Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 9:48:51 AM EDT
12 pack of beer, pizza on the way, band of brothers dvd set.  going to watch the whole thing in one setting.  see you guys later.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#1]
lets hear it for outstanding ways to spend a sunday.
hats off to you sir.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#2]
You Sir will not be dissapointed.  You will want to beat the living shit out of that asshat from friends...David Schwimmer.  I hated him before Band Of Brothers...I really can't stand him now.  He is a no talent...plays the same weasily winey character no matter what.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Like Captain Nixon said, "Captain Sobel is a genius."

He was the best to train them, and they became the best because of it.    

E Company, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division was the finest elite unit because of the hell he put them through.   Tempered in fire, wrought in battle.   They owe a lot to him.

He killed himself later in life, because he was so hated.   But that hatred made them do better just to piss him off.  He was truly a great trainer..... but a shitty leader.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You Sir will not be dissapointed.  You will want to beat the living shit out of that asshat from friends...David Schwimmer.  I hated him before Band Of Brothers...I really can't stand him now.  He is a no talent...plays the same weasily winey character no matter what.

Actually I have a LOT of respect for Schwimmer. His character on Friends is fucking gay but has almost nothing in common with Sobel. Sobel wasn't a senstive loser. Furthermore Schwimmers portrayal of Sobel (according to what I've read about Sobel in Ambroses book) was dead on. And finally for someone like Schwimmer to play such an asshole character is respectable and he greatly contributed to the production.

To say he has no talent when he fucking nailed the character is less than accurate. It is ok to hate Schwimmer for his work on friends (I know I used to) but his work on BoB gained some of my respect.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually I have a LOT of respect for Schwimmer. His character on Friends is fucking gay but has almost nothing in common with Sobel. Sobel wasn't a senstive loser. Furthermore Schwimmers portrayal of Sobel (according to what I've read about Sobel in Ambroses book) was dead on. And finally for someone like Schwimmer to play such an asshole character is respectable and he greatly contributed to the production.

To say he has no talent when he fucking nailed the character is less than accurate. It is ok to hate Schwimmer for his work on friends (I know I used to) but his work on BoB gained some of my respect.

+1
Steyer you just saved me some typing.  I agree with every thing you said.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]
My friend and I agreed that I am most like Lt. Spiers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think he played the part perfectly, according to the book Sobel was whiny petty self-centered ass hole.  David Schwimmer is PERFECT for a character like that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#9]
oops double tap
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1 here too
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1 here too

I never said that he didn't play the character dead on or well for that matter.  I said that he plays the same whiney weasel in everything that he does.  I don't think this role was a stretch for him acting wise.  Yes, the real Cpt. Nixon was the same way.  I never said that Schwimmer wasn't perfect for the role either.  If I was cast to play myself in the story of DVR9, it wouldn't be a stretch would it.  Can anyone name a role that Schwimmer played anything other than a complete ass or a loser schmuck?  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
only a 12 pack?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
only a 12 pack?

ok, starting with a 12 pack, its half gone and am only on episode 4
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I watched the entire special features disk last night. Amazing stuff. I've had at least 3 marathons since last Christmas
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I never said that he didn't play the character dead on or well for that matter.  I said that he plays the same whiney weasel in everything that he does.  

Yes I read that. But it simply isn't true.

Quoted:
I don't think this role was a stretch for him acting wise.  

Yes good casting. But to suggest that Ross from friends, whatever his fucking name was on The Paulbearer and Sobel are identical characters that require no acting ability is absurd.

You don't like th guy. You probably don't like him from his characters like Ross. That is fine. But saying he didn't have to "act" to pull off Sobel is stupid.

Furthermore you need to be able to separate the actor from his roles. Michael Douglas is NOTHING like the characters he portrays in Falling Down the Ghost and the Darkness. Schwimmer by the same token is obviously NOT the whiney weasel you make him out to be or he wouldn't have touched this project.

As for other great roles. Hell name ANYTHING done by any member from "Friends" that was great? Only Schwimmer seems to have done one.

I think you need to be a bit more objective.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never said that he didn't play the character dead on or well for that matter.  I said that he plays the same whiney weasel in everything that he does.  

Quoted:

Yes good casting. But to suggest that Ross from friends, whatever his fucking name was on The Paulbearer and Sobel are identical characters that require no acting ability is absurd.

You don't like th guy. You probably don't like him from his characters like Ross. That is fine. But saying he didn't have to "act" to pull off Sobel is stupid.

Furthermore you need to be able to separate the actor from his roles. Michael Douglas is NOTHING like the characters he portrays in Falling Down the Ghost and the Darkness. Schwimmer by the same token is obviously NOT the whiney weasel you make him out to be or he wouldn't have touched this project.

As for other great roles. Hell name ANYTHING done by any member from "Friends" that was great? Only Schwimmer seems to have done one.

I think you need to admit that you loved "TEAM AMERICA"

For what it is worth, I thought Schwimmer was a putz long before Friends.  I don't need to be more objective...I honestly beleive that he is a no talent hack who cannot act.  I truthfully don't think he had to stretch his "acting muscles" to play Cpt. Nixon.  I do think he did the acting job of his life in the role and I don't know who they could have cast to elicit the ire and hatred of the audience that was necessary for this role.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For what it is worth, I thought Schwimmer was a putz long before Friends.  I don't need to be more objective...I honestly beleive that he is a no talent hack who cannot act.  I truthfully don't think he had to stretch his "acting muscles" to play Cpt. Nixon.  I do think he did the acting job of his life in the role and I don't know who they could have cast to elicit the ire and hatred of the audience that was necessary for this role.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Team America was pretty stupid.

Quoted:

OK, first it is Sobel an not Nixon.

Second, it is absurd to suggest that they simply found and identical loser to portray Sobel. The idea is dumb. If Schwimmer were the kind of person you suggest he'd whine about not having a cooler role and would try and worm his way into a more likeable character. In reality he nailed it and did as good a job as ANY actor could have.

You have a hard time accepting that due to an obvious bias.

I understand. I hate Ben Stiller in very much the same way. I think he is a no talent loser who gets way more credit than he deserves. I think his main contribution is to fuck up a movie. That said "Dodgeball" was fucking hilarious and much of that was due to him.

So I had to revise my opinion. I still hate him. I still think he is an overated hack who mostly isn't funny. But I will give him his due when he is.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Team America was pretty stupid.

Quoted:

OK, first it is Sobel an not Nixon.

Second, it is absurd to suggest that they simply found and identical loser to portray Sobel. The idea is dumb. If Schwimmer were the kind of person you suggest he'd whine about not having a cooler role and would try and worm his way into a more likeable character. In reality he nailed it and did as good a job as ANY actor could have.

You have a hard time accepting that due to an obvious bias.

I understand. I hate Ben Stiller in very much the same way. I think he is a no talent loser who gets way more credit than he deserves. I think his main contribution is to fuck up a movie. That said "Dodgeball" was fucking hilarious and much of that was due to him.

So I had to revise my opinion. I still hate him. I still think he is an overated hack who mostly isn't funny. But I will give him his due when he is.

I stand corrected...Cpt. Sobel.  I freely admit, I have a bias.  Schwimmer to me has very little if no talent.  As you stated in the TEAM AMERICA thread, am I not entitled to my opinion?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I stand corrected...Cpt. Sobel.  I freely admit, I have a bias.  Schwimmer to me has very little if no talent.  As you stated in the TEAM AMERICA thread, am I not entitled to my opinion?

You are entitled to you opinion.

I understand you do not like Schwimmer. That is opinion and it cannot be negated by some who "does" like Schwimmer. Those things are more personal taste and extremely subjective.

However when you say he has "no talent", or if I were to suggest the same about Stiller, then we are moving into a less subjective area. Our "opinons" can be offset by demonstrated performance.

Now you did qualify that he has no talent "to you" which has returned it to subjective opinion. But here it is still opinon despite demonstrated performance. It is kinda like a person who hates Bush so much they refuse to give him credit for the good things he's done by stating that "to them" he still is a terrible President.

I try and be a little more honest than my personal biases. Which means if Ben Stiller makes a funny movie, I have to give credit. I could be like you and suggest the only reason he was good in Dodgeball was the part was tailor made to such a loser as Stiller and they only had to roll the cameras and let him act like the loser dick he is. But that would be a pretty absurd suggestion.

If it makes you feel better, I still hate Stiller DESPITE thinking he was funny. So you are entitled to hate Schwimmer. That is certainly your opinion.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My friend and I agreed that I am most like Lt. Spiers.

<-- Nixon  

After reading the book I feel I have most in common with Webster.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#24]
do the same for '24' 'alias' and see if that messes with your mind
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Like Captain Nixon said, "Captain Sobel is a genius."

He was the best to train them, and they became the best because of it.    

E Company, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division was the finest elite unit because of the hell he put them through.   Tempered in fire, wrought in battle.   They owe a lot to him.

He killed himself later in life, because he was so hated.   But that hatred made them do better just to piss him off.  He was truly a great trainer..... but a shitty leader.

I recently read the just-released biography of Dick Winters and he certainly doesn't share this opinion of Sobel's contributin to Easy.  

Ambrose's portrayal of Winters was very colored by his respect and admiration for the man.  The biography (authorized by Winters) portrays him as a man who carved notches on the stock of his Garand for every German he killed and who was quite critical of the officers who served with him, including Welsh, Nixon, Compton, Strayer, and Sobel.  Towards the end of the war Winters and Lt. Peacock seem to have been quite chummy...as strange as that seems from the book and mini-series.

Very different view of Winters (and Sobel's contributions in Winter's eyes....he hated Sobel with a passion) than that portrayed by Ambrose.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:32:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are entitled to you opinion.

I understand you do not like Schwimmer. That is opinion and it cannot be negated by some who "does" like Schwimmer. Those things are more personal taste and extremely subjective.

However when you say he has "no talent", or if I were to suggest the same about Stiller, then we are moving into a less subjective area. Our "opinons" can be offset by demonstrated performance.

Now you did qualify that he has no talent "to you" which has returned it to subjective opinion. But here it is still opinon despite demonstrated performance. It is kinda like a person who hates Bush so much they refuse to give him credit for the good things he's done by stating that "to them" he still is a terrible President.

I try and be a little more honest than my personal biases. Which means if Ben Stiller makes a funny movie, I have to give credit. I could be like you and suggest the only reason he was good in Dodgeball was the part was tailor made to such a loser as Stiller and they only had to roll the cameras and let him act like the loser dick he is. But that would be a pretty absurd suggestion.

If it makes you feel better, I still hate Stiller DESPITE thinking he was funny. So you are entitled to hate Schwimmer. That is certainly your opinion.

I do believe that I said that he played the part well..."played the role of a lifetime" was the phrase I used I think.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:57:57 AM EDT
[#27]
"What's his problem?"

"Gonorrhea."

"Really?"

"No stupid, Guarnere, gonorrhea, get it?"
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#28]
I liked Ron Livingston's portrayal of Cpt. Nixon, it's just too bad I had to see Livingston play the part of a typical modern, caring, sensitive, and whiny failing author in Sex and the City (I know, flame away, I watched it with my wife...)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top