Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2005 1:57:41 PM EDT
What is some good instrumental music?

And by intramental I mean like Star Wars type music.  Some vocals are okay.

What are some good songs from the Star Wars soundtrack?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Anybody else?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Just buy the Star Wars soundtrack albums.  "Last of the Mohicans" was a good instrumental sound track

Soundtrack albums are becoming popular as easy listening music.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#4]
If you like Star Wars music, just go the John Williams section.  He wrote the scores to SW, Indiana Jones, Jaws, ET, .....  If you ever get the chance to see him direct at the Hollywood Bowl (especially for movie nights) it's great music and fun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything by John Williams

You might also try:

James Horner (Apollo 13, Braveheart, Titanic)
John Barry (Dances With Wolves)
Randy Edelman (Gettysburg)

Williams is the master. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, E.T., Superman, Midway, Close Encounters, Empire of the Sun, Artificial Intelligence, Jaws, Saving Private Ryan, The Patriot, The Terminal, et al)

Yes, I have every album (of every movie in the series) mentioned above.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Give a listen to Ian Anderson's (from Jethro Tull) Divinities. The guy is a genius with a flute.

ELO's Fire on High
Pink Floyd's Echoes off of the Meddle album
Black Sabbath had a few mellow instrumentals that i actually used in my wedding ceremony
Yep, I'm a freak
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
These soundtracks have the same type of "feel"

Hunt for the Red October,
the Lord of the Rings
Star Trek - Wrath of Kahn
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Rambo- First Blood part II

I love soundtracks, I got tons of them

One of the best tracks from the Star Wars Soundtracks is... "The Emperor Arrives" from Return of the Jedi.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got some techno trance and disco remakes....IM me if you want them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want Star Wars-ish, here's a list.

Anything by ...

Richard Strauss (not Johann, he's the Waltz guy) he wrote "Also Sprach Zarathustra" more commonly known as the music from "2001 a Space Odyssey"
Richard Wagner...Ride of the Valkryies (from die Walkure) among others
Elgar (wrote "Enigma Variations", "Pomp and Circumstance")
Igor Stravinsky ("Rite of Spring")
Carl Orff ("Carmina Burana")
Antonin Dvorak (Wrote "Symphony no. 9. the New World Symphony". Very popular and the second movement is the very popular and moving music from "going home"...also the song played at Jack Ryan's friend's funeral in one of the Tom Clancy movies.  Very popular in D.C. at funerals.)
Gustav Mahler (the intro to Symphony no. 5 is great)

The reason that John Williams' movie music is so great is that he was influenced HEAVILY by the music of the above composers (and many others) and doesn't really try to stray from their styles that much.  He has no problem "quoting" the great composers and shaping their melodies and forms to fit movies.  If you listen to enough of 'em, it's easy to hear where Williams got his ideas.

Rich
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Some of my favorite tracks:

James Horner - Apollo 13 - All Systems Go/The Launch

John Williams:

The Empire Strikes Back - Escape from Cloud City/Hyperspace
The Empire Strikes Back - The Imperial March
The Empire Strikes Back - The Asteroid Field
A New Hope - Ben's Death and the TIE Fighter Attack
A New Hope - The Last Battle
A New Hope - The Throne Room and End Titles
Return of the Jedi - Battle of Endor I
The Phantom Menace - Duel of the Fates
Superman - Main Title
Superman - The Planet Krypton
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - Finale and End Credits
Raiders of the Lost Ark - Main Title
Raiders of the Lost Ark - The Map Room
Raiders of the Lost Ark - Desert Chase

Randy Edelman - Gettysburg:

Main Title
Fife and Gun
Over the Fence
Reunion and Finale
From History to Legend
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]
The Rock
Pirates of the Caribbean
Lord Of The Rings
Gettysburg

are my favorites
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#12]
...and here I was thinking that I was the only loser who listened to soundtracks!

I caught all sorts of shit at the Academy for having so many soundtracks in the collection. I guess some guys have no appreciation of fine music.

I bet they all became Marines!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Tagalicious  Groovin' thread
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The reason that John Williams' movie music is so great is that he was influenced HEAVILY by the music of the above composers (and many others) and doesn't really try to stray from their styles that much.  He has no problem "quoting" the great composers and shaping their melodies and forms to fit movies.  If you listen to enough of 'em, it's easy to hear where Williams got his ideas.

Rich

Through out time, all of the great composers borrowed liberally from each other.

I too am a great fan of soundtrack music, as they are the modern equivalents of Mozart, Beethovan etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, if we're combining a discussion of the original Masters with soundtracks, then we MUST mention the soundtrack from Amadeus.

Put in Disc 2, forward to the Requiem Mass, crank up the volume, and prepare to be transported to another plane.

Who needs drugs when you've got Mozart and Williams?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#16]
1.   Get an XM Radio

2.    Tune in the Cinemagic station.

3.    Enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Anything by John Williams

+1
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Get some Mahler symphonies.

JW's star wars stuff always reminds me of that.

The score to empire strikes back is great.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Soundtrack to Predator is good in that way
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#20]
The soundtrack to Gladiator is pretty good too, some part are ripped off from "The Planets"
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, there's always the soundtrack for Ep III (which I feel is the best soundtrack of all the prequels).

If you want something inspired by SW but not actually from the movies, you can search around on the net for the soundtrack to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. There was never an official release, but people ripped the music files from the game into MP3 format and put it up for download. Some good original themes and use of the main star wars themes. My fave is probably the track 'The Old Republic'....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top