt battery in the grip.  The grip is a little wide but funtional.  They have a LCD display in the grip to tell you what the settings are.  

Modifications to it to put it on a real gun would be extensive and fully illegal but it can be done.

Edited to add the link... I don't know how to make it "active" tho, sorry ya gotta use cut and paste.

http://www.centerflagproducts.com/products/hyperframes/triggers.shtml
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Bishop, long time no see.  This is nikov, but I've had to use kalash since the board revision.  From what I've seen the bump method can only be used from the hip, where the gun can recoil.  I was wondering if the use of an extra soft butt recoil pad would allow use of the bump method from the shoulder.  What do ya think?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top