Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2005 3:38:55 PM EDT
I am thinking about trying to fine one of these.

I am more of a old 66-77 Bronco fan - but think the Scrambler would be more fun/useful

what do you have/ what is your take?

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell yeah +1 on the CJ8.

I am  on JEEP numero 5 one of which was a SCRAMBLER.  You get a mini-truck bed but you loose interior space. Present JEEP is O2 Wrangler Sport with factory Dana 44s and JEEP off road HD tire shock gear and wheel package.

Everything can be bought online much like an AR15 and shipped to your doorstep from many sources.

Look for rust

Get your fat checkbook ready cause nice ones command a premium.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to go! My brother had one and I loved it. We only got it stuck once and it has more cargo room than a regular jeep. Looks kick ass too!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Scrambler's are fucking awesome!!! You don't see enough of them. Their performance and capacity are excellent.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Kicking myself in the ass to this day for not buying the one I had a chance to get two years ago.

Ended up with a regular Wrangler Sierra.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Had one. Liked it a lot; but was well aware of
it's limitations.  Noisy, windy, damp, gas guzzler,
started rusting, couldn't tow anything of any size.

With the above in mind; I wish I had one again.
Don't know why Jeep doesn't come out with an updated/
improved version. The Scrambler is more versatile than
ground beef.  Do watch out for rust, though.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Had one. Liked it a lot; but was well aware of
it's limitations.  Noisy, windy, damp, gas guzzler,
started rusting, couldn't tow anything of any size.

With the above in mind; I wish I had one again.
Don't know why Jeep doesn't come out with an updated/
improved version. The Scrambler is more versatile than
ground beef.  Do watch out for rust, though.

Jeep makes the Wrangler Unlimited now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay, I just Googled the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
The Rubicon Unlimited model looks most like a Scrambler in
profile...What made the Scrambler unique and useful,
though, was its cargo capacity-(truck bed) and the
fact that it had a longer/wider wheel base than the
CJ-7s. My Scrambler was used on my farm and off
road. If the Wrangler Unlimited is, somehow, an undated
version I may look into buying one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a 1984 CJ8 Scrambler 1988-1992.  It had the half cab top like a pickup some had full cabs.  Was it better than a CJ7?  It held more junk but it would drag it's tail over obstacles.  How does it compare to a new Unlimited?  The Unlimited is larger, more powerful, has a stronger drivetrain, gets better mpg and is much more comfortable.  Take the rear seat out and have a welding shop or body shop fabricate a cab divider if you must.

If my CJ8 is still operational somewhere out there <which I doubt> it has rot up to the door handles and not a single electrical accessory functions <not even a bulb>.  I appreciate Jeeps history and tradition but a CJ is a money pit.  I currently drive a 1994 XJ and a Y2K TJ and I love them both.

Sorry to downtalk the almost mythical Scrambler but I call them like I see them.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
The Unlimited is not an updated Scrambler, but it does have the same wheel base.  If you're interested in a new Jeep pickup look into the Gladiator concept vehicle.  May actually make into production as interest was/is through the roof.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I was told the problem with scrambers is that a lot of their parts are foreign made and hard to obtain anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top