Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 10:47:29 AM EDT
Just something I was talking with two of my brothers about yesterday as we walked around the Rickreal gunshow for the hour I had free between two of my three jobs.

I'M working 6 days a week 10+ hrs a day at one job in a machine-shop (Non-Union) making crazy-stupid $$$ while using about 1/10th of my skills and running pilot-truck in my off hours on days I'm not needed at my ORNG unit getting them ready for a COMET inspection this year.

Both of my brothers at the 'show with me are also going balls-to-the-wall right now (One is the owner/operator of a commercial farm and the other is a Mental-Health professional who pilots and builds AK's on the side in his off-Hours).

We're nothin' special but, we're making a mint doin' the things we're good at and I was just wondering if anyone (Or everyone?) was experiencing the same thing right now?  I turn on the news and all I get is how "fucked" we (The US) are but, if THIS is "fucked", I'm lovin' it

Anyone else?

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I am poor but happy. I am only going up from here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Broke dick student with no money, so I don't really count, but what else is new?  Looking into the employment section in the paper reveals jobs for engineers with 5-10 years experience, and there are typically 3 times as many jobs for EEs (which I'm not) as ME's (which I am working on).  

In general, MI's economy is not doing so hot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Since my wife opened her own Law Practice last year...our income is 4-5 times more than the year before...tons'o money more than it used to be....
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently started a new job with a rapidly growing non-union drywall outfit.  Our regular hanging crews are so swamped that we have been temp-hiring 5 outside crews just to keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm making pretty good bank in a growth industry, doing something I really enjoy.

You win then

I enjoy my work too.  I bounce back and forth between the trades and Mental-health and it feels SOOO good to be back in a shop right now!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Makin' more every year!! My economy is booming. Ya'll keep sendin' your parents and grand-parents down here to FLA. to drive slow and spend their money!!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got promoted.... now I am the #2 man at my location!  MWHAHAHAHAH!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:02:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I do OK with the teaching.  Salary is enough to live off of, but not enough to buy anything here in the SF area. I do get seven weeks of paid vacation each year. My mom just passed so once we sell the house I'll be able to pay off my debts and have some savings.  I've been looking to move out of state but other states don't pay teachers squat.  I already make about the top of the pay range of school districts in Arizona.  I would probably take a 15k pay cut if I moved there.  

Eh, overall things are pretty good though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I have built 5 AR's since the end of the ban, and have net even felt as much as a pinch...

Im doing just fine. ( bout time)...
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I lost my job, so I'm in the toilet for the moment. I'm hunting for something relatively gainful, currently.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Cha-ching for now, but I'm an ant more than a grasshopper, so I'm socking it away cuz you never know when crappy times will hit.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well, I do OK with the teaching.  Salary is enough to live off of, but not enough to buy anything here in the SF area. I do get seven weeks of paid vacation each year. My mom just passed so once we sell the house I'll be able to pay off my debts and have some savings.  I've been looking to move out of state but other states don't pay teachers squat.  I already make about the top of the pay range of school districts in Arizona.  I would probably take a 15k pay cut if I moved there.  

Eh, overall things are pretty good though.

Sorry to hear about your Mom

Yeah, I don't know WHAT you have to make these days to afford to buy anything where you're at (?)  I lived in Santa Rosa for a couple of years on the way up from L.A. and housing prices there (In the late 70's) were peggin' the insane-meter then!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#15]
My business is doing really well.  I'm actually struggling to keep it small to accomodate my needs.  However my nephew who graduated a year ago with a degree in Electrical Engineering can't seem to get a job other than what he has at STAPLES.  He has no ambition though.

I think there's money to be made if you're will to go out and make it.  Good job Threadhead for going out there.  Don't work too hard though!

Patty
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You win then

There's always a price to be paid, of course. I'm out of the country, far from my wife and the house I'm paying for but not sleeping in and the truck I've paid off but not driven in months. I'm not complaining, mind you --just saying that it's not all rainbows and rivers of chocolate.

Yeah, there's a price for sure.  I get to sleep 4 1/2 hrs a day on a slow day (One job ends at 2:30AM and the next starts at 8AM with travel time inbetween) but my point was that an IDIOT like me could be as busy as I am in a "shitty" economy.  

The high-point of my day is when I get home at 3:15AM and my Sweetie/best-friend/Lady-That-I-Live-With is waiting-up for me before she goes to work a couple of hours later.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Could always be better................could be much worse.........
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Ours is almost in the shitter............Property Taxes went up $1600 bucks this year that meant an increase of $271 buck a month  for our Mortagage,Insurance and Taxes for the house Gas is $2.09 a gallon and Heating fuel is $2.10 a gallon. The Copany I work for don't do cost of living raises anymore.they increased my share of a shity Health insurance by $11 a week....so mine sucks shit..................I wish I could get rich of someother shmucks work!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My business is doing really well.  I'm actually struggling to keep it small to accomodate my needs.  However my nephew who graduated a year ago with a degree in Electrical Engineering can't seem to get a job other than what he has at STAPLES.  He has no ambition though.

I think there's money to be made if you're will to go out and make it.  Good job Threadhead for going out there.  Don't work too hard though!

Patty

OK, that cinches it  I'm gonna change my name to "Threadhead"!  Just kiddin' Patty', It happens alot with that name

Glad to hear things are going good with you!  I understand about trying to keep it "Manageable" (Your business). I could most likely benefit from a sense of perspective but I'm a moron who loads-up on work when it's available
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#21]
... Can't complain here either. There's an amazing economic real estate phenomenon going on now in central Arizona. For example, in just over 15 years, my home has appreciated about $200K and interest rates are very low. Many people are refinancing at these great rates and taking some equity for home improvements or toys. I guess we've been fortunate here. The bad thing is everyone and their cat is moving here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I got a raise, living pretty comfortably for a college student.  getting ready to buy my first house.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The high-point of my day is when I get home at 3:15AM and my Sweetie/best-friend/Lady-That-I-Live-With is waiting-up for me before she goes to work a couple of hours later.

I know exactly what you mean there. When I was making my bones in this new industry after being laid off when telecom hit the wall, I worked a many night shifts. I always tried to get home while my wife was still asleep and just spend a couple of minutes in the warm, nice-smelling world that she creates for me, before she had to get up and get going and I crashed out for a few hours.

One more thing I miss about being here: the smell of my wife's hair.

(SIGH!)  Yeah, "Cookie's" (My Sweetie's nick') hair smells wonderful.  It doesn't hurt at all that She's as pretty as She is either.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted: OK, that cinches it I'm gonna change my name to "Threadhead"!  Just kiddin' Patty', It happens alot with that name

Blah!  i'm sorry!!  I truly can not walk and chew bubblegum at the same time!  Now if you gentleman will excuse me - I need to go give the shampoo a sniff and see if I'm lacking that department!

Patty
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Unemployed and broke as a joke, with no end in sight. Things are doing great!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I spent 5 months unemployed last year.  I just passed my 6 month Anniv with the new job.  
Old job = 40 hours a week + OT, $40k  
New Job =  65 hours a week,- NO OT, $30k.  

I always thought things were supposed to improve... But I find myself working longer for less money.  I can't even get a part-time job because of all of the travel and odd hours.  The best thing I can say about the current job is that it beats the heck out of being unemployed..Barely.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a good job, great benefits, and need to stop spending money on gun stuff.  Overall I am doing good.  I don't understand what all the BS is about either.  Are things bad because someone says they are?

Consider this:

We are at a near all time low in unemployment

The average family income is going up every year

We have recovered from several national weather disasters and a large scale attach over the past 8 years faster than all the Mississippi flooding in the 80s.

The stock market was over inflated 10 years ago due to corporate scandals, the biggest shape up since the stock market crash in the early part of the 1900s, and it has not crashed.

We nearly avoided going to war with China over a downed airplane.

And we are still proping up a shitty airline industry, evern with the new disasterous 9-11 FAA policies.
Top Top