BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2001 4:23:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
north american arms has a da .32, and just announced a da .380., baretta makes a small tomcat series.  all of these are small and affordable, easy to conceal.  the seacamp is nice, but it is expensive.  these should fit in a small fanny pak or cell phone holder.

naa also makes a .22 and .22 mag derringer, don't care for them myself, as it looks/feels easier to shoot yourself with it rather than a perp.  

http://www.naaminis.com/

Link Posted: 6/29/2001 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Lockandload---I am not an expert but I would say yes to the fanny pack and then I would look into one of those light Taurus revolvers with some knock down power.They are not too pricey and are simple for a novice to learn. Then have her take a course with an expert in how to use safely.Good luck and glad your thinking ahead. Its a big bad world--keep her safe.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife carries S&W 442 J-frame 38 spl. in a fannie pack. We got hers before S&W turned on us but if that was what I thought would protect her best I don't think that would me from another one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Kel-Tec P32. Very light, very small. Polymer grip frame, aluminum receiver(inside the grip frame) and steel barrel/slide. Can be found for about $200.00. Check them out on Kel-Tec's web site. I have one and keep it in a pocket. It weighs less than my key ring(seriously). It can be purchased with a belt clip. If you get one and want the clip order it that way, it is a bitch to install.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
A light weight alloy revolver from Taurus, or the dreaded S&W would be a good choice in .38 or even .357 magnum.

Kel Tec does make the lightest, smallest semiauto pistols on the market.

I carry a Kahr P-9 in 9mm.  It is DA only, no safety just pull the trigger.  It is light, reliable and I like it almost as much as my Colt Mustang Pocketlite that I retired.

Fanny pack for runners is definitely the way to go.  She can carry her cell phone, keys and the gun easily.
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I would look around for an older(pristine)Model 10 Smith and Wesson they are readily available, affordable,and the fit, finish and quality is superb.
Have a nice evening,  Rabon....
Link Posted: 6/29/2001 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#8]
What about a Glock 26 (mini 9mm)? After a few times at the range it would be as simple as a relolver for her.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I like my .380 PPK/S. I don't run, but I put it in a IWB holster, or a jacket if it is cool enough.
I am also considering a S&W .38 five shot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I have this love affair for the Vektor CP-1.  So sexy and sleek, your wife will not only fire it, she'll sleep with it.  Never shot one though, but I spotted it on Dark Angel as the guy in the wheelchairs weapon of choice.  He almost committed suicide in one of the episodes with that weapon but I'm sure the thought that had pulled him out of it was not to get brain matter on the nicest and purtiest weapon I know.

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd select a Ruger SP101 9mm loaded with 124gr+P JHPs in a fanny pack.

Revolver = point and shoot, no safeties, no jams. 9mm is more efficient than .38+P or .357 in short barrels, and full moon clips mean easy reloads with no bulky speedloaders to carry.

Take a self defense course together, or at least learn the law and practice frequently.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#14]
From personal experience, there is no good way to go running and carry a handgun.

Maybe it will be different for your wife, but I always noted that if I tried to run and carry in a fanny pack, the weapon always wound up doing one of two things:

1) Hitting me in the groin;
2) Hitting me in the rear.

Both were relatively painful. #1 was more painful. I have essentially given up on it and just run closer to my house, in lots of small circles. I do occasionally run into to bad folks on my run (including felons who I have had "unpleasant" encounters with in the past). It just gives me incentive to be in good enough shape so I can quickly get back to my house and the real firepower, if needed. If anyone has any practical suggestions (my limited carry options are a SIG P229 or Glock 30), I am open to advice.

I do frequently talk to a lady who runs several miles per day in the area. She carries lots of pepper spray and uses (by her estimate) about a can a week on dogs. I have never had dog problems on my daily runs and I think she is a little nuts, but she is always quite friendly.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#15]
go for the combat tupperware....it works when you need it!
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Lock and Load,

ARlady is right there in Indy, drop here a note and see if she and your wife can't get together.

ARlady has Taurus Ultra-lite in .38+P with a ported barrel.  It is a NICE little revolver.  I know ARlady will let her shoot it, see if she can learn to deal with the recoil.  It is very light, and has decent round.  Recoil due to porting is not light, but not aggresive either.

ARlady really likes this gun because it is so light.  I think if she is going to be running 7 miles weight will be a MAJOR factor as she doesn't want something that will be bouncing all over the place, or trying to pull her shorts down as she runs.

Just and added note, she (ARLADY) started out with a Glock 26 which is lite, but the Taurus is SOOO much lighter yet!  Only 5 shots though so get her a speed loader too! if you decide to go that route.

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are considering a semi auto, be damn sure she can pull the slide back and also pull the trigger if it is a DAO. I have been amazed at how weak some women's hands seem to be while trying to do this.

Link Posted: 6/30/2001 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Mole Eye brings up a good point,

ARlady and I had tried a Taurus PT-111, 9mm semi-auto that sucked!  She could rack the slide, and pull the trigger (barely) but could not shoot well with it because the trigger pull was well over 12 lbs!!!!!!!  So have her dry fire once whatever you decide to make sure she can work it, before you buy it.  Just speakin' from experience.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By uncle buck:
Kel-Tec P32. Very light, very small. Polymer grip frame, aluminum receiver(inside the grip frame) and steel barrel/slide. Can be found for about $200.00. Check them out on Kel-Tec's web site. I have one and keep it in a pocket. It weighs less than my key ring(seriously). It can be purchased with a belt clip. If you get one and want the clip order it that way, it is a bitch to install.
View Quote

The P32 is a very good choice for your wife's circumstances.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
700PSS
I like your taste in CCW.
View Quote

Thanks sluggo, I'm actually a 1911 or H&K USP.45C carryin' type, but when I carried a Beretta 92 the SP101 9mm was my backup. It is what I always recommend as an effective weapon for someone who isn't a "gun-lover" and wants a good CCW.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Though I’m a couch potato, a buddy of mine, like your wife, is a serious runner.   He had the same problems with a fanny pack that natez had.   My buddy solved the problem by carrying his 642 high center crossdraw in a high quality belly band.  He covers it with a tank-top about two sizes too large.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Lock & Load-
A lot will depend on how much time and effort your wife is willing to put into learning to use what she choses, along with experimenting with different carry choices.
My personal experience is that when I run (3 - 5 times a week), I carry a Kahr K9 in a Galco fanny pack, along with 1 spare mag, a light weight folder (Benchmade), a small Nokia cell phone and a small can of Aerko's Freeze +P and my creds. I clip my Walkman on the waist strap.
I carry it cinched up TIGHT in the small of my back.  I am right handed but use a left hand model so that I can access the gun from my back easier.  I am picking up a polymer frame P9 to replace the K9 (compliment it really) especially for the weight difference.  I have used this method for about 5 years and have been very pleased overall.
For your wife, I would suggest the same but carry a airweight/titanium Taurus 38 Spec revolver, loaded with standard velocity 125 gr Nyclads.  Low recoil and fairly consistent expansion from 2 inch barrels.  I would also suggest she carry a small cell phone in the large outside pocket.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#25]
cool cop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top