Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2005 1:26:39 PM EDT
Any of you have any experience. I hear that its better than duracoat.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Know one has heard of this stuff? Its made by NIC industries , and according to the maker it can be ran dry. This would be spiffy for the insides of ar's in desert areas. I made the plunge and got some of it to do a test to compare it to the old standby DuraCoat. We will see!
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Tactical Innovations uses it on their TAC 16 can and I think Lauer repackages it and sells it. A coating is only as good as it's binder.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Tactical Innovations uses it on their TAC 16 can and I think Lauer repackages it and sells it. A coating is only as good as it's binder.

According to the manufacture Lauer is not using it. Wilson combat, and a couple of others are using it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:13:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to the manufacture Lauer is not using it. Wilson combat, and a couple of others are using it.

You are refering to the DuraHeat product by Lauer correct? I spoke to Craig Wheatly at TI and he and Lauer are using the same product by the same mfr. I think/thought Ceracoat was the supplier but I'd have to call Craig to confirm. Both Lauer & TI are using an air dry room temp product. Do you have a website for Ceracoat?
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Look at post #2. In red.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Look at post #2. In red.

Uh duh Not the same company. If I recall, the mfr. of DuraHeat is based in Kali. Can't find a web link for them, had it a long time ago.

Link Posted: 6/22/2005 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Gun Coatings

NIC IndustriesTM, Inc. developed CerakoteTM Premium Gun Coatings after in-depth research into firearms and their respective coatings.  Our unique Cerakote Gun Coating formulas provide excellent corrosion protection, outstanding abrasion resistance, extreme hardness, and unmatched durability.  Each of these coatings has a unique, ultra slick feel, while providing sleek satin or matte finishes.

Cerakote Premium Gun Coat surpassed Teflon™ coatings for wear resistance by well over 60%, according to testing by an independent laboratory.  In addition, we specifically designed Cerakote for ease of application in most humid conditions, as well as hot, dry environments.

Available in air cure and oven cure systems, these coatings give applicators total flexibility in production.  We incorporate self-lubricating elements throughout the coating matrix, which allow firearms to function with little or no fluid lubricants that typically attract abrasive dust particles.  Cerakote Premium Gun Coatings perform extremely well even in automatics with high cyclic rates.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I refinished my Delta Elite today in the Graphite Black  H-146.

It was nice cleaning up with acetone for a change. It shot very well, nice and consistent out of my External mix bottom feed airbrush. I let it set the recommended 20 mins then baked it at 250 for 2 hrs.

First observations/test with a scribe have been very favorable, no to very light scratching. Color matches a factory HK USP slide, In both texture and color. I still need to coat the springs and pins with the Micro Slick C-110. Its just a shoot on and wait, I will be doing that tomorrow. Ill get picts when I get it back together and get the night sights on. IT looks very Blactactal!

ETA: After seeing how smooth the parts feel together, and how oil beads up on the coating. WOW just WOW.. Any one want my left over supply of duracoat?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.nicindustries.com/images/imagemanager/granite-black-copy.jpg

It was nice cleaning up with acetone for a change. It shot very well, nice and consistent out of my External mix bottom feed airbrush. I let it set the recommended 20 mins then baked it at 250 for 2 hrs.

First observations/test with a scribe have been very favorable, no to very light scratching. Color matches a factory HK USP slide, In both texture and color. I still need to coat the springs and pins with the Micro Slick C-110. Its just a shoot on and wait, I will be doing that tomorrow. Ill get picts when I get it back together and get the night sights on. IT looks very Blactactal!

ETA: After seeing how smooth the parts feel together, and how oil beads up on the coating. WOW just WOW.. Any one want my left over supply of duracoat?

Sounds good! Were you able to order it direct and in what quantities? I'd like to get some to test.

Hmm, acetone barely phases molycoat. I ran short on MEK one day and tried lacquer thinner, didn't even phase it.

If you're serious on the Duracoat.......

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow!  That looks great!  Want to do a couple of guns for me?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.nicindustries.com/images/imagemanager/granite-black-copy.jpg

Sounds good! Were you able to order it direct and in what quantities? I'd like to get some to test.

Hmm, acetone barely phases molycoat. I ran short on MEK one day and tried lacquer thinner, didn't even phase it.

If you're serious on the Duracoat.......

I think there smallist qty's is 4oz. I live close to where its made, and have done some gun work for the owners. And i finally got down there and talked to them about it.
Get a hold of Tim Maddox, And see what he can do. If you cant get it for them, Let me know and Ill get set up as a reseller. Ill see if I can get a copy of the abrasion test, its pretty amazing.

Modog, If your serious IM me for more info.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#12]
try gunkote

it has molly and teflon in the mix.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#13]
www.shootiniron.com/FINISH%20SPECS.html

www.kgcoatings.com/gunkote.html

GUNKOTE DID NOT JUST MEET THE MINIMUMS. GUNKOTE EXCELLED.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a sample of what it looks like.. WOW!

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 3:31:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks good. Wondering how it holds up to abrasion, for example when used on a magazine & after multiple insertions. I still need to call & order some for testing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 3:35:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Know one has heard of this stuff? Its made by NIC industries , and according to the maker it can be ran dry. This would be spiffy for the insides of ar's in desert areas. I made the plunge and got some of it to do a test to compare it to the old standby DuraCoat. We will see!

Let us know how it works as to durability , Imbro !
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 4:31:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks good, lets see how it lasts.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#18]
This is my second set of guns done in this stuff. You can take a knife blade and run it down the side of the part and all it does is take off the dull. Rub with a little oil and she looks as good as new. 320 grit paper has some trouble taking this stuff off. Its really touchy in its mixing though. To make a semi gloss its mixed 19:1 for matte finish its mixed 24:1. They do have a range of colors, but im trying to get them to stock some other colors besides military.

I have also tried the molly coating that they have on the internals (springs,sear,hammer,Etc). Its a dull gray in color. and when assembled, is just as slick as if oil or grease was used to lube.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Those are my guns, and I'm fuckin psyched to get them back.

And he isn't Imbroglio, moron.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Those are my guns, and I'm fuckin psyched to get them back.

And he isn't Imbroglio, moron.

Oh, sorry, then YOU are Imbro, asshat .
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Any more updates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top