Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2001 2:59:24 PM EDT
Is there such a beast?  I would really like a .357 autoloading rifle of some kind.  Does anyone make a rifle like this?  I checked Ruger, Winchester and Remington and I couldn't find such a firearm in their catalogs.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks RAF, but I wanted a rifle that would shoot the same rounds as my Taurus .357 revolver.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Ruger does have a .44 Magnum autoloading rifle, if that is of any interest to you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is there such a beast?  I would really like a .357 autoloading rifle of some kind.  Does anyone make a rifle like this?  I checked Ruger, Winchester and Remington and I couldn't find such a firearm in their catalogs.
View Quote

well ,you might talk to madman tony who sits at the helm of tromix lead delivery systems. they make some really nuts AR15s.  the fact that he hasnt made one in 357 makes me wonder id its possible, but with tromix, possibe seems to be a genral term at best. they make a 44 mag upper, so i dont see why not a 357. i dont know much about 357, but if it is shorter than 44 mag id say he could make you a 357 ar15, that sounds pretty freaky. just post a message addressed to tony rumore. also check out

[URL]www.tromix.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The IMI Timberwolf was chambered in .357, 10 rounds I think. Pump action carbine, very light and handy. Not my cup of tea, but for .357 mag cartridge compatibility, I think it's your sole option. I don't know anything else about it except that it exists, and I got to handle one at the gun show a while back.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
357 Magnums are very similar in length to 44 Magnums until you get into the heavyweight bullets.  For Tromix to chamber an upper for it, he would probably just use a .357 Desert Eagle mag and scale everything else down to the smaller caliber.  Two problems come to mind though.  Tony's deal is more bang for the buck and .357 would buck that trend.  And from reading his other posts, he's pretty backed up satisfying the bigger/better/more crowd.  Still, a nine shot .357 autoloader would be pretty cool and cheap to feed.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I am limited to either a pump action or a lever action in .357.  That is kind of a bummer - would've liked an autoloading .357 carbine.
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
i think tehre is some company making 357 mag uppers
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
raf, I have one of those Ruger (Old Model) Blackhawks that is chambered in .30 Carbine.  I bought it to share ammo with my M1.  I really didn't shoot it much because the price of ammo was getting a little high (costed more than name brand .357 mag ammo) and I didn't reload.  I still kept the revolver as it was a nice example of an Old Model.  

I beleive that AMT makes an auto-loader pistol that also is in .30 Carbine.  

I was looking for a rifle in .357 also a while back.  I could only find levers.  I think Taurus makes a pump, but I will never buy an other Taurus (poor quality, even poorer customer service).  

OSA
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I could certainly build an AR-15 upper in .357 magnum without much of a problem, and yes, I would simply sleeve a Desert Eagle magazine into a 20rd GI mag as I do the 44's.  I have a bit of a backlog right now but not too bad.  The biggest problem in the summer time is that it is so damn hot, and there is no AC in the shop, so I can only work in the early morning hours.  This severely cuts back production during this time of the year.  I need to either get AC in this place, or move the shop (killer job) to another air conditioned location.

I have only had 2 requests for a .357 in the past three years so there really isn't much demand.  It is probably attributible to the steep price tag as well.  There were only four (4) uppers ever sold in 44 Magnum and one of those includes the one I gave my dad for Christmas.  With this type of demand, its headed for the "discontinued" list very shortly.

Link Posted: 7/9/2001 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#12]
There was a high-capacity carbine manufactured in the late 1980s with a side-feed stick mag and a vented barrel shroud.  I guess it was sort of like a high quality Sten with Williams sights.  I know it was chambered for a couple of different pistol rounds, definitely 10mm, possibly .357 Mag.  

I cannot remember the name.  Might have been Bear arms or something.  If you checked out a Gun Digest from 1990, I bet you could find it.  

Might not be very easy to get the actual item.  
It got some favorable reviews in one of the rags that also featured "survival driving tactics."  
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]
The marlin lever gun in 357 is a real nice companion to a revolver. granted, it`s not a semi, but it is very versatile in that you can feed it anything....and with high velocity 357`s, it would easily drop a deer with good shot placement at medium range.........with 38`s, even reloads, you can do a lot of affordable shooting....it`s very well made...
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I could certainly build an AR-15 upper in .357 magnum without much of a problem, and yes, I would simply sleeve a Desert Eagle magazine into a 20rd GI mag as I do the 44's.  
View Quote

Just curious, why "waste" a good GI 20?  Why not use an aftermarket steel one?

I have only had 2 requests for a .357 in the past three years so there really isn't much demand.  It is probably attributible to the steep price tag as well.
View Quote

How steep?  I might be interested.

--MiKE
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#15]
The only aftermarket 20rnd AR mags I've found are made by USA Mags.  There's one slight problem though.  They're longer than a USGI and have a slight curve at the bottom.  For a Desert Eagle mag to fit, you'd have to cut off the lower third of the magazine (the part that's curved).

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Wadman/Im000098.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top