Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2005 11:19:44 AM EDT
Can't they simply leave shit alone?  Is it too much to ask to come up with an ORGINAL idea just once in awhile?

Assholes!  

comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=7913

Tron Remake in the Works at Disney

Source: Variety
January 13, 2005

Disney has hired screenwriters Brian Klugman and Lee Sternthal to write a remake of Tron, the 1982 Steven Lisberger film about a computer programmer who gets sucked into the parallel world of a computer program, reports Variety.

Klugman and Sternthal, who just wrote the historical epic Warrior for Gavin O'Connor to direct and Icon to produce, feel that the world has caught up with Lisberger's original concept, making it ripe for redo.

"We are contemporizing it, taking these ideas that were ahead of the curve and applying them to the present, and we feel the film now has a chance to resonate with a young audience," said Klugman.

Sternthal said the new conceit is that the computer programmer gets trapped in a cyberworld, so that the film can utilize the Internet.

The writers take the job as they near an end to writing Black Cat, based on the 1940s Harvey comic book character of a stuntwoman who becomes a vigilante on the streets of Los Angeles. Michael Uslan produces the pic to be directed by Chuck Russell.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The PC game Tron that came out a bit back kicked ass.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#2]
When is the movie industry going to get some writers with imagination instead of just looking in their VHS collection to see what movie to destroy next?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I suppose there must be a profit in doing this.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, maybe they will actually make a good film this time instead of that piece of shit they released 23 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe they'll do a good job this time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I suppose there must be a profit in doing this.

Dennis Jenkins

The "profit" is that Copyright is the life of the author PLUS 70 YEARS.  They don't have to come up with any new ideas, they just keep recycing the old shit because they don't have to pay anyone for an original idea.

It works perfectly for them.  They simply wait until the next generation doesn't know about the "old version" of the film/tv series/whatever and do it over again.  Anyone in their 20's or younger goes "Gee, that's new" while the rest of the planet goes "AGNTSA!".
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Strange!

It’s generally good movies that are remade.

And even then, the remakes are invariably terrible.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Geez...Tron???

What the hell is next, Logan's Run?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently saw an ad for that "Assault on Precinct 13."  I believe I saw the original and while it was a good movie it was really cheaply made with LOW production values.

I admit my attention span slipped on this one but the remake does feature at least three big name actors.  Might totally suck though.

I will try to watch it though when it finally hits the movie channels.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Strange!

It’s generally good movies that are remade.

And even then, the remakes are invariably terrible.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I expect it will be worse.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I rented Tron a while back and tried watching it. Couldn't get into it at all. I'm not gunna spend my cash  to see a remake.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Tron + the "cyberworld" eh?

Guess they missed "Lawnmower Man"  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How?

The original was pretty lame.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Geez...Tron???

What the hell is next, Logan's Run?

I actually really liked both of those movies when they came out.  I'd like to see a remake of Logan's Run as well

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How?

The original was pretty lame.

They will find a way.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I looked it up on IMDB.  Looks like the new Assault on Precinct 13 does nothing to break the chain of really bad remakes.

Still might watch it though.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

I stole a quote from reviews.

It's hard to believe we've reached the sick point in society where the villains are now crooked cops instead of vicious street gangs. What's next remaking "Dirty Harry" with Harry Callahan the villain and the Scorpio killer the good guy? They've changed the villains from street gangs to crooked cops in order to pander to the hoods in the audience -- the very people you really have to worry about in everyday life. Hollywood knows no shame anymore.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#18]
In my book it would be a winner if it consisted of 90 minutes of Light-cycle chases and disc wars!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#19]
so now it's a remake?
year or so ago it was going to be a sequel
is coming soon a rumor site? like how IMDB has had a Quantum Leap movie listed for 4 years now and every year they change the release date to the following year
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
In my book it would be a winner if it consisted of 90 minutes of Light-cycle chases and disc wars!

Triva question (no Googling ) .

Who was the actor that was Bruce Boxleitner's opponent in the Disc Game?

(hint: it was a sign and portent of the future)
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No idea.  To tell you the truth, the only thing I got out of that movie was a desperate urge to corner my BMX bike on a dime.  Oh, and frisbee golf.  I'm a master at frisbee golf...
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The PC game Tron that came out a bit back kicked ass.

I played the original Tron arcade game back in the early '80s...pretty
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#23]
This guy will be psyched!

www.tronguy.net/TRONcostume/

(Freaky middle aged man in a "unitard" warning).

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#25]

The world can be a small place sometimes....

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#26]
awesome, didn't know londo was in it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top