Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 9:22:56 AM EDT
Yellow area, south side behind the rock-star seating, close enough to see & hear without the President being too much of an ant.  

Plan on taking the whole family to the event, and may even take the Wandering Duck if I can figure out how to do it (no bags or backpacks allowed).

Here's my concern.  This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see an inaugauration in person; something I think my two boys will really appreciate later (especially considering the President being sworn in  ). But I've been hearing rumors and seeing newspaper articles about all the dirtbags who are planning on rioting and protesting.  Do I want to subject my boys and my wife to that, and risk the potential for rioting?  What would you do?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Go, don't let scum sucking shitheads threaten that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I will be there, we have black tickets.

ETA:  Are you going to the Ball?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Well just remember you have fellow arfcomer's providing security. I'll be at the blue gate part of the rapid response team
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well just remember you have fellow arfcomer's providing security. I'll be at the blue gate part of the rapid response team

I feel better already.  Make sure to wave!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to admit that I agree with the left a little in that it's sad to have a multi-million dollar show that could be much less flashy, especially when that money could be used elsewhere.  Especially, too, in a time of war, as Bush himslef calls it.  I still think the inauguration itself is important but not a gaudy show.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll be happily home that day and out of DC.  I spend enough time downtown.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Black tickets?  Are those like backstage passes, because the sheet I got saying what entrance to go into doesn't even LIST black tickets.

No, we're staying home for the ball.  We're going to go to the swearing in and the parade then head home.

JMboom--thanks!  What will the secret ARFCOM password be, so when the rioting starts you won't shoot me or mine?  SIHPAPP?  I like pie?  SGTAR15 plays with dolls?  What would you prefer?  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll be in the second car behind the presidential limo, in full blackhawk tactical gear and an MP5 with plenty of spare mags.. so dont worry about the wife and kid, I'll watch your six, those liberals are no match for a few rounds of 9mm+P
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Black tickets?  Are those like backstage passes, because the sheet I got saying what entrance to go into doesn't even LIST black tickets.

No, we're staying home for the ball.  We're going to go to the swearing in and the parade then head home.

JMboom--thanks!  What will the secret ARFCOM password be, so when the rioting starts you won't shoot me or mine?  SIHPAPP?  I like pie?  SGTAR15 plays with dolls?  What would you prefer?  

Sometimes I wonder whether Helio is really Karl Rove or Dick Cheney.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Lima, do you know of anywhere that I might be able to get my hands on some tickets for me and my wife? I have no idea how to go about getting them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#12]

I'll be happily home that day and out of DC. I spend enough time downtown.

Me too. It's the sad part of working in the Distirct - I do a 1.5hr commute downtown everyday and the last thing I want to do on a day off is go to D.C.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey Lima, do you know of anywhere that I might be able to get my hands on some tickets for me and my wife? I have no idea how to go about getting them.

Call your congresscritter NOW.  They will fax you a form; you fill it out & send it back, then they give you the tickets.  Each congresscritter got 400.  Any not handed out by the 18th will be returned for other folks to use.  You have to pick up the tickets IN PERSON at their office.

My representative is from a small district in WA state, so I didn't have any problems getting them, but they're going fast.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call your congresscritter NOW.  They will fax you a form; you fill it out & send it back, then they give you the tickets.  Each congresscritter got 400.  Any not handed out by the 18th will be returned for other folks to use.  You have to pick up the tickets IN PERSON at their office.

My representative is from a small district in WA state, so I didn't have any problems getting them, but they're going fast.

Just left a message, hopefully I can get some
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just left a message, hopefully I can get some

one other thing--you need to call their DC office, not their state offices.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'll be happily home that day and out of DC.  I spend enough time downtown.  

there was some talk about my boss going...guess who would have had to drive him?  Well, it looks like the wont' be back from his trip in time, and at this point you coldn't PAY me to go into DC that day...not because I'm worried that anything's gonna happen, but because I hate traffic jams.  There's all kinds of street closures apparently...it's gonna be a mess.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll be there, waiting to see what tickets the wife got us.  Going to at least two of the balls so far.  Denim and Diamonds and then one of the bloody formal ones.  Wife works for NAM and set up a lot of this stuff.  At least we are getting a hotel room for the three days of madness.  Commuting is gonna start being a real pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#18]
For the record, I hate you guys.  I would love to go but have to work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to the Candlelight Dinner at the Hilton and the Constitution Ball -- who else is going?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I sincerely hope that you folks attending have a great time. And I mean that.

That having been said, I think it is disgusting the amount of money being spent on this event. The corporate pandering is way over the top. It is the inauguration of the President of the United States of America, not a coronation. IMHO, the event should be staid and somber to reflect the current situation we as a nation are facing. We are at war. It should also reflect the grave import of the event, a reminder of that which is actually taking place.

Our current national financial situtaion alone should have reduced the expenditures on this Roman Circus. The fed.gov isn't giving figures on what this is costing us.

And the City of Washington D.C. is getting screwed with the bill.

Yes, I voted for W.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#21]
if nothing else the protestors will be another learning oportunity for your kids
"see there kids, that's why democrats are idiots"
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I worked Clinton's first Inauguration (sound engineer). Didn't vote for the goober, but it was still one hell of a party. I got to see Al Gore trip and fall in a hallway.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What gun was used in the movie heat?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Plan on taking the whole family to the event, and may even take the Wandering Duck if I can figure out how to do it (no bags or backpacks allowed).

umm just carry it in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

umm just carry it in.

Not quite that simple.

We want to arrive sometime around 7am.  Gates to the section open at 9.  Inauguration at 1130.  Parade at 2 (I think).  Means I or one of my family members is carrying an 18" tall hard to hold floppy duck around all day.  Plus, we're in the grass, meaning if we drop it it gets dirty, etc.  Would rather just stuff it in a backpack, but that's verboten, so need to see if there's an alternative.  Looking at nothing more sophisticated as an extra-large plastic grocery bag, but might be other options.

Plus, there's the weather to consider.  If it's supposed to rain, I'm not going to bother; that duck would weigh 20 pounds if it got wet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top