Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
my fiancee cuts it up into pieces and cooks them in a skillet, fantastic!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
my fiancee cuts it up into pieces and cooks them in a skillet, fantastic!

Really?    Would she mind recommending certain spices?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
marinate in guiness overnight. cook very rare
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I like em three ways.

Marinated in COLD beer, and cooked til its hot but a good smoke alarm would wake it up. Then eat it with nothing else. (Hmmm Porterhouse!)

Soaked with with tequila lime and black pepper, then still able to crawl off my plate cooked, but still hot. (Good with silver tip sirloins)

Grilled up with bell peppers and mixed with montreal seasoning and diced and covered with melted pepper jack cheese and stuffed onto a good sourdough roll. (Any kind of steak)

ETA: Oh and Tender enough so that you could cut it with a fine dash of air.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
marinate in guiness overnight. cook very rare

Hmmm... Good use of Guiness.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried the thing where you bake or broil it in a bed of rock salt.  At first it was interesting but it got old quick.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
bloody rare.

theyre DONE! Montreal steak seasoning, garlic salt, and mesquite wood on the coals
000buck.d2g.com/dinner/theyredone71003.jpg

I use cast iron for this now.
000buck.d2g.com/dinner/theyredone.jpg

Thats just disgusting, my friend.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
medium well, slathered with steak sauce

barbarian.

You people that ruin your meat by cooking it more than medium-rare should really stick to skirt steaks.  I can't believe you'd do that to a porterhouse!

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Medium rare....Only reason I don't eat em rare is that I want em hot, no cold.

I will be trying out my new four burner Captain Cook Grill today for the first time. Twas an Xmas present and just picked it up yesteday.  

I like Adolf's Marinade in Minutes for cheaper cuts. Just mix with water and put the steaks in ait for an hour or so and it creats an amazing au jus that runs out of the steak when you cut into them.

True Porterhouse (not Tbone) or ribeye are my favorites, if they've never been frozen, a little unseasoned meat tenderizer insures tenderness, and salts the meat effectively.

Strips or sirloin need marinades to tenderize, imho.

I have the fire as hot as possible and cook the steaks FAST!  

Always accompany with good sausage on the grill too. As the low-carbgers says...meat and potatoes? how about meat and meat?

Can't wait to crank up some ribeyes this afternoon on my new Grill

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Speaking of marinades.... I have been experimenting with grilled chicken breasts lately.... and I cannot find anything that beats a few hours of Italian dressing mixed with a few dashes of "liquid smoke"  It is amazing compared to most of the stuff I have tried.  I'd also add pineapple juice... but that stuff aint Atkins friendly.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I like ribeyes and New York strips. I season them with garlic, ty pepper, pinch of salt, and sometimes a bit of worchestershire sauce. I have my grill fire as hot as possible and cook about minute or two on each side depending on the thickness. Always rare to medium-rare.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Wipe it's ass and tear off a slab
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Dang it!  This thread has made me HUNGRY!!!  And the meat market up the road is closed today.    I may have to go out to the pasture, find a cow, knock its horns off and wipe its ass.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#16]
The following works for good cuts too, but REALLY helps cheap cuts. Yeah it's hearsay, to not eat Porter, Ribeye, etc, but not everyone can afford the prices on a consant basis...

For good steaks on the cheap, since although I love the expensive cuts, I hate the prices and reserve them for the more special occasions. I tend to buy a cheap cut like thick Chuck or 7 bone(yeah, I'm cheap on regular meals) . I then cover with pepper, dried garlic, and dried onion (or whatever pre-mix I have available), but NO salt. Salt just dries out the meat and since Soy sauce is salty, you don't need additional. Stick it in a ziplock and then coat with "dark" soy sauce (lighter ones like Kikkoman work, but not as flavorful) and just shake it in the bag.

I then throw it in the bottom of my fridge. The soy sauce will NOT let the meat spoil until after LONG time. I've had meat coated in soy sauce good for a week easily and it is still good. The cheap cut will also tenderize a LOT from the soy and aging. Soy sauce does not spoil, and in fact a previously opened soy sauce only gets better after time. It also seeps into the meat drawing theflavor of the spices too and adds TONS of flavor.

Let the meat come to room temp when you are ready. With a cast iron pan and the pan on highest heat, throw a slice of real butter in the middle of the  pan. Just after the butter starts to goes from melted clear to brown, throw on the steak. It should start smoking like crazy.

Count to 40 and then flip the steak and count to 40 again (still smoking like crazy). Once the second thirty is done, turn down the heat  (to where it is not smoking like crazy) to about 3/4 max heat and cook for about 3 minutes and then flip again and anoter 3 minutes (can vary depending on how well done you like it, but 3 min extra per side is rare to med rare).

This soy aging/cooking makes a "cheap" cut steak VERY flavorful and tender.  I also like to do it to good cuts, but you don't need to age the meat like with a cheap cut.  I have had people astonished that a cheap cut could taste so good.

This pure-pan method does not work as well if you like well-done. The soaked in soy sauce tends to burn "inside" the meat if you keep it on the "pan" until the center is well done. If you want med-well to well, then after the 40 second "burns", remove from pan and stick it in a pre-heated oven (350-400) and cook for another 10-20 minutes, to cook to the center.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Salt, pepper, garlic and a little onion. Then slap it on the ass and throw it on my plate!

Giddee up little doggie
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
... Finally feeling better, got the chores done around the house and gone as far as I want to with the chopper while the frame & swingarm are out for powdercoating.

... So this thread inspired me go get the nicest aged ribeye AJ's had. Gonna make an afternoon of it!

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Throw it on the grill to raise it to body temperature and it is done

Add a baked potato to soak up the joice

ETA: Porterhouse
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Speaking of marinades.... I have been experimenting with grilled chicken breasts lately.... and I cannot find anything that beats a few hours of Italian dressing mixed with a few dashes of "liquid smoke"  It is amazing compared to most of the stuff I have tried.  I'd also add pineapple juice... but that stuff aint Atkins friendly.  

Emeril Lagasse  

I like his seasonings and all the Marinade, Grilled on wood, fried, baked. Ummmmmmmm

"BAM"!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Medium, pink and warm in the middle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Dull its horns, wipe its ass and run it past the grill!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Marinade???  Marinade???  Sauces and basting???  HEATHENS!!  Thou art ruinous of perfectly good meat!

Put it on the grill, medium rare.  Stop burning the natural flavors out of it!!

Woody
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I just had a $1.75 steak and fried up some bread in the pan with it.

Tasted just like a $1.75 steak, eventhough I kept it red in the middle, it was a workout to eat.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Marinade???  Marinade???  Sauces and basting???  HEATHENS!!  Thou art ruinous of perfectly good meat!
Put it on the grill, medium rare.  Stop burning the natural flavors out of it!!
Woody

I absolutely agree. I would only go as far as to put salt, pepper, and minced (freshly) garlic on a steak before the grilling. Anythin else just covers up the flavors too much. Cook it over hot flaming coals for about 4 min. each side.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Burnt to a crisp!

Rare, just s&p, olive oil and sear them then into the oven.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Cut it straight off the cow, run it through a warm room and drop it on my plate.  I want the damn thing still bellowin' and bleedin'.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#28]
marinate for a couple hours then bbq until it's medium rare. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Like this....

Tonight I broke in my new 4 burner grill......7 steaks on it at once...coulda done three or four more..

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I cooked two nice porterhouse steaks awhile ago. Got the fire as hot as it could get with a blowdryer, slapped the steaks on and flipped them a few times to get them seared good.  When they started to get firm I basted them with real butter and made sure they were well done.  Nearly black on the outside and grey on the inside.  I put two pats of butter in the bottom of the plate before I put the steak on it and then added two more to the top of the steak. A baked potato, corn and muscadine wine complimented the fine steaks.  

There only two things that I eat raw.  Fruit and p****.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Seared over hot Mesquite coals, Rare on the inside (the way God intended.)

This thread needs a poll.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top