Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/20/2005 6:26:08 AM EDT
What TV series most brutally, blatantly jumped the shark?  Alternatively, what TV series NEVER jumped the shark?

My entry - Magnum PI never jumped the shark.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#1]
You've been looking at that site that has all the "Jump the Shark" listings for TV shows haven't you?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, obviously the shark jumping scene from Happy days just *might* take the cake

I think that Dallas did it worst: Bobby Ewing waking up from a dream that encompassed the last, what, 3 seasons?

Runner up: Babylon 5. They had four STRONG (strong to the point of: Some of the episodes were among the best written, acted, and directed I've ever seen on TV) seasons and then the fifth was nearly unwatchable.

as for never jumping the shark?

COPS.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:38:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, Firefly never got the CHANCE to jump the shark...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes I just have NO fucking idea what y'all are talking about!!!!!.........<-----(this is my favorite icon for today!!!!)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
When the General Lee magically shrunk to model car size for jumps, and aliens came to Hazzard County.
When the A-Team got captured and were working for some freak for the last season.  When that wierd guy from the Bronx came to the show to be the Team's hero.
When KITT got the Superpursuit mod, and what was supposed to be rocket nozzles never spit fire.

I figure it was when KATT came on the scene.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:53:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Magnum PI never jumped the shark.

Big +1

I think CSI jumped the shark last night when they snatched the dude out of the boobie trapped grave and dumped dirt on it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Any sitcom that ever added a kid more than halfway through the show.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The Rosie O'Donut show jumped shark right before the opening scene of the first episode.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Rosie O'Donut show jumped shark right before the opening scene of the first episode.

Dude, she ate the shark...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When Dora the Explorer had the twin broter/sister!

Damn, I hate my kids, they make me watch that crap...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#12]
"That 70's Show" now that Eric is going to Africa, Jackie moved to Chicago, and that lame-ass sitcom device, "a totally unrelated person moves into the house" has been invoked yet again in the form of Red's war buddies' son, whathisname.

They should just kill this one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Buffy the Vampire Slayer adding Dawn - Buffy's 14 year old sister.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Holy moses.

Y'all watch too much TV.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sometimes I just have NO fucking idea what y'all are talking about!!!!!.........<-----(this is my favorite icon for today!!!!)

Do you remember the Happy days episode when Fonzie jumped the shark while water skiing? it was a horrible attempt to increase ratings. Now that term is used to describe when a show has declined so much they have to resort to such silly antics.

www.jumptheshark.com
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you remember the Happy days episode when Fonzie jumped the shark while water skiing? it was a horrible attempt to increase ratings. Now that term is used to describe when a show has declined so much they have to resort to such silly antics.

www.jumptheshark.com

Who in their right mind wears a leather motorcycle jacket while water skiing?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.jumptheshark.com

The FONZ........Duh!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer adding Dawn - Buffy's 14 year old sister.

I must respectfully disagree.  A show as tongue-in-cheek as BtVS that never takes itself as seriously asmost of its fans cannot, IMHO, "jump the shark."

(Besides, the late "addition" of Dawn was explained very well within the context of the show and her origin was clearly intended from her very first appearance, i.e. it fit that season's entire story arc.  It doesn't mean that Dawn wasn't the "Scrappy-Doo" of the Buffyverse, as many claim - just that she was more significant than the aforementioned sitcom-child-added-as-an-afterthought.)

(Slow Friday... )
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I think if it wasn't for Oliver, Brady Bunch would still be on....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.jumptheshark.com

I've been looking for a pic ... cannot find one ...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#21]
M*A*S*H never jumped the shark...IMHO the greatest TV show EVAR!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Happy Days, Fonzie jumped a shark!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been looking for a pic ... cannot find one ...

Your Google Fu is very weak.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Au contrair!

They jumped the shark about the time when Frank Burns left. It stopped being funny and turned (even more) into a FAR lefting bleeding-heart blatantly "anti-military" show.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Runner up: Babylon 5. They had four STRONG (strong to the point of: Some of the episodes were among the best written, acted, and directed I've ever seen on TV) seasons and then the fifth was nearly unwatchable.

I could be wrong, but wasn't that because they THOUGHT that they were going to get cancelled after the 4th season, so they rearragned and rewrote everything so that most things could be wrapped up by the end of the 4th season.  Then, when they were renewed for the fifth season at the last minute - they kind of just had to make shit up to fill out a season?

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Au contrair!

They jumped the shark about the time when Frank Burns left. It stopped being funny and turned (even more) into a FAR lefting bleeding-heart blatantly "anti-military" show.

Hmmm...I don't remember it that way...do you have an example episode???
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1

I think CSI jumped the shark last night when they snatched the dude out of the boobie trapped grave and dumped dirt on it.

Oh come on man...that was probably the best episode they've ever had.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Miami Vice ... when Sonny thinks he is really the criminal he portrays while undercover ...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Miami Vice ... when Sonny thinks he is really the criminal he portrays while undercover ...

... following the boat explosion.  I loved that story-line.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#31]
From my childhood, The Great Gazoo
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Oh c'mon, HIGHLANDER, when Duncan has to fight the evil spirit that comes to the world every thousand years, winds up killing Ritchie, and cuts his hair off and becomes a monk.....

When they ended the prior season with the 4 horseman of the apocalypse, I knew it was going down hill from there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When Dora the Explorer had the twin broter/sister!

Damn, I hate my kids, they make me watch that crap...

While I don't hate mine and love to watch their shows with them, I have influenced them to cheer for Swiper the Fox when he comes    
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... following the boat explosion.  I loved that story-line.

the killer for me was ..... he thought he was the criminal, he killed people, shot at cops and they still let him be a cop again after that!  sure, no mental instability there!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
"That 70's Show" now that Eric is going to Africa, Jackie moved to Chicago, and that lame-ass sitcom device, "a totally unrelated person moves into the house" has been invoked yet again in the form of Red's war buddies' son, whathisname.

They should just kill this one.

As long as Donna moves into my room, I don't care.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I think if it wasn't for Oliver, Brady Bunch would still be on....

And what was up with that kid's HAIR?????????????
Great website...as a child of the 70's and 80's it makes for great reading (and memory triggering)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Oh c'mon, HIGHLANDER, when Duncan has to fight the evil spirit that comes to the world every thousand years, winds up killing Ritchie, and cuts his hair off and becomes a monk.....

When they ended the prior season with the 4 horseman of the apocalypse, I knew it was going down hill from there.

<sigh>
But Adrian Paul looked mighty fine doin' it all...
<sigh>

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

While I don't hate mine and love to watch their shows with them, I have influenced them to cheer for Swiper the Fox when he comes    

Oh MAAAAAAAAAN!!!!
I like swiper too...Be grateful...my youngest is hooked on Caillou and <hangs head in shame> teletubbies.
Every time he asks to watch those blabbering freaks, I say, "let's play trucks!" and we play crash derby with his tonkas.
MUCH better!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could be wrong, but wasn't that because they THOUGHT that they were going to get cancelled after the 4th season, so they rearragned and rewrote everything so that most things could be wrapped up by the end of the 4th season.  Then, when they were renewed for the fifth season at the last minute - they kind of just had to make shit up to fill out a season?

You're right. They in fact thought they were going to be cancelled IIRC after the 3rd season but got picked up again. Same thing happened after the 4th season.

Once they knew the 5th season was going to be picked up though, they should have done it up right...  5th season was a definite disappointment after the brilliance of the Shadow arc.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
When the General Lee magically shrunk to model car size for jumps, and aliens came to Hazzard County.
When the A-Team got captured and were working for some freak for the last season.  When that wierd guy from the Bronx came to the show to be the Team's hero.
When KITT got the Superpursuit mod, and what was supposed to be rocket nozzles never spit fire.

LOL,
Knight Rider is one of those shows where EVERY EPISODE had some shark jump'in in it!

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<sigh>
But Adrian Paul looked mighty fine doin' it all...
<sigh>

First off, thaks to all for explaining what 'Jump the shark' means, I'd of never figued it out otherwise. As for PlaymoreMinds, you are either gay, or a woman, please clarify.........enquiering minds want to know...........
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Au contrair!

Maybe its just me...............every time I watch M*A*S*H, I imagine how many minutes would pass before I seriously injured Allen Alda or the Pierce character.

Hard to tolerate people who don't have the respect or tact to shut their pie hole for a single second.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh.... That's why her breath smells like fish
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Au contrair!

Yep...actually it started going down hill when mcclain stevenson left - then trapper john - ferret face leaving was just the final nail in the coffin.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

First off, thaks to all for explaining what 'Jump the shark' means, I'd of never figued it out otherwise. As for PlaymoreMinds, you are either gay, or a woman, please clarify.........enquiering minds want to know...........

Female babe...all 100% of me...I know I know...post is useless without a pic
Badumdum

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Yep...actually it started going down hill when mcclain stevenson left - then trapper john - ferret face leaving was just the final nail in the coffin.

I don't agree that M*A*S*H* went ani-military so much as it went anit-war. I was in a M*A*S*H* unit from 85-92 and I imho that being the ones who see what happens to the fighters (and having to put them back together) puts a person into a very personal place about war.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Oh.... That's why her breath smells like fish

Had to there? ugh!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#48]
I think there are more TV shows that did jump the shark then didn't. But here's one -"The Odd Couple" with Tony Randall and Jack Klugman never jumped the shark.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1

Yeah, and the 3lbs of Cemtex rigged to explode with a pressure switch went of like a fart in church.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1

Oh come on man...that was probably the best episode they've ever had.

Written & directed by Quenton Tarrantino!   PULP CSI, BABY!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top