Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 8:04:26 AM EDT
I'm hoping to get some help in deciding what to do about putting up a fence.  We want either a vinyl fence, or prefeably, aluminum.   4 feet high, nothing crazy.  We don't want chain link or a wooden stockade type.

Financially speaking, hiring someone to do it is out.  And, after looking around and learning what is involved, I think doing it myself is out of the question also!  I just can't be digging holes and cementing posts into the ground.

So where does that leave me?  I've been researching and found a type of arbor that can be driven into the ground like a stake.  The post slips over this.  But I cannot find anyone who has used this type of system to confirm if it is indeed good or not.

Another option, which is similar is sold at lowes.  It also uses spikes driven into the ground which the post then screws into.  It is aluminum and affordable, however it is only 30 inches in height and I'm not sure that is going to be tall enough.

So, is there anything else out there that someone can turn me onto?  Have any of you done anything like this before, or seen something that might work for me?  Any help appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm hoping to get some help in deciding what to do about putting up a fence.  We want either a vinyl fence, or prefeably, aluminum.   4 feet high, nothing crazy.  We don't want chain link or a wooden stockade type.

Financially speaking, hiring someone to do it is out.  And, after looking around and learning what is involved, I think doing it myself is out of the question also!  I just can't be digging holes and cementing posts into the ground.

So where does that leave me?  I've been researching and found a type of arbor that can be driven into the ground like a stake.  The post slips over this.  But I cannot find anyone who has used this type of system to confirm if it is indeed good or not.

Another option, which is similar is sold at lowes.  It also uses spikes driven into the ground which the post then screws into.  It is aluminum and affordable, however it is only 30 inches in height and I'm not sure that is going to be tall enough.

So, is there anything else out there that someone can turn me onto?  Have any of you done anything like this before, or seen something that might work for me?  Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Use concrete as a footing if youi want the thing to last.  Or, you can go this route:

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#2]
What about a neighborhood kid who may need extra cash dig the post holes for you?

I'm not sure about the systems you have mentioned.  I've seen them before, but always opted the cement and post route.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#3]
You need to cement the posts for a fence to be sturdy.  You can buy 8 foot or so sections at some place like lowe's/home depot.  Then basically you have to put it together.  It would be pretty easy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just can't be digging holes and cementing posts into the ground.

Why not? Go rent a power auger.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have decent ground and a good buddy, rent an auger and do the holes.  We did a 4x4 post fence this way but it was a little tough cause the ground was clay.  Once the holes are dug you can space out the rest at a more leisurely pace.

We did 2x6 rails and left a 10 foot section with slide out rails for car or truck access.  Worked out well when we needed a crane to lift an AC unit on the roof.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree concret, as for the type of fence, go fiber glass.
http://www.fiberfence.com/
We did this about 4 years ago. Still looks good, no sagging like vinyl. No problems at all.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Just rent a post hole digger that is gas powered. Sit it over the spot and down it goes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just can't be digging holes and cementing posts into the ground.

Why not? Go rent a power auger.

+1
Its not that hard and the hammer in style posts will not stay plumb over time.  I suggect you get the power auger and a jack hammer as the augers don't even like medium sized rocks.  I've helped 2 friends with their fences and we will be doing mine next as soon as my grass comes in.  Depending on the size of the lot this is really only a wekend job, maybe 2 weekends if its more than 400 linear feet and grading is complicated.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#9]
One thing I would advise you to do, is have your property surveyed (if you do not have a very recent one) by a registered surveyor and get your corners marked. Place the fence just inside your property line so that you do not get into it with your neighbors. I have seen many a fence put on the wrong property and it can/will cause quite a headache for you depending on the type of neighbor you have. Also, your neighbor may be okay with it, but not the guy who buys it on down the road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top