Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 8:50:13 AM EDT
I purchased a 2nd house about a year ago in illinois and while doing some demo in the basement I found an ithica featherlite 16ga shotgun.... There are no #s on it and the barrel is about 13 inches long...the stock is missing....and it was loaded when i found it covered in dust..can i take steps to make it legit or is it not worth it?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
1.  Lock and trash this post.

2.  Do what you will with it.

I believe in its current configuration this would qualify as an unregistered AOW, which is probably a felony.  Not your fault, but you will still take the fall for it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#2]
so what turn it over to the authorities?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Remove the barrel and dispose of it (barrel) if it's that short. If you want to, you can find parts to restore it or you could turn the whole works in to the police. Personally, I'd try to put it back together. Ithaca featherlights are a pleasure to shoot and even better to carry all day hunting. I have a 12ga that I've had for over 30 years. Still one of my favorites.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#5]
destroy the barrel ASAP.....or take it to a very secluded place to await your AOW paperwork.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't have to destroy the barrel, but you should remove it and replace it with one that is at least 18" long.  Get a stock too.  Shotguns suck if they don't have a stock.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Put a pistol grip on it and keep it for a throw down.

J/K  Do what you want with it.  Just don't tell anyone.  If you keep it people will berate you for a criminal.  If you turn it in people will call you a pussy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Destroy the barrel, parts are usually available at a reasonable price from Numrich

www.gunpartscorp.com
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Get rid of the barrel, keep the rest of it.

I'd have a gun smith check out the action, etc, before I loaded it and put it anywhere near my face though. Even with a new barrel.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Also be aware the gun will slamfire if you hold down the trigger and pump the slide. Most of the old Ithaca's were made that way. Scared the hell out of me the first time I did it.

New barrel and stock and it will be a sweet quail gun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I would just point out that that bad boy is not legal in IL under any circumstances...regardless of AOW status, a shotgun must not have a barrel of less than 18" in IL, period. It is felony "unlawful use of a weapon"
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Just get rid of the barrel. No need to toss a good receiver, the barrel is what will get you in trouble. As others pointed out, replacement barrels and stocks are available. I would not turn it in to the police, just too much room for error. i.e. you are walking in the police station, some cop coming or going notices the shottie, draws down on you, and accidentally or otherwise shoots you. If you are dead, it will not matter if you are cleared of any wrong doing after the fact. JMO  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Destroy the barrel, parts are usually available at a reasonable price from Numrich

www.gunpartscorp.com

Great site....thank you
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I’d make sure the SN is missing because the shotgun was made before 1968 and the manufacture didn’t put one on it to begin with.

If the SN was obliterated (esp. if the shotgun was made after 1968), you’ve got an issue.

Otherwise, just rebuilt it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top