Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2005 12:13:01 PM EDT
do you think they would let actors, athletes, musicians and other celebtrity-types (that meet the recruitment age/physical criteria) off the hook from having to serve?

If no do you think they would at least be put into positions that would not put them in harms way, like
the Army Band/Soldier's Show or something like that?

Or are most of the celebrities in this country actually Canadian?

Currently, male U.S. citizens and many male aliens living in the U.S., if age 18 through 25, are required to register with the Selective Service System
source

Generally, when they start up a draft aren't they pretty much doing it to replenish the troop strength of the infantry forces? What woudl be the point in drafting to increase the numbers of clerks and cooks? If a draft were re-instated I suspect the people who expect their number to be called woudl be running to the recruiter to volunteer for the non-combat jobs before their number could be drawn.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If they want to rich and powerful people will always avoid being drafted into combat units. Capitalism can be a bitch but it is by far the best game in town.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
yep, money buys you anything in life.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Who could they pay off though? The "draft-recruiter"? Or would they send a blank check pay to the order of "the guy who will keep me from having to pick up a rifle". I don't really think of celebrities as being powerful... otherwise they wouldn't even get to court when they get in trouble... they'd make their payoffs via PayPal or BillPay.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who could they pay off though? The "draft-recruiter"? Or would they send a blank check pay to the order of "the guy who will keep me from having to pick up a rifle". I don't really think of celebrities as being powerful... otherwise they wouldn't even get to court when they get in trouble... they'd make their payoffs via PayPal or BillPay.

It didn't help Elvis.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It didn't help Elvis.

did elvis see combat?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
As I understand it, Elvis didn't try to get out of the draft. He felt it was his duty to go. You can be sure MOST celebrities don't feel that way!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If there was a draft, I would be a baker and bake bread, because apparently the need is so great over here I could never leave.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I've enlist just to get assigned to the group that grabbed AWOL celebrities and dragged their asses to boot camp.

Oh, and I'd also volunteer to be the one to hose down the hippy protestors with tear gas.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Wouldnt bother me one bit if the draft was reinstated.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
If it were to happen, just remember. The Democrats are the only party talking about having one.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Elvis had an option to do the same special services route so many stars used at the time. He (and maybe his manager) chose to serve in a platoon in Germany in the same basic manner Joe Snuffy had to serve.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It didn't help Elvis.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Cav, check the BRAC report. None of the surge basic training bases are being closed. Something is up, or being planned for.

Quoted:
If it were to happen, just remember. The Democrats are the only party talking about having one.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell I'll go

They just have to put my loans for my house and truck on a freeze
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#14]
The draft was initially adopted to bring men into the military to serve in a combat role.  The draft will never be used again.  The Selective Service Program is entirely different.  And, The IRR being called up to FINSH their initial CONTRACT is not a backdoor around the draft.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Cav, check the BRAC report. None of the surge basic training bases are being closed. Something is up, or being planned for.

You give them credit for being smart enough to coordinate a plan like that?

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Elvis still went.

[Dogma] Elvis was an artist, but he answered the call when his country needed him to do battle, and that is why he is The King.. and you are a schmuck! [/Dogma]

ETA: I remember hearing Bruce Willis tried to join the Army, even met with Bush to see if he could get around the age-limit rule to join up, and he was denied. He put forward a couple million dollars to whoever caught Saddam instead.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no doubt that celebrities would try to get out of the draft.  They have enough cash to buy their way out of the country, so I don't think they would try to pay off any government officials.  Yes Elvis served his time, but we live in a completely different world than we did then.  The MAJORITY of people saw it as their duty to serve when drafted, excluding Clinton.  People now see it as an infringement of their rights.  And in a way it is.  But the way I see it, a person lives in this country, he ought to help "defend" it when called.  I think a lot of people in the US need the humbling experience to see what the cost of freedom really is all about.  Although I don't think our troops need to be in the sandbox right now for freedom of America.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
19 year olds go 1st then 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ,25 then 18  year olds... so I was told...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hell I'll go

They just have to put my loans for my house and truck on a freeze

I'm with ya....Add credit cards to my list though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I will only go if we invade France...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't go unless I could pay for and KEEP my own equipment; guns, BDU's, the works.
I'm not a friggin employee! If they want me to be their little "warrior", they will treat me like one.

It just seems really insulting to say;
"Hey, you over there...we want you to use this rifle and go kill people. We are going to train you and give you all this equipment. Oh, and when you're done, give it all back or we will throw you in prison. People like you can't be trusted with select-fire rifles!"

here come the flames

I almost forgot, I'll do it for you guys...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I almost forgot, I'll do it for with you guys...

this is better
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clebrities get out of all kinds of shit. You just don't hear about it.

Yes, they would get out of it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Clebrities get out of all kinds of shit.

To qualify your statement:  Most celebrities live in shit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe a draft would be a good thing, maybe we would see a lot of immigrants opting out their residency and going home, and slow down this influx of ferners. F%$K the celebrities! BTE The King refused special treatment while in the Army, he coulda gone on USO tours but flat out told the brass that he was happy in the barracks with his fellow soldiers....BTW, the Sey Hey Kid Willie Mays, to me the best baseball player of all time was drafted 2 years during his prime years, he hit 660 HR's (2 more years he woulda passed Ruth's 714 HR's). Ted Williams also flew for the USMC during WW2 , yipes he missed 4 years....
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes!!!  If a draft ever comes up again and you dont wish to go just start smoking weed and gaining weight.  Fail drug test and the physical you will not qualify.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yes!!!  If a draft ever comes up again and you dont wish to go just start smoking weed and gaining weight.  Fail drug test and the physical you will not qualify.

You can be sure the draft will have different standards.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Had a high school PE teacher that was drafted twice in one year.  First by the Green Bay Packers, then by the US Marines.  He went to Vietnam....he never got to play pro football but I admired the heck outta him.  He had assloads of money (ended up owning a car dealership) but still helped out at the high school because he was a great guy and wanted to help the more troubled kids....

They shouldn't let anyone get out of being drafted if they must start drafting people (which they won't and when I'm done with ROTC I want to lead soldiers that want to be there not draftee shit)
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An excellent reason not to have one.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

An excellent reason not to have one.....

Why, so those who don't have a sense of duty can sit on their fat asses while the best of this country's young people fight?

To hell with that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can almost guarantee the use of illegal substances by military personnel will always be illegal.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can almost guarantee the use of illegal substances by military personnel will always be illegal.

Certainly, but the militaty's concern for whether you were a pothead before you were drafted will disappear.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Certainly, but the militaty's concern for whether you were a pothead before you were drafted will disappear.

You may be right.

But in my world, participating in, and admitting to, ANY illegal activity would be de facto banishment from the MEPS office and military service.

And I really have a sneaking suspicion the military will not change, as you suggest.

EDIT:

There's a recruiter around here somewhere...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Smoke a fucking joint @ MEPS.              
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Ted Williams also flew for the USMC during WW2 , yipes he missed 4 years....

And Korea. They always forget that he left the game to fly in Korea as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not trying to change this to a Ted Williams thread but, as you can see from my screen name, I love the guy. Here is a man who at the time of his draft, the second time for Korea, was one of the top 3 hitters in the game.  They gave him the option of playing for the Navy team and go around drumming support to buy war bonds and such. Instead he chose to be a fighter pilot and actually saw combat. As a matter of fact, John Glenn actually chose him to be in his squadron and his wing man.  4 years in his prime, to serve his country.  Unfortunately, Pat Tillman aside, we don't have that caliber of person/professional athlete around anymore.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry MISTER Red Sox fan, it wont happen again....
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#38]
OK, who the hell opened the lid on 'DRAFT!' bullshit again?

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly my point, when your country needs you, possible SHTF, you are gonna get called even if your criminal record is longer than your arm. A lot of guys got out of Vietnam by enlisting, by enlisting you were assured to get a non-combat type job or even a combat unit in Germany or elsewhere. even if it meant a 3 or 4 year enlistment. The draftees were all "shake and bake"....Greetings! 90 Church Street for your medical, induction, enlistment oath, Fort Dix, and a commercial airplane ride for 12 months in Vietnam all before your 19th birthday. Now there were volunteers that went to Vietnam and I am not denigrating 1 veteran because all were my heroes, anyone who served in Vietnam is my hero......
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#40]
It would be great to bring in celebs!  Then they could buy equipment we need and not depend on 6month delays from the government!!!  Plus I want to see how tough Arnold really is in combat.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Wouldn't the celebrities just pretend to be Gay to get out of service?

It worked for Springsteen during Vietnam.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I turn 19 in July. Would be great if I could get drafted from september up until December, then from January up until may. Wouldn't have to go back to school.

Not to mention I get to play with 'fun' toys.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
OK, who the hell opened the lid on 'DRAFT!' bullshit again?

The typical bunch who wants the government out of their lives.  Unless of course, it's convienent to their agenda, then they're all for such actions.

Case in point:

- Your country's physical and economic security demands it, so you have been conscripted to fight

- Your country's physical and economic security demands it, so you have been conscripted to repair infastructure

Don't accept one simply because you think it's more noble.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It didn't help Elvis.

did elvis see combat?

Nope.  He was in before Viet Nam.  WAY before Nam.

He was stationed in Germany though.

And it was a different time, too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somehow I seriously doubt it would be an issue. hey might not get a security clearance having a history of drug use, but it has yet to stop anyone from getting in that I know of... unless they were just totally f*cked up at the recruiting office and are doing every drug out there...

As for fatties... Leonard "Gomer Pyle" Lawrence? Ok... fictional character but the point is the standards would mroe than likely drop for fatties. If the shit was that bad that a draft was needed they'd push their fat asses through knowing they'd probably just be bullet fodder and may take a few for the soldiers who were worth a shit.

Celebrities are definitely all talk when it comes to leaving... I seem to recall some asshats saying they would move to France if Bush were to be elected... twice. They're still here. So the "draft police" migth have to drag them in by their balls but I think they'd end up in boot at least.

Quoted:
Exactly my point, when your country needs you, possible SHTF, you are gonna get called even if your criminal record is longer than your arm.

Tell that one to my delinquent father...

Recruiter: "So let me get this straight. You're hear to volunteer to join... during Vietnam?"
Father: "Yeah."
Recruiter: "I can't believe this. People who don't want to join have to... and here you are, asking to join and I can't let you because of your record..."
or something to that effect...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not making anything personal. I hope you're not taking anything personal. I'm not a Red Sox fan. Not a sports fan really but I do respect Ted Williams. I can respect anyone who achieves great things in their chosen profession. As stated, Ted Williams left to serve his country twice during the prime of his Baseball career. He was a great ball player, a good Marine and a good American. In times of need, the Corps and his country came first. That's all I need to know about his character. He is a rare breed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may be right.

But in my world, participating in, and admitting to, ANY illegal activity would be de facto banishment from the MEPS office and military service.

And I really have a sneaking suspicion the military will not change, as you suggest.

EDIT:

There's a recruiter around here somewhere...

You should read up on Project 100,000.

I have met few, if any, people in the military who never broke the law. I damn near had to take a polygraph test to convince them I had never done drugs.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#48]
With the bullshit the leftist, liberal, anti-American, Anti-gun, hate spewing Hollywood types churn out, who would want to be in a foxhole with any of them?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not making anything personal. I hope you're not taking anything personal. I'm not a Red Sox fan. Not a sports fan really but I do respect Ted Williams. I can respect anyone who achieves great things in their chosen profession. As stated, Ted Williams left to serve his country twice during the prime of his Baseball career. He was a great ball player, a good Marine and a good American. In times of need, the Corps and his country came first. That's all I need to know about his character. He is a rare breed.

Only kidding! I was a Carl Yaz fan late 60's hated the red sox though....
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somehow I seriously doubt it would be an issue. hey might not get a security clearance having a history of drug use, but it has yet to stop anyone from getting in that I know of... unless they were just totally f*cked up at the recruiting office and are doing every drug out there...

As for fatties... Leonard "Gomer Pyle" Lawrence? Ok... fictional character but the point is the standards would mroe than likely drop for fatties. If the shit was that bad that a draft was needed they'd push their fat asses through knowing they'd probably just be bullet fodder and may take a few for the soldiers who were worth a shit.

Celebrities are definitely all talk when it comes to leaving... I seem to recall some asshats saying they would move to France if Bush were to be elected... twice. They're still here. So the "draft police" migth have to drag them in by their balls but I think they'd end up in boot at least.

Quoted:
Exactly my point, when your country needs you, possible SHTF, you are gonna get called even if your criminal record is longer than your arm.

Tell that one to my delinquent father...

Recruiter: "So let me get this straight. You're hear to volunteer to join... during Vietnam?"
Father: "Yeah."
Recruiter: "I can't believe this. People who don't want to join have to... and here you are, asking to join and I can't let you because of your record..."
or something to that effect...

I served from '72 to '76 and knew of hardened criminals who were told by the judge that either it was the military or the big house....times were very different back then....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top