BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/12/2005 3:31:42 PM EDT
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/story/265405p-227314c.html
Courageous move saves 11

WASHINGTON - With 11 paratroopers under her command, Army Airborne Capt. Kellie McCoy coolly directed fire and cranked out rounds from her M-4 carbine to take out two of the enemy in breaking a well-planned ambush of her convoy.

McCoy's courage and leadership near the rebel stronghold of Fallujah on Sept. 18, 2003, earned her the Bronze Star with combat "V" for valor.

"Capt. McCoy willingly and repeatedly took action to gather up her soldiers under enemy fire and direct fire at the enemy," the medal citation said. "Her actions inspired her men to accomplish the mission and saved the lives of her fellow soldiers."

"It was only my third day in the country," said McCoy, 29, of St. Louis, in recalling the firefight that was symbolic of the sweeping changes in the ways women serve in the military brought on by the nature of warfare in Iraq.

Under 1994 Pentagon rules on land combat, women in the military are barred from infantry, armor and most artillery front-line units.

But as commander of a headquarters company in the 307th Engineer Battalion of the elite 82nd Airborne Division, McCoy had command of 180 troops - three of them women.

The company's mission in support of designated combat units often puts it on the front lines of a war defined by the enemy's hit-and-run tactics.

McCoy, a jump-trained West Point graduate, said she was running a four-vehicle convoy - two Humvees and two 5-ton trucks - with 11 troops in her command when the ambush hit on the road from Fallujah to Ramadi.

"I was going to see the rest of my company" at other positions, McCoy said. The second vehicle in a convoy is considered the most vulnerable, and that was where she put her Humvee.  [added: not sure if this was a smart move for a CO!]

"The first IED [improvised explosive device] went off right in front of my vehicle," McCoy said, and a second roadside bomb hit at the rear in what she called a "daisy-chain IED."

The enemy then swarmed from both sides of the road, raking the convoy with rifle fire and rocket-propelled grenades to disable the three other vehicles, McCoy said.

She ran her Humvee up and down the road, gathering up her troops and directing well-aimed fire to repel the attack.
The roof gunner on her Humvee fired 500 rounds and McCoy fired off several clips from her carbine. "I believe I hit two [of the enemy]," McCoy said, "but I don't know how many we killed."

McCoy somehow jammed all 11 paratroopers into her Humvee and drove to Ramadi, with three of her troops suffering minor injuries.

"We were probably quite a sight coming back through Ramadi," McCoy said with a laugh about her overloaded vehicle.
McCoy spoke by phone from Fort Bragg, N.C., where she has been reassigned to the 18th Airborne Corps and will leave next month for a second tour in Iraq as a staff aide to Lt. Gen. John Vines, the Corps commander.

"Looking forward to it," McCoy said.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I find it amazing how easily officers get medals
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Good job Captain!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

They don't always get them with "ease".  Quite often they really are earned.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgive my ignorance, but what did she do that was so spectacular?

Isn't it an officer's job to direct their troops fire in combat?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't always get them with "ease".  Quite often sometimes they really are earned.

fixed

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]
goddamn i can't wait to join the Marines.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Might as well give her a Purple Heart for her hatchet wound ...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at all of the Monday morning quarterbacks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

She's got bigger balls then you do, jackass .
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Medal or not, she's over there in Iraq doing it, and apparently doing it with competance.

It's more than a lot of people here can say, The Neutral Observer included.

Without knowing the details from an official, accurate source, The Neutral Observer won't comment on how deserving she was of the medal.

EDIT:

At the least, she is deserving of respect.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
pics?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

Anywho, this is nothing bad. The more leaders we have over there that don't freeze up, and the more we have over there that kill more of the enemy, the better.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't always get them with "ease".  Quite often they really are earned.

They are the ones who are acountable for the actions of their command when someone fucks up. Are they not accountable when the unit performs admirably?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Medal or not, she's over there in Iraq doing it, and apparently doing it with competance.

It's more than a lot of people here can say, The Neutral Observer included.

Without knowing the details from an official, accurate source, The Neutral Observer won't comment on how deserving she was of the medal.

EDIT:

At the least, she is deserving of respect.

I agree with, the general news media does not accurately report things. If something doesn't fit, they invent something to make it fit. Until I read the AARs, I withhold my judgement on the merits whether she deserves a medal or not.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Look at all of the Monday morning quarterbacks.

no kidding, show some damned respect to the people serving our country
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The insurgents use hatchets?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#18]
This was sent to me by one of my classmates father's who is in Iraq helping some of the higher ups with Urban Combat as a consultant.   He has most likely seen more combat than all of us together.  His dad did a AAR on this action and said it was the real deal.  I do not know more than that.   I can post some other emails that wer copied to me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#19]
If she did that, she has my respect
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Why a Capt in charge of a section sized unit?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Maybe the SSG was busy that day.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I thought the same thing.  Should have been a Sergeant leading a unit of that size.  BUT, maybe the Captain had pressing business to attend to and just as a matter of chance found herself to be the senior Soldier there, so by default she is in charge.  There probably was a NCO or SNCO in the group, but she was there too...

Bottom line is...  I wasn't there.  I'm not going to second guess the situation or the results.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

"I was going to see the rest of my company" at other positions, McCoy said. The second vehicle in a convoy is considered the most vulnerable, and that was where she put her Humvee...

Reading is fundamental, and you've got enough common sense/experience to be able to fill in the rest...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

"I was going to see the rest of my company" at other positions, McCoy said. The second vehicle in a convoy is considered the most vulnerable, and that was where she put her Humvee. [added: not sure if this was a smart move for a CO!]

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may have taken me wrong ------

The job of any soldier is to kill the enemy

To pass out medals for it is --------------- ludicrous.

She may have deserved it ----------- but I doubt it considering the Lynch thing.

Seems like it is all PR bullshit -----------

or am I wrong ???
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

i just spewed beer all over my monitor!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Well said you turds.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Not bashing anyone, but.......

If several is defined as 3 or more, and if she "fired off several clips from her carbine", how many rounds is that?  If a clip is 10 rounds then she fired maybe a full 30 round magazine and a little bit more then.  Right?  

Well, OK, maybe I'm bashing the reporter.  But not the CO.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My company awarded four Bronze medal with V device to the four platoon leaders of my platoon (all male and all 2LTs) and they didn't do shit.  Myself and another guy fired on some Iraqis in the process of ambushing us with two MK-19s and killed three of them (all found with weapons strapped to their back) and I got a Army Comm Medal, which most people got (some for cooking meals on time)

It's not the gender that got her that medal, it's the rank.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My company awarded four Bronze medal with V device to the four platoon leaders of my platoon (all male and all 2LTs) and they didn't do shit.  Myself and another guy fired on some Iraqis in the process of ambushing us with two MK-19s and killed three of them (all found with weapons strapped to their back) and I got a Army Comm Medal, which most people got (some for cooking meals on time)

Thank you for making my point
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My company awarded four Bronze medal with V device to the four platoon leaders of my platoon (all male and all 2LTs) and they didn't do shit. Myself and another guy fired on some Iraqis in the process of ambushing us with two MK-19s and killed three of them (all found with weapons strapped to their back) and I got a Army Comm Medal, which most people got (some for cooking meals on time)

I'm sure your Commander got a Silver Star for those bad guys who were killed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
or am I wrong?

yes

Jeff Cooper would agree with me I think .............

The medal stuff with her is most likely ------------ public relations

and it does a disservice to those that have earned them righteously ...

It is for them I feel for...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#34]
The fact that this topic --------- is so restrained and has not been responded to by many  , makes my point also --- the military has cheapened the medals they pass out and it is a damned shame

You that have earned them have my eternal respect. Thank you for your service.

Edit: guardian855
Sir, if you ever are in in Ohio it would be my privilege to by you some beers .
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The fact that this topic --------- is so restrained and has not been responded to by many  , makes my point also --- the military has cheapened the medals they pass out and it is a damned shame

cyanide, you are a moron that is unfit to carry that Captains sports bra let alone foist your brainless opinion about what you FEEL in regard to the awarding of military decorations.  Neither you OR Jeff Cooper was there, and I doubt the Colonel needs you running your cocksucker on his behalf.  Just for the record, I never served one second for shit sticks like you, but I did serve 15 years, 4 months, and 1 day in spite of your kind.

Have a nice day, jackass

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#36]
My buddy in the 101st said he knew one girl soldier who killed ore Iraqis in one convoy run than he got in the whole war.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

cyanide, you are a moron that is unfit to carry that Captains sports bra let alone foist your brainless opinion about what you FEEL in regard to the awarding of military decorations.  Neither you OR Jeff Cooper was there, and I doubt the Colonel needs you running your cocksucker on his behalf.  Just for the record, I never served one second for shit sticks like you, but I did serve 15 years, 4 months, and 1 day in spite of your kind.

Have a nice day, jackass

You say much --------- and do not address the issue at hand --

whats that make you ???   A coward ........ or a party flunky ???

Take down that avatar of yours  ----------- shitstick...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may have taken me wrong ------

The job of any soldier is to kill the enemy

To pass out medals for it is --------------- ludicrous.

She may have deserved it ----------- but I doubt it considering the Lynch thing.

Seems like it is all PR bullshit -----------

or am I wrong ???

Yes.  And you're an idiot.
BTW, that's your parents fault for breeding.  You can't blame Bush.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#39]

whats that make you ??? A coward ........ or a party flunky ???

No, it makes him right.  All of you that go out of your way to question an award without having been there and seen the deeds are typical jealous turds.  You're jealous it was someone else and not you, you're jealous it was a woman in this case, and you try to alleviate your feelings of inadequacy by being internet haters.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

whats that make you ??? A coward ........ or a party flunky ???

No, it makes him right.  All of you that go out of your way to question an award without having been there and seen the deeds are typical jealous turds.  You're jealous it was someone else and not you, you're jealous it was a a woman in this case, and you try to alleviate your feelings of inadequacy by being internet haters.  

Well I was right with Lynch ------ so what does that tell you ???
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Take down that avatar of yours ----------- shitstick...

What issue have I NOT addressed?  I believe I have made it very clear that you are a scum sucking troll, which is the ONLY issue I see.  Coward?  Hopefully you will be able to write a first hand eyewitness report about that one day soon.  Party flunky?  I do believe I'll need to borrow your super secret troll decoder ring in order to decypher that cryptic reference.

These colors NEVER run.  Come and take 'em down!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

That's pretty offensive.

Though not surprising in the least.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't always get them with "ease".  Quite often sometimes they really are earned.

fixed

Company 1 was establishing night ambush sites when the command group was attacked by a reinforced North Vietnamese company supported by heavy automatic weapons and mortar fire. 2d Lt. Bobo immediately organized a hasty defense and moved from position to position encouraging the outnumbered marines despite the murderous enemy fire. Recovering a rocket launcher from among the friendly casualties, he organized a new launcher team and directed its fire into the enemy machinegun positions. When an exploding enemy mortar round severed 2d Lt. Bobo's right leg below the knee, he refused to be evacuated and insisted upon being placed in a firing position to cover the movement of the command group to a better location. With a web belt around his leg serving as a tourniquet and with his leg jammed into the dirt to curtain the bleeding, he remained in this position and delivered devastating fire into the ranks of the enemy attempting to overrun the marines. 2d Lt. Bobo was mortally wounded while firing his weapon into the main point of the enemy attack but his valiant spirit inspired his men to heroic efforts, and his tenacious stand enabled the command group to gain a protective position where it repulsed the enemy onslaught. 2d Lt. Bobo's superb leadership, dauntless courage, and bold initiative reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I was going to see the rest of my company" at other positions, McCoy said. The second vehicle in a convoy is considered the most vulnerable, and that was where she put her Humvee...

Reading is fundamental, and you've got enough common sense/experience to be able to fill in the rest...

My LCpls refer to "their company", also.
Doesn't make them the CO.

This does, though:

But as commander of a headquarters company in the 307th Engineer Battalion of the elite 82nd Airborne Division, McCoy had command of 180 troops - three of them women.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What issue have I NOT addressed?  I believe I have made it very clear that you are a scum sucking troll, which is the ONLY issue I see.  Coward?  Hopefully you will be able to write a first hand eyewitness report about that one day soon.  Party flunky?  I do believe I'll need to borrow your super secret troll decoder ring in order to decypher that cryptic reference.

Well--- since the cuffs are off asshole -------

I will say this numbnuts  --------

I have seen people earn their ribbons , and it makes me want to puke when I see the military play the political game with them... and hand them out like cracker jack  prizes  .

You can kiss my ass, I love my country and have more respect than those that seem to be in charge of things now a days, all for the sake of political appearances.

So  bugger off . Forum Rambo ..............
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
[  I do believe I'll need to borrow your super secret troll decoder ring in order to decypher that cryptic reference.]

Forty-nine cents, a self addressed stamped envelope and two specially marked labels from Ovaltine.

(They used to have Little Orphan Annie rings, but ran out)
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Not everyone has an MOS of 11B. Some drive trucks and deliver supplies, some maintain equipment, some cook, some predict weather, some rig communications, some recruit, some run computer networks, some crew helos, some crew armor/AFVs and others do laundry.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Who are you calling "Forum Rambo?"
That's only slightly hypocritical.  Why don't you go perform some real service for our country instead of sitting behind your computer attacking good soldiers for doing their job and getting recognized.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top