User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 7:01:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Precision is a good habit.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It has demonstrated my ability to comprehend simple rules, practice them, and thusly conveyed intelligence and dedication. Most of all though, it's made my dribble easier to read.

The true case study is how has lack of grammar ever convinced anyone you're not a retard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It has demonstrated my ability to comprehend simple rules, practice them, and thusly conveyed intelligence and dedication. Most of all though, it's made my dribble easier to read.

The true case study is how has lack of grammar ever convinced anyone you're not a retard.

+1

my eyes naturally and automatically pick out something that is wrong.

helps in my situational awareness and precision.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I never paid her no mind. It was my Pappy taught me to shoot, not my Grammer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
h3llz yEaH!!!!1111

My gRamMaR iz teh r0ck  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Proper use of grammar, spelling and punctuation helps to make your communications with others more intelligible.  If you're going to do something, it behooves you to do it correctly.  This simple rule applies to everything you do, not just shooting and use of language.

You don't want to look like an idiot, do you?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I can argue with people without using words like fuck, shit, asshole, damn, etc. Plus, it allows me to argue my point more eloquently without using vulgarities that would make me sound uneducated.

ETA:+1 on the picking out things that are wrong
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The basics of grammar are precision and accuracy, leading to effective communication.
The basics of shooting are also precision and accuracy, leading to effective bullet placement.

Same thing, different context.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Hasn't helped my shooting at all.  I just prefer not to sound like a complete dumbass when I write about my shooting.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#10]
[radio commercial voice]

"People judge you on the words you use."
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I never paid her no mind. It was my Pappy taught me to shoot, not my Grammer.

A Big +1!!  

Patty
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It has demonstrated my ability to comprehend simple rules, practice them, and thusly conveyed intelligence and dedication. Most of all though, it's made my dribble drivel easier to read.

There fixed it for ya.

Well for one thing it keeps a-holes from doing like I just did.

Think of it as a first impression.  We may not be able to see someone's appearance or
mannerisms, but we damn sure can see the brain that is attached to those fingers a hell of a lot
better if we can undersand WTF is being stated.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#13]

How has the ability of proper grammar made you a better shooter or person for that matter?

Helps readers make sense of thread titles.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Fo' shizzle dawg, strait eight word up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Good grammar hasn't made my breath fresher or made my bowel movements any more regular, either, but that doesn't mean it's not important...

In order to use good grammar, you need to think about what you're going to say, before you say it.

Thinking about what you're going to say - before you say it - is usually a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Me fail English?  That's unpossible!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Me fail English?  That's unpossible!

I are very smartly.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, for starters, having well-honed grammar and usage skills meant that while my classmates in college were struggling to piece together 1,000 words in a row, I was banging out my essay quickly, cleanly and precisely. I routinely drew top grades for my writing without breaking a sweat. Thus, I had plenty of time to focus on the things that I was struggling with. In the end, I was able to complete my degree with much less hassle than those who had to struggle with the writing components.

In my professional life, I have found that my writing skills are far above those of my peers, and so have my employers. I have written technical proposals, reports and countless other documents for projects all over the world with great success. I have been able to carve out much of my engineering career by virtue of having exemplary communication skills. I have even had to rely on my writing abilities to save my engineering license.

All this because I paid attention in the third grade.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Good grammar hasn't made my breath fresher or made my bowel movements any more regular, either, but that doesn't mean it's not important...

In order to use good grammar, you need to think about what you're going to say, before you say it.

That's the essence of it, all kidding aside. Attention to grammar enforces a precision of thought that little else in ordinary life enforces.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Attention to grammar enforces a precision of thought that little else in ordinary life enforces.

Perhaps. There are plenty of excellent writers who are completely delusional. Noam Chomsky is one example.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Attention to grammar enforces a precision of thought that little else in ordinary life enforces.

Perhaps. There are plenty of excellent writers who are completely delusional. Noam Chomsky is one example.

Precision and delusion are not incompatible.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Precision and delusion are not incompatible.

I suppose that's true.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:55:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Sheeeet, man, that honkey mus' be messin' my old lady  
         got to be runnin' col' upsihd down his head!

Hey Holm, I can dig it!  You know he ain't gonna lay no
         mo' big rap upon you man!

I say hey sky, s'other say I won say I pray to J I get  
         the same ol' same ol.

Knock yourself a pro slick. Gray matter back got        
         perform' us' down I take TCBin, man'.

You know wha' they say: See a broad to get that bodiac  
         lay'er down an' smack 'em yack 'em.

Col' got to be! Yo!

Sheeeeeeet!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Although I have typos and errors as much as the next guy, and probably drop the F-Bomb quite a bit too much,  I'll say this:

On the internet, all you have are your words.

They define you.

They define what you are saying.

And, they define what you are seeking.

I'd say that purposefully paying zero attention to things such as spelling and grammar can be likened to walking around at work with your hair uncombed and your body reaking of sweat and B.O.   Sure, you can still accomplish what you're aiming to accomplish, but you've put yourself at a disadvantage from the get-go.

My $0.02, and all that.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

How has the ability of proper grammar made you a better shooter or person for that matter?  

_________________(SIC)
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Attention to detail has helped me in many things.

ETA:  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#28]
.....as a senior in HS, AP English helped hone my reflexes and improve my motocross skills. Without my senior thesis on Holden Caulfield, it is doubtful I would have ever cleared the dreaded double after the whoop section.

-HS
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#29]
most people think linguistically.  9 times out of 10, if a man can't speak clearly, he can't think clearly, especially in a crisis.  to speak clearly, one must follow consistent rules.  to form one's own internally consistent structure of grammar seems to be a waste of time, and is actually self-defeating when confronted with a social situation.

so if an adult doesn't use proper grammar, that neglect reveals quite a bit about them.

1.  never bothered to learn.
2.  does not realize that inaccuracy is a bad thing.
3.  overt social rebellion.
4.  never taught properly, and unaware of that fact.
5.  general laziness.

of those, i find that only #4 is excuseable.  then again, i often make grammar mistakes that an englishman would scoff at.  <===[good example that i intentionally didn't correct after initial error]

so i guess it's a matter of degree.

one way or the other, it is hard to ignore the fact that, in general, people who are careless in their speech are careless in many other things, as well.

[BTW, failure to capitalize on a web forum is an egregious example of #5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I think grammatical and linguistic knowledge and aptitude is not something that can be directly correlated to any skill in any other area.  It is a general indication of one's education and adherence to set conventions in communication.  

Think of the misguided youth who speak like morons, with their pants hanging down off of their asses.  Compare that to a well dressed young adult business man.  Which would you think is more intelligent?

In a written medium, such as a discussion forum like this, how we write is how we 'speak'.  We either speak like intelligent, educated adults, or we speak like moronic children.  

The only way grammar and spelling aptitude can be related to anything else would be in it's methodical thoroughness applied to other areas.  As we know, serious marksmen have to be meticulous and methodical, as these characteristics lend themselves to consistency.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I can argue with people without using words like fuck, shit, asshole, damn, etc. Plus, it allows me to argue my point more eloquently without using vulgarities that would make me sound uneducated.

ETA:+1 on the picking out things that are wrong

This is a subjective social enviromental sort of issues.  The use of vulgar language has no bearing on someone's intelligence.  Spend enough time around medical doctors, hardcore scientists, and so on, and you'll find that has nothing to do with it.

My grandmother used to hate the fact I cuss a lot and would always make the comment "It makes you sound uneducated".  Whatever.  Complete BS, but she was old and when she grew up things were different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top