Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 6:23:17 AM EDT
Alright finally got my gun cabinet and now I need some advice on which of 2 locations to put it.  The first is directly in and would be easy to access but also in plain sight of the closet door.  The other spot is tucked on the wall the same as the door.  The safe is not visible from all angles but it requires me to walk in and around and unlock the safe and may take more time.  So which one guys?  Both spots only have 1 stud(crappy building) that I can lag onto but I will also bolt it to the floor.  Here is a pic of the layout but the host will probably shit out so it might not show up.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:29:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming the door opens to the left?  Does spot 1 allow it to open enough for you to comfortably get access?  Can you get to stuff on the left and right sides of the safe okay?  If so, I'd say spot 1 will definitely leave more usable closet space, as long as access isn't a problem.  You'll probably have to do everything left-handed.  Will that be a problem?  What else is this closet being used for?

Looks like it did crap out.  I can host it for you.  (cropped and converted to jpeg to reduce the filesize).

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Its actually a double glass sliding door that has 2 halves and slides open either way.  The closet is in my bedroom and used for clothes/some storage.  Im not as much worried about space(either way will work) as I am about access and visibility.  Yes I have to open it with my left hand.  The only thing I worry about spot 1 is that my g/f will shitpile stuff in the opposite corner making it harder to get my ar out in an emergency.  I do like however that it is not near as visible both in case of burglary or in the event that my dad would look into the closet(he doesnt know I have a AR haha).  So spot 2 is very fast access for me but highly visible.  My apartment has a deadbolt to get in along with another lock and key on my bedroom door(locked only when I leave town) and then inside the closet will be a partially hidden cabinet with dual key entry.

Edited: thanks for hosting the pic
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]

I take a different tact. I consider anything
in my safe to be non-emergency items.
I keep enough readily available to take
care of most "oh shit" situations.

I figure that if I have time to open a
closet, find my key, open a safe, extract
weapon, and load it - it is not an "oh
shit" situation.

YMMV, expecially if you have kids.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess you are right.  I keep my AR under the bed but will be locking it up during the day/weekends when I leave.   So spot one is your pick also?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I take a different tact. I consider anything
in my safe to be non-emergency items.
I keep enough readily available to take
care of most "oh shit" situations.

I figure that if I have time to open a
closet, find my key, open a safe, extract
weapon, and load it - it is not an "oh
shit" situation.

YMMV, expecially if you have kids.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:18:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So spot one is your pick also?

Oops. Yep, since that adds an
additional bit of security via
obfuscation.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Stretch, I'd edit out that original diagram or at least crop it down.  It's almost 1 megabyte in size.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry i took the pic out.  Alright well thats what I will probably were I will put it(spot1).  Now another question.  It will be bolted to a stud high and low on one side.  I cant get another stud for the other side so will I be ok going strait into the floor(probably 2 or 4 lags)  Is there a cheap way to check for water or electrical in the floor? I have a basic studfinder but I dont wanna f-something up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Out of line-of-sight, whatever the inconvenience, is my advice.

As for hitting anything in the floor - building codes specific that pipe and electrical in walls or floors be set back from the surface. Unless you are using an very long drill bit, or ram it all the way in, you should have no trouble at all. Take a look at the floorplan layout, you out to be able to determine the likely plumbing runs as the stuff is almost always run least-distance, with adjoining bathrooms set with their plumbing fixtures set back-to-back to share a common thicker wall to accomodate the plumbing.

And just to minimize the hazard, use a small drill bit at first, and watch what kind of debris you are getting with it - you start seeing putty colored plastic or metal shavings, you know you've got a problem.

My own is mounted across the side/end of a closet, with a large 2-suiter and other goods hanging in front of it. A 'smash and grab' isn't even going to see it. And I deliberately faced it so the opening is to the rear, making any sort of pry-bar action much more difficult. It's lag-bolted into a stud and the slab.
I think I've made it as secure as a sheetmetal cabinet can be.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Ya I got to thinking about it and the water isnt even close to the bedroom so I think Im safe there.  As far as electrical goes I should probably be ok too.  For sure in the wall and the floor like you said should be ok also.  

I did like the spot 1 for that same reason that a prybar would be difficult to use becuase of the angled wall and the fact that they would have to walk in and turn around and then try and break in.  Like I said the bedroom is locked just like an exterior door so most "smash and grabbers" probably wouldnt even bother getting into the bedroom let alone the closet.  

Thanks for the input guys Im gonna go put er in right now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top