Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 6:06:58 PM EDT
La Palma Island of the Canary Islands has a weakened land mass on one of it's steep shores.  Weakened by a 1949 volcano (the Cumbre Vieja), it nearly experienced a complete collapse.  Such a collapse would create a mega tsunami.  Taking approximately 5 hours to reach the eastern shores of the United States (travelling at 725 km per hour), it would destroy everything up to 12.5 miles inland from major cities such as New York all the way down to Miami.  

A valid threat from the next volcanic eruption, scientists believe it may take up to five incidents before the collapse will occur...or just one.  They say, with a straight face, that they just don't know.  The giant landslide would slam into the ocean and result in a mega tsunami.  The wave of the mega tsunami would tower higher than the tallest sky scraper in the world.  These eruptions seem to happen every 100 years or so (the last being in '49) so don't cancel your vacation plans or head to middle America just yet.

Swiss and other world scientists warn that it is not a question of "if" it is a question of "when."

(Data gathered from this evening's special on the Discovery Channel.)

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
We heard that right after it happened, I think we have a warning system in place though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Dupe.

It bears repeating.  Ops
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't realize that tsunamis were ever just for Asians.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The best part of that show is the very last scene, where a 100 foot high wall of water is shown rolling over the coastline. It's a breathtaking piece of computer animation. My chest tightens whenever I see that part.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
If terrorists put explosives throughout that fault, do you think they could cause a landslide artificailly?

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, in the wake of the Alaskan Earthquake (64?), we had one before on the West Coast.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder how much aid will be sent to the USofA in the event of this catastrophe?   How much was sent by othe rcountries for all those Hurricanes this year?

Just curious....

Of course it will all eb the US's fault, Tsunami in Asia? UsA fault
Tsunami in USA, must be USA fault again......

talk about everyone picking on the biggest strongest, richest kid in class....

(Forgive me, I am feelign cynical tonight)
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#8]
We've got a Tsunami here in South Louisiana.

www.servingsushi.com/
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
At least it won't hit Maine and if it does hit any of the east coast, the wave will have shrunk by the time it gets here . . . it can't stay that big traveling all that way accross the Atlantic Ocean.
It would most certainly have to disipate as it moves.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If terrorists put explosives throughout that fault, do you think they could cause a landslide artificailly?

Nope. Not possible.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Whew! I'm safe, if there were a tsunami to hit the west coast of Los Angeles, it would only reach 10 miles or  so, I'm 30 miles inland.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't decide whether to stay on the East coast and be killed by the La Palma tsunami or move out west so I can be incinerated by the supervolcano underneath Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
At least it won't hit Maine and if it does hit any of the east coast, the wave will have shrunk by the time it gets here . . . it can't stay that big traveling all that way accross the Atlantic Ocean.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

South Louisiana gets a Tsunami everytime a large hurricane comes up the mouth of the river.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

www.servingsushi.com/

now thats funny.  That gets  3 points
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It would probably take a lot of nukes

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I can't decide whether to stay on the East coast and be killed by the La Palma tsunami or move out west so I can be incinerated by the supervolcano underneath Yellowstone.

I expect they would happen within a week of each other too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess if they had that many nukes, they'd just use them to nuke us instead of a dastardly evil plan akin to the foes of James Bond.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The giant landslide would slam into the ocean and result in a mega tsunami.  The wave of the mega tsunami would tower higher than the tallest sky scraper in the world.  

This is all in theory of course. I saw the Discovery Channel special and the "mega tsunami" disaster they showed was within some Alaskan bay. I suspect that a great landslide on an island would not result in a wall of water taller than the Statue of Liberty thousands of miles away, as was suggested on the show. There would be some dissipation since all that water necessary to create a wave must follow Newton's Law like anything else. But predicting such disasters gets all those "experts" on the Discovery Channel.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The giant landslide would slam into the ocean and result in a mega tsunami.  The wave of the mega tsunami would tower higher than the tallest sky scraper in the world.  

This is all in theory of course. I saw the Discovery Channel special and the "mega tsunami" disaster they showed was within some Alaskan bay. I suspect that a great landslide on an island would not result in a wall of water taller than the Statue of Liberty thousands of miles away, as was suggested on the show. There would be some dissipation since all that water necessary to create a wave must follow Newton's Law like anything else. But predicting such disasters gets all those "experts" on the Discovery Channel.

Did you see the part about the tsunami evidence found near the center of the State of Texas?    That must've been one hell of a big wave!

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Nope, it doesn't disipate.  They predict it will swamp the whole east coast up to 28 miles inland (in places).

8 hrs warning, max.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Uh, a tsunami taller than the tallest building?  That's more than a quarter of a mile.  Heck, that's probably bigger than the wave in Deep Impact.

I can't believe that.  Even the recent tsunami was only 20 or 30 feet tall at the worst.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Uh, a tsunami taller than the tallest building?  That's more than a quarter of a mile.  Heck, that's probably bigger than the wave in Deep Impact.

I can't believe that.  Even the recent tsunami was only 20 or 30 feet tall at the worst.

That's because tsunamis created by earthquakes are limited in size.  I think 33 feet is the max.  Landslide tsunamis are limitless.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because tsunamis created by earthquakes are limited in size.  I think 33 feet is the max.  Landslide tsunamis are limitless.

I just did a little research, and out of many numbers as to the likely height of the wave at the east coast, the highest was 100 meters.

A wave 1,500 feet high would travel much further than just 15 miles inland.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just did a little research, and out of many numbers as to the likely height of the wave at the east coast, the highest was 100 meters.

A wave 1,500 feet high would travel much further than just 15 miles inland.

I'm just echoing what the scientists were saying on the Discovery Channel.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
We heard that right after it happened, I think we have a warning system in place though.

5 hours from point of origin to NYC......not everyone would be out by then.  People Sheeple would panic and shtf situation would occure.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

My understanding is, over time the speed decreases but the amplitude (the wave) increases. The farther it travels, the bigger it gets.
With this recent event the reports were 20 ft. hit Sumatra, 30 ft. at Thailand, 50 ft at Sri Lanka/India.
They travel across the Pacific all the time, but most most quakes are not 9+. The Alaska quake in '64 was.
It may be that they achieve some maximum size and do not get any bigger.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm just echoing what the scientists were saying on the Discovery Channel.

I'm not questioning you, I'm just second-guessing what the scientists said.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't worry, it wouldn't be a tsunami, it'd be a tidal wave.

Hurricane/Typhoon/Cyclone
Tornado/Monsoon
Tsunami/Tidal Wave

WHY?!?!?!  They are called different things in their native languages, but in we call them by different names depending on where they occur, instead of having one english word for each weather phenomenon.

Tidal waves are one of those things that occur rarely so you don't bother planning, like a damn asteroid.  If it happens, just deal with it and die or rebuild.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#31]
No Really ?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#32]
As  long as it stops before it hits PA  I'd be able to live with that...remember   "Pennsylvania  America Starts Here"
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, At least I got P.E.I., N.S., and the east coast of N.B. to buffer the wave before it hits the farm
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess if they had that many nukes, they'd just use them to nuke us instead of a dastardly evil plan akin to the foes of James Bond.  

Watch out for giant "lasers" on the moon too!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow, I just saw a Discovery special about the possible upcoming mega-tsunami.  I'm glad I'm in Ohio.  Of course, the economic crash will reach me, but at least I'll live.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

... please go smash your face into a toolbox for me, I'm not there to do it for you - numbskull
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top