Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 5:51:21 PM EDT
Here is a movie I'll.... never watch. I really could give a crap about a bunch of skaters with no real purpose in life. What say you?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I dunno, it's entertainment, based on entertainers.
If everything had to have a purpose, would there be movies at all?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was about prarie dog hunting......
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I dunno, it's entertainment, based on entertainers.
If everything had to have a purpose, would there be movies at all?

Getting philosophical?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I plan on watching it. Today I watched "Dogtown and the Z-Boys," a documentary about the same subject. Some of those guys made a pile of money. Also pretty interesting to see the evolution of skating.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll see it for sure.

Based on the documentary Dogtown And Z-Boys obvioulsy.

The documentary was great. A real flashback, even though I came into skating a few years after most of those guys were famous.

And what the hell is wrong with a bunch of teenagers living life with no purpose anyway? Isn't that what being a teenager is all about?

Or did you not have any fun as a kid?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]
No skateboard movie could ever top Gleaming the Cube.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a Powell Double Beamer for sale...Yellow with black beams.. Magnesium six tracks as well.. Hangin on the wall for the last 20 yrs..

Seriously....
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I plan on watching it. Today I watched "Dogtown and the Z-Boys," a documentary about the same subject. Some of those guys made a pile of money. Also pretty interesting to see the evolution of skating.

+1
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Never was into the skating thing. I can understand it being a flashback for those guys that were through that era. And I had plenty as fun when I was younger.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here is a movie I'll.... never watch. I really could give a crap about a bunch of skaters with no real purpose in life. What say you?

I concur 100%. Definitely an ARFcom generation gap going on in this very thread. It's funny how some guys can relate and some can't. I for one cannot relate to a bunch of longhairs skateboarding without apparent direction in life.
Damn I'm getting old
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I concur 100%. Definitely an ARFcom generation gap going on in this very thread. It's funny how some guys can relate and some can't. I for one cannot relate to a bunch of longhairs skateboarding without apparent direction in life.
Damn I'm getting old

Generation gap? I was gnawing on a fudgecicle watching bugs bunny when these guys were thrashin'. And skating seems to be as big as ever now.
You guys born in the '50s?

Believe me, I don't have much time for he hang out and party doper types. But these guys were really good at what they did, and that deserves some respect.
The real problem I have, is when people use these guys as an excuse to lead vague pointless lives.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn I'm getting old

Generation gap? I was gnawing on a fudgecicle watching bugs bunny when these guys were thrashin'. And skating seems to be as big as ever now.
You guys born in the '50s?

Nope. Born in early 70's in NY. Been working or in school my whole life. I can't relate to somebody who's life revolves around a skateboard. I'm sorry if this seems coarse, but I just can't. My priorities are just different.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I was a skater, and I'll be seeing that movie.  I lived the life for a few years...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Skated with soem of those guys at the reservior in North San Diego County until it was torn down. I'll bet the movie is kind of like a real life Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  Man, I still want a Logan Earth Ski.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Nope. Born in early 70's in NY. Been working or in school my whole life. I can't relate to somebody who's life revolves around a skateboard. I'm sorry if this seems coarse, but I just can't. My priorities are just different.

That's cool.
Everybody has hobbies.
If I ever have kids, I'd rather see them on a skateboard than parked in front of the TV.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#17]
This beamer is in great shape.. They made something like 500 of them.. Had to stay home from school the day UPS brought it.. Think it was like 60 bux or something like that.. Sixtrack mags were the same deal 50 bux each stupidly light and never ground.. Even got the copers on them still!  I bought a Tailbone from a guy at Powell last year.. Name was Stacy... Sounded like the man himself but who knows...  I could have talked to the guy that started it all!!!

Id like to find a single beamer or a Brite Lite.. Also have a Ray Bones and an original purple Alan Gelfand
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ummmm.. They started a whole way of life for some people...

A few are multi-millionaires...With no real purpose in life...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll watch the movie.  I was into skateboarding at that time, but was never that great at it.  Mainly it was a great time hanging out with my friends skating everywhere we went.  

Ebay is the place to sell skateboards.  I sold my mint Dogtown Biniak board some years back for $3550.  Prices were crazy back then.  I paid $40 for it back in 1986 or so, which I thought was a great price for a new board made in either the late 70's or early 80's.  My brother and I had bought some factory "seconds" off a guy who worked at the factory for $10 each and sold them all off from $600-$1250 each.  I don't know if the prices are that high still, but you'll definately make money on that stuff still, especially if it's in new condition.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
No skateboard movie could ever top The Search for Animal Chin

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
This beamer is in great shape.. They made something like 500 of them.. Had to stay home from school the day UPS brought it.. Think it was like 60 bux or something like that.. Sixtrack mags were the same deal 50 bux each stupidly light and never ground.. Even got the copers on them still!  I bought a Tailbone from a guy at Powell last year.. Name was Stacy... Sounded like the man himself but who knows...  I could have talked to the guy that started it all!!!  

They made 2000, and they sold for $45 each.  It sounds like it might have been Stacy Peralta, as in Powell & Peralta.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I will never waste my money on amovie thats about some hippie douche bag skater punks.  Now Lords of Dogtown get to sent to meet old Gunny Hi-Way now that I would watch.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#23]
i don't know if it is a generational thing.  i didn't drop my board until i got my 1st rifle.

i think my dad, born in 47, would have liked the docu, which was pretty good, and the movie, which looks sorta lame, more than me.

he spent way more time on a surfboard than i ever skated.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#24]
It'll be a kook movie.
Just like most other hollywood movie based on a sport. It'll just devolve into some story about love or drama.
Did any surfers like blue crush?
A documentary is one thing but a skate drama??

teh ghey.

Whats next, an 'awesome' snowboard movie??

I will admit, it is cool to see the guy doing a Bert slide over the free former logo. Takes me back to the day before the day.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:15:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I know nothing of skating, but I'll see the film.  It looks quite fetching.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Thats one movie ill never see because im not in do skating
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top