Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 5:03:36 PM EDT
I upgraded last year, got a Armstrong 3ton 12 seer.

I paid juts over $600 for the unit, and $200 for installation.

My HVAC guy told me that that the same unit today is $1200, DAMN, doubled in price in a year.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I work for a major HVAC/R wholesaler and sell a competive brand of A/C units. The 10 & 12 SEER units are still the same price on my end as they were. It's the new 13 and 14 SEER units that have R410A as a refrigerant are more  expensive to retrofit since the evaporator has to be changed out as well, due to the much higher system pressures. They are physically much larger too (25-30%) for the added efficiencies, which means it has more steel, aluminum, copper etc..  As of 2006 no more units can be produced using R22 so they are doing all they can to get people moving in the newer higher SEER direction. Some dealers and suppliers are artificially raising the lower SEER unit pricing to make it less of a gap to move up to the newer High Efficency models the Manufacturers are pushing down to the Wholesalers.

just an FYI moment
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top