Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 4:15:18 PM EDT
  I use a .454 casull for hunting and I was wondering how many others do not feel any recoil when you take a shot? Looking back, I can't remember ever feeling any recoil even tho the pistol raised up and dropped down. At the range I always feel it, no matter how hard I concentrate on the shot placement. So is this the norm with the rest of you? I cannot say anything about a second shot as I have never fired more then 1 shot at a deer, I have hunted only 3 years and have taken 7 deer. I have shot for quite a while tho, and have always felt the recoil tho never a problem.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a 300WM when I was a kid some and I had no clue about the recoil.  FWIW, I never heard the shots either.  It's funny how hunting can tone down all other stimuli.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I never feel recoil when shooting a deer or an elk.  Even with the 45-70.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Don't feel it, don't hear it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, I don't notice recoil when I'm hunting at all, just when target shooting. I think it must have to do with the adrenalin rush that I get when I'm hunting and finally see something come so close.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I never feel it or hear it either. I get so focused on my target, everything else gets blocked out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The only time I noticed was shooting a crippled goose with my sp10.  I am short and stand on a milk crate to get over the blind.  It made me sit down!  Normally I don't notice.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't that the coolest thing how you can't hear (as loud) and feel the recoil (as much).  

I beleive it still does the damage to your ears though, correct?  So then what do Rangers, SEALs, Deltas, Reserves, etc do when there is a firefight.  Lots of shots go off so it must be damaging to your hearing.  What do they do?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I never feel it or hear it either. I get so focused on my target, everything else gets blocked out.

+1

I don't hear it because of all the ringing in my ears

AKASL
LIVE FREE OR DIE
WHITE MOUNTAINS
NEW HAMPSHIRE
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So then what do Rangers, SEALs, Deltas, Reserves, etc do when there is a firefight.  Lots of shots go off so it must be damaging to your hearing.  What do they do?

Wear plugs or go deaf.

+1 on not feeling recoil when hunting and shooting at game.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#10]
My dad shot a 12 gauge at ruffed grouse so much he damaged his hearing.

CRC
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I do wear a game ear when I hunt. There is no way I want tinnitis as it can drive you nuts if you have it bad. All the rap and rocker kids with their 2000 watt car stereos are going to be screwed in 10 years. I told my kid it would be a great profession to be in [ear dr] There is already a pretty decent upswing in younger hearing inpaired people. DEAF!! is not cool. Shooting a gun w/o hearing protection is like welding w/o eye protection, you can do it but you will be screwed up later in life.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't feel the recoil or hear the shot but I do hear the slap of the bullet or arrow hitting the animal.  It usually sounds like you slapped a side of beef with a ping pong paddle.

eta, and anohter thing.  Why does a 150# deer, shot with a .30-06 or 12ga jump and run away but a 200# man on TV is blown backwards 20 feet when a .45 ACP hits him?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So then what do Rangers, SEALs, Deltas, Reserves, etc do when there is a firefight.  Lots of shots go off so it must be damaging to your hearing.  What do they do?

Wear plugs or go deaf.

+1 on not feeling recoil when hunting and shooting at game.  

But then how do they hear each other and communicate, minus hand signals?  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#15]
tinnitis!!!

I played in different bands in my teeneage years and went to a few concerts. Got started shooting with my other dumb@ss friends and didn't wear hearing protection. Joined the guard and went through a few live fire exercises having to hear commands from my squad leader and later issue commands to my fire team.

I have frequency holes in my hearing and tinnitis. My hearing isn't so bad now (37) but I'm deathly afraid of needing hearing aids later in life. Some things I can't seem to hear while others I can hear distinctly. Watching tv or movies drives me crazy because the dialog is never louder than the darn soundtrack, but I can hear my kids kicking their feet against a chair in the next room. The ringing isn't noticible most of the time but when its real quite I can hear it. Very rarely it's almost loud enough to keep me up at night. I also sleep better on one side, I guess the ear that hears better is against the pillow.

It's not so bad that you'd notice if you knew me, but it drives me insane.

Hearing protection is not an option it's really mandatory. By the time you notice a difference you're already kinda dorked over.

But there are also a lot of other things that damage your hearing. Any loud noise for an extended amount of time.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Rant/ confessions/ warning over.

edit to add: Didn't mean to highjack the thread, now back to the original topic. I don't notice recoil as much when I'm really focused, but when I'm not really in the moment it starts hurting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:17:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I always have a set of corded ear plugs attacked to my jacket when I hunt. I leave them both out until I see something and then, if I have time, I put the left one in. I'm a right handed shooter so the left ear gets by far the most muzzle blast and I like to protect that ear. My right ear seems to hardly get any muzzle blast though.

It's especially bad with my .270. My 12 gauge doesn't seem to bother my ears as much.

If I'm target shooting I've definitely got plugs in both ears though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I always have a set of corded ear plugs attacked to my jacket when I hunt. I leave them both out until I see something and then, if I have time, I put the left one in. I'm a right handed shooter so the left ear gets by far the most muzzle blast and I like to protect that ear. My right ear seems to hardly get any muzzle blast though.

It's especially bad with my .270. My 12 gauge doesn't seem to bother my ears as much.

If I'm target shooting I've definitely got plugs in both ears though.

I shoot a .270 as well.. love the sound traveling through a valley.. bagoooooooshhhhhhh...

haha.

and yes its true, I dont hear or feel a damn thing when shooting a deer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#18]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
So then what do Rangers, SEALs, Deltas, Reserves, etc do when there is a firefight. Lots of shots go off so it must be damaging to your hearing. What do they do?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at all of the WWII vets, that are still living and notice how many wear hearing aids(the ones that saw heavy combat) almost all of them. the viet nam vets are staarting to need them too but I haven't seen as many. the gulf war vets may have a better chance as some or many wear protection.

it's almost impossible to wear them for immediate action to an ambush, but planned raids or assualts find better oportunities to protect yourself.

and no I've never felt recoil except for the range and when outside of my bradly fighting vehicle when that 25mm goes offouch!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top