Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 3:33:52 AM EDT
                MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(Oct. 29, 2004) -- "Oorah!"

Marines hear it each and every day. Ingrained into Marine minds since boot camp, this distinctly Marine call is barked back and forth in an almost endless stream of motivation. However, take a step back and ask that Marine, "where did 'Oorah' come from exactly?"

The answer is rarely the same. Countless stories abound regarding the mysterious origins of our beloved phrase.

However, unlike many Marine traditions, "Oorah" is rather new. As any veteran of the past 50 years would say, no Marine before 1950 could be found saying it. The true popularization of the word came in the '80s and '90s, when it fully emerged from the murky secrecy of Marine reconnaissance through drill instructors and by other means into use by Marines around the world.

"As far as I had been told, 'Oorah simply means 'let's kill,'" said Staff Sgt. Hugo Monroy, drill instructor for Platoon 1094, Delta Co., 1st RTBn. "As far as its origin, I really don't know. I always assumed it was simply a Marine tradition that was passed down from Marine to Marine."

The stories of "Oorah's" origins range from the logical to the absurd, including stories such as it being Turkish for kill, which is in fact öldürmek, or even simply a direct counter against the Army's "Hooah."

But where did the word really come from?

Marines and historians have determined the true origins of "Oorah" lie with recon Marines stationed in Korea in 1953. During this time, reconnaissance Marines in the 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Co., found themselves traveling via submarine to where they were needed. The memorable call of "dive, dive!" would be called on the intercom and a klaxon alarm, which made a very distinct "Aarugha" sound, would announce the descent of the sub below water.

The recon Marines, who heard this sound often, started using it as a motivational tool during runs and physical training. Over time, the word "Aarugha" came to be too much of a mouthful, and eventually molded itself into the familiar "Oorah," according to Maj. Gary Marte, a retired Marine.

Confirmation for this version of the story rests with the official Marine Corps Training Reference Manual on the history of Marine recon, titled "Aarugha," the manual gives credence on the origination of the phrase with reconnaissance Marines.
"Oorah" is just one of the things that separates Marines from any other branch of service, and has become a part of our lasting history.

"It is the traditions, the history, that makes Marines stand out," said Aulton Kohn, Parris Island Museum information receptionist. "The stories passed from drill instructor to recruit, and from Marine to Marine, they add the color to the Corps."
www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/0/eeaec65e52f6343a85256f3b00518e2d?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,Oorah
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:13:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Aarugha!!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:14:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I always heard that it came from a Turkish word meaning "to kill".
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I have heard, the one for the Air Force is "Aw man, the cable went out again"
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Well shit, i never knew that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
From what I have heard, the one for the Air Force is "Aw man, the cable went out again"

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:36:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Air Force is "uah!"
Army is "hooah!"

Hooah means thank you, roger, pass me a hand grenade, yes, etc...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#7]
bump for the night
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice to know.
Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yea, it used to suck when the cable went out in the dorm.  Had to drink beer without any TV.  Life sucked on those weekends.  Enough typing, my fingers hurt.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Thx, Top!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Always wondered what it was.  THanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thx, Top!

Any time Marine
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

No, it's "Whatever man."
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty cool.  Thanks for the trivia.  I'd always heard the Turkish explanation.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump for Sunday Night
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I always thought the Army one was "H.U.A."

Hurry
Up
Asshole
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#17]
oorah and hooah, could have the meaning anything and everything other than "no"
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#18]
OOH RAH !  

The Army's hooah is so gay especially when I hear them say it at the end of every sentence with not a bit of emotion behind it.

A Devil Dog can whisper "ooh rah" and it will be dripping with pride and emotion !

Semper Fidelis,

LB

PS  Thanks again L-R-T for the neat tidbit of Marine Corps history & lore
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I always thought the Army one was "H.U.A."

Hurry
Up
Asshole

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Damn, I cannot believe someone beat me to it....I was gonna say air conditioner!
(I got treated like a dainty little girl in uncle Sam's Flying Circus....)
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I was told by a Marine that Hooah, was Ou-rah with a dick in your mouth......
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Good to know.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I was told by a Marine that Hooah, was Ou-rah with a dick in your mouth......

too damn funny !

LB
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was at an Army school a few years ago, the seven other Marines and I would would sit in the back of the classroom and and tease the soldiers by repeating  "hoooooooooooahhhhhhhhhhhhh" in the lamest exagerations possbile after they (the soldiers) said it every five minutes.  We thought it was funny

One time, while we were briefing, this soldier (I think he was ANG from Guam) got fired in the middle of a brief...his response?  "Hooah, fired, Hooah."  It was all I could do not to bust a gut laughing!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#25]
hey t56, was your mos 6026?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
(I got treated like a dainty little girl in uncle Sam's Flying Circus....)

maybe thats cuz you are a dainty little girl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top