Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 9:05:54 AM EDT
I'm no criminal, my kids say I drive too slow, and basically I don't violate the law.

I am an advocate for the Sheriff being the permier law enforcement officer of his county, so when I see one of his deputies driving down the road or parked beside the road I generally waive, both to be friendly and as a sign of support.  NOT ONCE has one of them returned the waive.

My question is...is it a local thing or is this typical behavior across the country?  Is it this way for any particular reason?  I ask because it is becoming irritating.  What's the deal?

-KW
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you waiving any rights?

(sorry, couldn't resist picking on the typo!!  )

Where I live, cops generally wave back to me when I wave at them.  Maybe sometimes they're just not seeing you?   (but I'm not a LEO, so I don't really know)

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure it's just an "individual" thing.

I know I used to always wave back at folks who waved at me.  Just seemed polite.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm no criminal, my kids say I drive too slow, and basically I don't violate the law.

I am an advocate for the Sheriff being the permier law enforcement officer of his county, so when I see one of his deputies driving down the road or parked beside the road I generally waive, both to be friendly and as a sign of support.  NOT ONCE has one of them returned the waive.

My question is...is it a local thing or is this typical behavior across the country?  Is it this way for any particular reason?  I ask because it is becoming irritating.  What's the deal?

-KW

Most of the ones around here waive as you pass them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it's local. When I lived in California, the local Sherrif's deputy was a member of a motorcycle club called (I'm not kidding) "The Wild Pigs". I was over at my next doot neighbor's house and a bunch of his buddies showed up on their bikes. It was kind of cool looking in front of his house, so I pulled my custom out of the garage and parked it there with the rest of them.

We were all standing there - next to our bikes - drinking beer and generally getting shitfaced when we saw the deputy coming down the street in his cruiser. We all set out beer cans down next to our feet and smiled. He drove by and gave us the 'ol then smiled, waved and kept going. We liked him. I helped him with his Thunderslide kit on an FXR a few days later.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I wave at people when I see them.  Especially kids.

I have probably been guilty of being rude but it's not my intention.  Usually, if I am driving, I am going somewhere and thinking of the call or listening to the car radio/computer.  If not, I am looking for traffic violations (tags, etc...)  If I am stopped, sometimes I am watching something, writing or on the computer clearing my call.   If I am doing a traffic stop, all my attention is on my radio and the car, period.  If they look at you and don't return the wave, well, maybe they are just plain unfriendly.

In the rare instances I am just kicking back, I usually catch people trying to get my attention and don't mind chit-chatting or saying hi.

Sorry you feel slighted, if you are ever in my town...I will buy ya a donut!

NorCal

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Most of them around here wave if they are looking up - often they are writing.  They seem very friendly.  I have never gotten a ticket, but last year they pulled me over in my driveway about 6 times and seemed very nice (our driveway goes away back and we where still building and I came and went at a lot of odd times in the night, when they saw the lights of my truck coming up or down the drive they would usually pull in and make sure it was me).

Dan
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#7]
When I was a LEO,  if I saw you wave, I'd wave back.  Sometimes people would wave with one finger, I usually stopped to say hello to them.

BBossman
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I probably wave at more than 100 people a day, every day I work.  I also stop and talk to people just to say hi.  I stop to make sure people ar OK if it appears thay are broken down or may have some other problem.  What is funny is after waving at all those people some people in the community will complain if you do not wave at them.

Sometimes I will be talking on the radio or writing something down or on my way to a hot call or just thinking of something else or looking the other way and people think you are rude because you didn't wave at them.

Maybe in that part of the Country cops just don't wave, I do not know why.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I probably wave at more than 100 people a day, every day I work.  I also stop and talk to people just to say hi.  I stop to make sure people ar OK if it appears thay are broken down or may have some other problem.  What is funny is after waving at all those people some people in the community will complain if you do not wave at them.

Sometimes I will be talking on the radio or writing something down or on my way to a hot call or just thinking of something else or looking the other way and people think you are rude because you didn't wave at them.

You make a good point.  It's quite possible that I'm the one that doesn't get seen when I waive.  No big deal.  Hopefully I won't be seen when I accidently exceed the posted speed limit.

Thanks all for your responses.

-KW
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am an advocate for the Sheriff being the permier law enforcement officer of his county,

The Coroner is the top LEO.

so when I see one of his deputies driving down the road or parked beside the road I generally waive, both to be friendly and as a sign of support.  NOT ONCE has one of them returned the waive.

Two hands on the wheel

-KW

This is what irritates you in life? You're a lucky man.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I believe the Sheriff, by law is the top Law Enforcement Officer in every county in this Country.
The Sheriff is also the Coroner in many Counties.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the Sheriff, by law is the top Law Enforcement Officer in every county in this Country.
The Sheriff is also the Coroner in many Counties.

The coroner is the only county official who can arrest the Sheriff here.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're wrong.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

so when I see one of his deputies driving down the road or parked beside the road I generally waive, both to be friendly and as a sign of support.  NOT ONCE has one of them returned the waive.

Two hands on the wheel

AHA!!!!

But what about the NY Trooper who was gabbing on her cellphone????

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Sukebe is correct.  In Ohio the coroner is the top LE official.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two hands on the wheel

AHA!!!!

But what about the NY Trooper who was gabbing on her cellphone????

BURN HER!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#18]
It is different in each state.  Here in my county, It's the Sheriff.

Some counties/states the TopCop is the County Prosecuter (DA), some the Coroner, and some it is the CEO of the locality.

YMMV state to state.

NorCal
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#19]
My fatehr is a retired LEO and always said the following abiyut people waving at him and other cpos.  " Guilty" But my old amn was pretty much an asshole at times, especially when he had his badge on. I dunno.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#20]
They wave, I wave.
Being friendly cost nothing, and can pay big dividens.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I work mostly nights, nobody waves.  When I'm on days, for at least the first week, people wave at me and I think they are up to something.  Then I realize that on days human beings come out on the streets.

I wave back, espacially kids, they love that junk.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#22]
You live in the south. Everyone waves to everyone while driving down the road. I wore out my waving hand living in Kentucky. Then once I finally get so used to waving at people that I don't even think about it anymore, I move back to Washington. Now everyone looks at me like I'm the freak for waving
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#23]
As a LEO since birth, I do not tpically let my astrological sign get in the way of whether or not I will wave to someone
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I would argue that the County Attorney or State's Attorney is actually the 'premier' law enforcement officer in the County. After all, he may dismiss or file charges at will, unlike the Sheriff.

On to your real question:

Must be local. All the local deputies wave but the State Troopers and City cops don't. My favorite LEOs all come out of local Sheriff's departments.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#26]
If I waved, I'd wind up dropping my doughnut!

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I stand on the side of the road and do this:

tinypic.com/5a5o4k

Only after eating Chili....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I work mostly nights, nobody waves.  When I'm on days, for at least the first week, people wave at me and I think they are up to something.  Then I realize that on days human beings come out on the streets.

I wave back, espacially kids, they love that junk.

Yeah, that's what I miss most on midnights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top