Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2005 6:09:53 PM EDT
My old hard drive failed and now it makes weird clicking and whirring noises when I try to access it on other computers, not to mention really slow access time. I have read that this means I should stop trying to access it, as continued efforts may be damaging the drive.

There's nothing critically life-threatening on that drive, but all my digital photos are there, and I'd really like to have them back. Should I:

1) Pay thousands of $$$ to get it professionally recovered
2) Risk trying to save what I can at home before the thing totally dies
3) other?

Any info appreciated, as always. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
put the harddrive in a static bag.   then put it in the freezer for a day or so then hook it back into the system and try to get your data back... worked several times for me!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
put the harddrive in a static bag.   then put it in the freezer for a day or so then hook it back into the system and try to get your data back... worked several times for me!

True, i've heard of this..  but, i've also had luck retrieving data from a drive simply by pulling it out of the case and holding it an angle that "to the touch" works..  
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]
oops. read it wrong
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]
This program might work for you, depending on how far gone the data is:
www.restorer2000.com

Here is another program that might help:
www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know how old your computer is, but do you have any spare drive bays, you may want to trudge down to your local computer store such as Fry's, CompUSA, and buy another hard drive, re-install your OS on the new drive, and copy all of your stuff off before the drive totally quites on you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]

One thing to watch for to prevent this is hard drive heat.

Many of the uber gig sized drives today get much hotter than the old drives. Replacing an old drive with a new one can just be setting it up for heat failure.

I've even had drives sitting outside the computer get way too hot because they didn't have a dedicated fan blowing on them!

It's a good idea to add a fan anytime you add or replace a hard drive with a faster/bigger model.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
bump for more comments
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#8]
how old is your system?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Just shy of 3 years
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#10]
CDBurners are at roughly $50 bucks now.
DVDBurners are about $100.
Thats a small price to pay to back up your
important data.
Every hard drive WILL die.
Its just a matter of time.
Also, don't get those humungus 300 gig drives
because all you will do is fill it up, and when you
realize you have 275 gigs of your stuff ready
to be backed up, you will find an excuse not to.
Get a smaller drive and back up regularly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This does work, but tends to be a one shot deal.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a photo album, turn the hard drive over, anmd shake all the pictures out of it till they all fall into the photo album.

No reason to thank me.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Get a photo album, turn the hard drive over, anmd shake all the pictures out of it till they all fall into the photo album.

No reason to thank me.

SGatr15

I think that I will try that the next time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top