Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 8:33:51 PM EDT
No... I'm not making this shit up.

Well, gotta give them credit for thinking ahead of the game for once.

www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/05/20/space.advertising.reut/index.html

U.S.: No billboards in space

Friday, May 20, 2005 Posted: 10:36 AM EDT (1436 GMT)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The U.S. government does not want billboards in space.

The Federal Aviation Administration proposed Thursday to amend its regulations to ensure that it can enforce a law that prohibits "obtrusive" advertising in zero gravity.

"Objects placed in orbit, if large enough, could be seen by people around the world for long periods of time," the FAA said in a regulatory filing.

Currently, the FAA lacks the authority to enforce the existing law.

For instance, outsized billboards deployed by a space company into low Earth orbit could appear as large as the moon and be seen without a telescope, the FAA said. Big and bright advertisements might hinder astronomers.

"Large advertisements could destroy the darkness of the night sky," regulators said.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Just...wow.

The cool thing is, as soon as some loon goes and launches a billboard, they'll have to create a taxpayer-funded enforcement division to shoot them down.

I predict a run on Barrett .50's, and a mad dash of applicants for the 'zero-gravity sniper' jobs......
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Although I agree with the principle...how the fuck is the FAA going to stop a company in another country from putting ANYTHING in space......stupid MF'ers.

This is an example of .gov run amuck.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Big Brother in action.

So can I pay to put an ad on the moon?  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just...wow.

The cool thing is, as soon as some loon goes and launches a billboard, they'll have to create a taxpayer-funded enforcement division to shoot them down.

I predict a run on Barrett .50's, and a mad dash of applicants for the 'zero-gravity sniper' jobs......

Either that or the high powered rocket crowd will now have targets to aim for!

I'm gonna be pissed if it blocks my GPS or DAVE signal.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
If someone really wants to do that anyways odds are they will go to the russians, devleop a self deploying mylar sheet with your company logo on it, idk say 100 miles on the side, throw an upper stage on it, place it in geosychronis orbit above where tale-tale atmospheric drag will cause orbital decay, and you'll have a bilboard visible at night to half a hemisphere.

I actually rather like that idea, I think I'd find it reassuring to look up and see a giant Lockheed Martin or Cadillac logo in the sky.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Good. we dont need more shit floating around out there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]
A company should be formed to blow them out of orbit unless said company can pay to have said sign protected from such misfortune.  Can't be cheap to put the thing up, right.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.dogscoff.co.uk/images/misc/Chairface.gif

Chad? Charlie? Charo suspected...

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOON!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya'll don't read enough comic books.  That is the result of Chairface Chippendales foiled large scale vandalism escapade, foiled by nigh invulnerable man himself...The Tick!  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya'll don't read enough comic books.  That is the result of Chairface Chippendales foiled large scale vandalism escapade, foiled by nigh invulnerable man himself...The Tick!  

You don't read enough into your comic books.  In that issue, after Chairface was arrested, the newspaper's headlines the next day were "Chad? Charlie? Charo suspected in...."
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't read enough into your comic books.  In that issue, after Chairface was arrested, the newspaper's headlines the next day were "Chad? Charlie? Charo suspected in...."

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I seem to recall once a SF story called 'Buy Jupiter', where aliens lease Jupiter from Earth to work as a big advertising billboard because the Solar System is on a main interstellar thoroughfare...

NTM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top