Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2005 6:39:39 PM EDT

anyway, it started working again after i unplugged it for awhile and plugged it back in.

I have a Sears refigerator and freezer.  The compressor stopped working like it did once in the past.  

I used a small fan to cool the compressor thinking it got too hot when we were unloading groceries, but now no cold air. the fan in the back doenst come on nor the compressor?

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated as we just bought groceries....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#1]
paging Dr. Fridge
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
paging Dr. Fridge

tag by mrs for him...he is busy in his "office"  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
anyway, it started working again after i unplugged it for awhile and plugged it back in.

I have a Sears refigerator and freezer.  The compressor stopped working like it did once in the past.  

I used a small fan to cool the compressor thinking it got too hot when we were unloading groceries, but now no cold air. the fan in the back doenst come on nor the compressor?

One of two things. Thermostat is "teh fucked" or you are in defrost. I opt for the defrost timer first. Usually behind the light shield in the refrig. Its gonna be a round red or grey "screw" turn it clockwise a couple of clicks... does the compressor kick on?

Is the compressor hot?

if the others dont work, rap on the thermostat with the end of a screw driver. DONT SMASH IT, just hit it lightly and see if that kicks on the thermostat. If not, take the thermostat out CAREFULLY!! DO NOT BREAK THE CAPILLARY SENSING TUBE!!! Use an ohm meter to see if you have continuity.

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF ELECTRICITY, CALL A QUALIFIED SERVICE TECHNICIAN!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:19:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One of two things. Thermostat is "teh fucked" or you are in defrost. I opt for the defrost timer first. Usually behind the light shield in the refrig. Its gonna be a round red or grey "screw" turn it clockwise a couple of clicks... does the compressor kick on?

Is the compressor hot?

if the others dont work, rap on the thermostat with the end of a screw driver. DONT SMASH IT, just hit it lightly and see if that kicks on the thermostat. If not, take the thermostat out CAREFULLY!! DO NOT BREAK THE CAPILLARY SENSING TUBE!!! Use an ohm meter to see if you have continuity.

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF ELECTRICITY, CALL A QUALIFIED SERVICE TECHNICIAN!!!

Thanks Drfridge!  I never knew there was a defrost timer...  The compressor was very hot when i looked at it, thus i thought there might be some kind of heat switch on it.  I bet it was in defrost mode though, seems like i lasted a long time?  Maybe it started as we were putting up groceries, and caused the fridge to feel warm inside...

anyway, thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Clean the dust off of the coils.  If it's not transferring heat well thru the coils, the compressor get overheated.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I changed the defrost timer on my mom's box, and it works like a champ, it was bought in 1966!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top