Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2005 3:06:45 PM EDT
Anyone hear about this? Pics of him at a party with a Nazi arm band on. Havent found a link yet.

Sorry if this is a dupe.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Harry Potter?  Yeah, hes probably gay too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#2]
England's Prince Harry incites controversy with Nazi costume

BY TOM HUNDLEY

Chicago Tribune

LONDON - (KRT) - To the delight of Britain's tabloids, Prince Harry, the youngest son of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana, is mastering the art of the royal faux pas.

Harry's latest misstep was attending a costume party in a Nazi uniform. Not a silly Nazi uniform - that might have been taken as a joke - but one that made him look rather handsome and Hitler Youthish.

The photo on the front page of the Sun captured the preening young royal clutching a drink and looking pleased with himself and his swastika armband. "Colonials and Natives" was the theme of the party, whose host was one of Britain's Olympic horsemen. "Harry the Nazi," screamed the Sun's headline.

The timing couldn't have been worse. Later this month the nations of Europe will mark the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp. Harry's grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, will hold a reception at St. James's Palace for death camp survivors.

Harry, 20, issued a contrite statement Wednesday evening. "It was a poor choice of costume, and I apologize," he said. But critics, in Britain and abroad, insist that fell short.

"A written apology is not enough," Dicky Arbiter, a former palace press spokesman, told British Broadcasting Corp. radio. "If he now wants to be considered an adult, he has got to behave like an adult, and he has got to apologize in person, through radio and television."

The opposition Conservative leader Michael Howard agreed.

"I think a lot of people will be disappointed to see that photograph and it will cause a lot of offense," said Howard, who is Jewish. "I have no doubt that his father and his family will have a good deal to say to him in private. I think it would be appropriate if we heard from him in person about how contrite he is."

Prime Minister Tony Blair, staying out of the fray, told BBC radio "it is best to leave" comment to Buckingham Palace.

The prince's apparent startling lack of historical awareness fits a growing pattern among young Britons. A recent poll by the BBC found that 60 percent of those under age 35 said they had never heard of Auschwitz.

Rabbi Marvin Hier, dean and founder of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles, suggested Harry visit the concentration camp.

"This was a shameful act displaying insensitivity for the victims," Hier said. "We strongly urge Price Harry to accompany the British delegation on Jan. 27 to the Auschwitz death camp. ... There he will see the results of the hated symbol he so foolishly and brazenly chose to wear."

Prince Charles was said to have been "appalled" by his son's choice of costume. But he couldn't have been surprised. The incident is the latest in a lengthening series of embarrassments Harry has brought upon himself.

In October, he got into a scuffle with a photographer outside a London nightclub. That followed claims from one of his teachers that he cheated on his exams at Eton. The prince was cleared.

The tabloid press also has been paying close attention to his romance with Chelsy Davy, the 19-year-old daughter of a Zimbabwean businessman with ties to that country's corrupt regime.

According to several reports in the press, the prince was asked about his girlfriend's African origins and replied that she was "not black or anything, you know."

There also have been allegations of drug use and excessive drinking.

A tendency toward Nazi gaffes seems to run in the House of Windsor. Prince Philip, Harry's grandfather, once greeted former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl with the Nazi honorific Reichskanzler.

Harry's choice of party get-up also gave the British papers an opportunity to run the famous 1937 picture of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor smiling broadly as they greeted Adolf Hitler. The duke, who was King Edward VIII before abdicating the throne in 1936 to marry an American divorcee, was widely scorned as a Nazi sympathizer.

---

© 2005, Chicago Tribune.

Visit the Chicago Tribune on the Internet at http://www.chicagotribune.com

Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Service

link
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
DUPE from this morning.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Am I the only one that doesn't give a rat's ass?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Not that I give a damn regardless
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Does he remember when they tried bombing his country back to the stone age?

"Gee, I guess I'll put on my Japanese pilot outfit and go running around as a kamikaze at a VFW meeting."  

Equally as intelligent.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont really care either but I just found it shocking that he could be so dumb.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Well the French did get one thing right… a guillotine solves the problem.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Nope.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Uh the Battle of Britain???

CRC
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#12]
who cares, i went as hitler one year for holloween, dont mean shit. IMO
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Royalty is more inbred than a KY family reunion.. don't see why this suprises anyone. He's always been the dipshit son, anyway.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Most EuroPEONS are.  Now its spread to royalty.  Time to nuke the Eurotards.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No, you are not.

But since we're on the subject, I don't see why everyone's making such a big deal out of this. The kid wore a costume to a costume party, it isn't like he actually joined the Nazi party.

But I heard that jackass O'Reily saying that the kid needs to get sent to Iraq to make ammends.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Does he remember when they tried bombing his country back to the stone age?

Harry IS German.  The Russian Royal Family was too, BTW.

From 'This Is London'

Linked by blood but twice divided by war, the royal family's relationship with Germany, its people and its troubled history has long been a sensitive one. The photograph of Prince Harry wearing a swastika has echoes of one particularly disturbing incident involving the family, one which seared itself into the British collective memory - that of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor meeting Adolf Hitler in 1937.

The ex-King Edward VIII and his wife were known sympathisers of the Nazis and their policies, a feeling shared by a large number of British aristocrats who admired the way Hitler was dealing with the Communists.

The Nazis regarded the duke, who had abdicated over his affair with divorced American Wallis Simpson, as a potential ally and a possible head of state for a subjugated Britain.

But his flirting with Hitler's regime threatened to undermine years of work by the royal family to distance themselves from their German roots.

The modern royal family was founded in 1840 when Queen Victoria married Albert of Saxe-Coburg, a Germany duchy, creating The House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Such was the ill-feeling towards all things German during the First World War that in 1917 Victoria's grandson King George V - an honorary Field Marshal in the German army - thought it prudent to renounce the German name and titles and adopt that of Windsor.

It was a masterful PR exercise, replacing the Teutonic surname with that of a quintessentially home counties town.

His son Edward VIII once declared: "There is not one drop of blood in my veins that is not German." Both he and George VI were bilingual in German and English.

Throughout the Twenties and Thirties, the royals were steadfastly opposed to conflict with their ancestral fatherland. Indeed George V's wife Queen Mary always maintained that Britain had "backed the wrong horse" in 1914.

His son's meeting with Hitler threatened irrevocably to undermine the royal family's support among their subjects.

It took the Queen Mother's steadfastness in the face of German bombs and her visit to the East End during the Blitz to restore public faith in the family.

The Windsors' links with Germany remained a touchy subject however. There was embarrassment in the Eighties when Princess Michael of Kent's father, Baron Gunther von Reibnitz, was exposed as a former Nazi party member and SS officer.

Less well known is the fact that one of Prince Philip's sisters, Sophie, was married to Christopher of Hesse-Cassel, an SS colonel who named his eldest son Karl Adolf in Hitler's honour. Indeed, all four of Philip's sisters married high-ranking Germans.

The prospect of the former Nazis and Nazi sympathisers attending his wedding to the Queen meant he was allowed to invite only two guests.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#17]
2 weeks before his grandma (the queen) is to meet with jewish leaders for the 60th aniversary of auschwitz being freed
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Dupe http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=313525
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top