Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 3:27:33 PM EDT
How in the hell do those rodeo guys do what they do month after month .

I mean one flip off a bull would cripple me forever.

Whats the secret ???

Really ?

Any rodeo guys/gals here ???

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
alchohol
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Young = dumb.

They think that they are healed when they stop hurting.  We silverbacks know that every serious injury comes back to visit you in your later years, even if your kids won't come see you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Young = dumb.

They think that they are healed when they stop hurting.  We silverbacks know that every serious injury comes back to visit you in your later years, even if your kids won't come see you.

Quoted:
alchohol

Both true.  But that said.  any real cowboy, is a TOUGH mother fucker.  Not the dumbasses that just wear a cowboy hat, the real ones.  Around here, you just stay away from their type if youre looking for a fight.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't doubt they are tough.  But brutalizing your body time and time again so you can be practically crippled later on is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Like I was, they're bullet proof.
M
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't doubt they are tough.  But brutalizing your body time and time again so you can be practically crippled later on is a bad idea.

I never said they were smart, just that they were tough
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to go to the local rodeo, they always had an ambulance parked behind the stands.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
they really like riding the bulls
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it  all fake like WWW wrestling ???
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

HAHA, definitely not fake, Ive been to many rodeos.  What you see on TV is all real.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Bull riders get alot of good looking women.  ALOT.

Pie heals all wounds.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL........... city folk.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Rehearsal with a 3000 lb bull is a bitch.  They don't work well with others.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

LMFAO.

That was stupid.

Please dont say stupid things like that again.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been on the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo as a committeeman for about 6 years and I know a couple Rodeo cowboys and met some famous ones....some have very little sense, and some have even less.  Nothing fake about it.  I would catagorize it along the lines of extreme sports.  BTW not all of them come back after a bad fall or bad ride...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've been on the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo as a committeeman for about 6 years and I know a couple Rodeo cowboys and met some famous ones....some have very little sense, and some have even less.  Nothing fake about it.  I would catagorize it along the lines of extreme sports.  BTW not all of them come back after a bad fall or bad ride...

damn tough men ........... JMO
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Bull riders get alot of good looking women.  ALOT.

Pie heals all wounds.

Very subjective observation. Cowgirls give me a softon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

People like you really kill me... You really aren't that dumb are you???

Wait everyone Cyanide has finnaly blown the lid of the PBR.  Those aren't REAL bulls.. Its actually two guys in bull suit.   I can't believe he figured it out!

I pray you don't have children.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#21]
You really aren't that dumb are you???

?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Pride and "try" keep those guys going.....I never rode bulls (my head is more than a hat rack) but before my brains grew in I rode some bareback horses and a few saddle broncs to pay for my roping habit (I'm a pretty sorry roper).

Next time you watch a rodeo, keep this in mind.......In each event, the top 20 guys make a pretty good living, the next 20 will break even, and everybody else is lookin' for side jobs. All that money you see them win doesn't necessarily go into their pockets, they've got entry fees to pay and travel expenses to cover.

Not to mention medical bills (it ain't if, it's when)......If they don't ride, they don't get paid.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I would assume it is for the love of the sport and the excitement as with any other dangerous activity people do over and over again.  (Not a participant but have attended them (rodeo).  I must say the excitement is contagious.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I used to go to the local rodeo, they always had an ambulance parked behind the stands.

PRCA regs. say you can't start a rodeo without an ambulance on site
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I dunno...Depends?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

It was a good question...answer it.

Sometimes I ask a question to  -------- illicit a response, you tell me ???
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
They do it for the love of the sport, the love of the bull and the love of Pie.

I admire them and PBR is one of the few televised sporting events which I'll actually watch....

D.
AZEX

PS, Cyanide, please don't ever breed. Thank You.

Those cowboys also have some top notch trainers too (think NFL quality).  If you would see them before or right after a ride, you would see that they use quite a bit of tape to hold themselves together.  

You really need to work with some bulls to appreciate their power.  Out in a field, they are fairly tame.  Round them up, truck them a ways, put them in a chute, tie a hard piece of rope around their belly, just tight enough to make them mean.  Put some young dumb fool on their back and then turn them out.  It is a wreck about to happen.  

I live in a little town outside of Houston.  We get the second string PBR at our local arena about twice a year.  At this arena, you can get close enough to really see the action.  It ain't fake.  Do you know what sound a guys head makes when it makes contact with a bull?  T...    whoops, I can't say that.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
alchohol

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:Those cowboys also have some top notch trainers too (think NFL quality).  If you would see them before or right after a ride, you would see that they use quite a bit of tape to hold themselves together.  

You really need to work with some bulls to appreciate their power.  Out in a field, they are fairly tame.  Round them up, truck them a ways, put them in a chute, tie a hard piece of rope around their belly, just tight enough to make them mean.  Put some young dumb fool on their back and then turn them out.  It is a wreck about to happen.  

I live in a little town outside of Houston.  We get the second string PBR at our local arena about twice a year.  At this arena, you can get close enough to really see the action.  It ain't fake.  Do you know what sound a guys head makes when it makes contact with a bull?  T...    whoops, I can't say that.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#31]
There is no reason that a cowboy, executing his normal work on a ranch as a cowboy, needs to ride a bull. Horses, breaking horses, bronco, yes sure. Thats part of the job. But not riding bulls.

These guys are just trying to "out macho" each other.

I like to watch it tho. Always waiting for the cowboy to get thrown with his hand caught in the rope. [love that part]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They do it for the love of the sport, the love of the bull and the love of Pie.

I admire them and PBR is one of the few televised sporting events which I'll actually watch....

D.
AZEX

PS, Cyanide, please don't ever breed. Thank You.

Those cowboys also have some top notch trainers too (think NFL quality).  If you would see them before or right after a ride, you would see that they use quite a bit of tape to hold themselves together.  

\
Damn -- They are more or less outlawed here in in OHIO -- made so tame, it ain't worth going to.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
There is no reason that a cowboy, executing his normal work on a ranch as a cowboy, needs to ride a bull. Horses, breaking horses, bronco, yes sure. Thats part of the job. But not riding bulls.

I like to watch it tho. Always waiting for the cowboy to get thrown with his hand caught in the rope. [love that part]

True, very true but like every other event in rodeo (minus can chasin'...I guess the girls wanna play to) it has it's roots in cowboy tradition. When herds were driven North to the railheads the crew would have some idle time after the herd was delivered, so they'd catch steers and ride them in informal competitions. It's evolved from there into what you see today.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, very true but like every other event in rodeo (minus can chasin'...I guess the girls wanna play to) it has it's roots in cowboy tradition. When herds were driven North to the railheads the crew would have some idle time after the herd was delivered, so they'd catch steers and ride them in informal competitions. It's evolved from there into what you see today.

You ever notice the really good bullriders are little bitty guys.  I guess that physics stuff really does work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#35]
most but not all, there's a few 6 footers goin' down the road but they're the minority
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I've known a couple rodeo boys, a guy in SF, and an ultimate fighter, and while the ultimate fighter and SF guy could woop the bull riders ass, he could sure as hell take it, and then get back up and take it again.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I know a guy who rides bulls. They aren't the smartest people in the world but they are some crazy and tough sob's. Fearless too, how to you intimidate a guy that takes a 2000lbs bull, ties a rope around it's balls then jumps on it's back for fun?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#38]
A "western" friend of mine says that bull riding is becoming wussified with the pseudo-cowboys wearing vests. I wonder what's gonna come next.

It's sad how sports, as time goes on, eventually become wussified. Heck, doesn't NASCAR use restrictor plates?

A lot of events are enacting some rediculous rules. I remember a while back when some idiot protestors were against two piece bathing suits in beauty pageants. I'm telling you, this whole country is turning out some shitty rules.

Racing events are trying to restric speed? Beauty pageants are trying to restrict women from showing off their bodies? Bull riding events trying to take out the danger of the sport? Might as well just give bull riders the option of wearing NFL attire when they get on the BULL.

Where is all this LIBERAL mentality coming from?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?

It was a good question...answer it.

The original question was good.. But comparing riding a bull to the WWF wrestling.. Give me a break.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:55:01 AM EDT
[#40]
It's a cowboy thing ... if you have to ask, you'll never understand.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top