Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2005 11:16:14 AM EDT
Ok im mailing a receiver back to manufacturer. Its not a fully assembled firearm though. Do i still need to declare it at the post office? Need an answer asap. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
"Machined Parts"
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say its ok, don't declare anything.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#3]
To FFL? Nope.  Declare = this is gun, steal me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Thas what i thought
Thank you
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Technically, it'd be best if you read the USPS definition of a handgun.

But..... I've <cough> heard of folks mailing stripped receivers without problems, primarily via prioirty mail.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I mailed a "machine part" to Bushmaster via priority mail for repair.  Insured it for $200 and no questions asked.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I've mailed firearms to FFL's via USPS many times, and have never declared the contents.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Technically, the USPS will not mail a firearm from a private individual, regardless of where it is going.  They usually will only mail from FFL holders.  However, if the firearm is packaged and unmarked, the post office will mail it (as they don't know what it is).  You can simply insure it with Delivery confirmation and you should be OK.  The only time a problem would occur is if you had to file an insurance claim if the package was damaged or lost.  They may give you a hard time or even refuse to pay because you shipped a packeg they don't allow.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty sure thats wrong.  I'm going to need to see a reg where they can't ship from private individuals.  (pretty please)  Happens all the time.  I even told them what it was, (once) and as long as its going to a FFL no problem.  Made sure I had a copy of the FFL just to soothe nerves.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#10]
My ffl buddy just told me that an individual can mail it usps but if you declare it you may be swamped in forms that they coincidentally dont carry..Our big brother  is doing this for your own good!!!But were still the best there is..
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Pretty sure thats wrong.  I'm going to need to see a reg where they can't ship from private individuals.  (pretty please)  Happens all the time.  I even told them what it was, (once) and as long as its going to a FFL no problem.  Made sure I had a copy of the FFL just to soothe nerves.  

This info came directly from two mail carriers and from one of the girl's at the counter.  Sure, their info could have been wrong, but I don't know.  Furthermore, the ATF even informed me that while I can legally ship a firearm to another individual in state, I wouldn't be able to do it as no carrier will ship a firearm to anyone without an FFL.  I'm not sure how it would apply to shipping a firearm back to a manufacturer.

Now that I think of it, though, I really don't see where it matters.  When you insure an item, you are never asked to declare the contents.  They simply take your money and ship the package.  But, like I said in the other post, I'm not sure how they would react if you had to file a claim.   I'm sure it would come down to a pissing contest between you and the post office, though!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I sold a AR stripped lower and sent it US Mail. I got in an argument with the clerk because I was declaring it as a firearm but he didn't understand because it was just a part. I told him that's how the ATF considers them. It didn't cost me anymore $$ but next time I will consider a lower as parts and not even mention the contents.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]
It never ceases to amaze me, the amount of mis-information people will sit and let spew out of their mouths (or keyboards...).  All you have to do is go to USPS.COM and find the information for yourself.

Mailability Requirements for Firearms

Unloaded Handgun
Mailer must be licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Unloaded Rifle or Shotgun
Short-barrelled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on a person are nonmailable.
Mailer must comply with Gun Control Act of 1968 and with the state and local laws. USPS may require mailer to open parcel or give written certification that weapon is unloaded and not concealable. Registered mail service is recommended.

Unloaded Antique Firearm
Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

432.3 Packaging and Marking
No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM C010.

Or, you can also go to the ATF website and view their firearms FAQ .  But I'm sure most of you are too paranoid to visit the ATF website for fear of getting raided.

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Anymore secritarial duties I can help you all out with tonight?  (yes, I'm a bit pissy today)
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Technically, the USPS will not mail a firearm from a private individual, regardless of where it is going.  They usually will only mail from FFL holders.  However, if the firearm is packaged and unmarked, the post office will mail it (as they don't know what it is).  You can simply insure it with Delivery confirmation and you should be OK.  The only time a problem would occur is if you had to file an insurance claim if the package was damaged or lost.  They may give you a hard time or even refuse to pay because you shipped a packeg they don't allow.

Wrong! I mail and receive guns all the time, yes, I'n an FFL but it makes no difference except with handguns. WhenI ship a handgun, I give the clerk the Form and that's it. I never get a second look or a hard time.  When I ship a machinegun registered insured, all I get "IS there at least 2" of packing material around it?, is it perishable, in glass, liquid blah, blah, blah."  If you are not a FFL, don't ship a handgun. Otherwise don't ask, don't tell.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Also you should use non-descriptive addressees where possible... such as "Quality Parts, Inc." rather than "Bushmaster Firearms".  You might want to ask someone at the destination for a suggestion on how to address the package in order to remain low-key and help avoid your package being an invitation to theft.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#16]
send it ups,tracking number etc
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't ship it without doing it the right way.  I did it once, and I regretted it.  I shipped a pistol back to Kel-Tec a third time, and I was tired of spending the $35 for UPS overnight since I had already done it twice.  I sent it UPS ground, but the clerk scanned the barcode from the previous customer so she put the wrong label on the box with the pistol.  It was delivered to a residence in NYC, and I'll probably never see it again.  I might, but it has been a month and I haven't yet been able to reach someone at the address it was delivered to.  After the worry I went through about getting caught and getting in trouble, I'm never doing anything like that again.  It's well worth the money to be able to sleep at night.  I don't even drive over the speed limit, so this was more risk than I'm ever will to take again.z
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Be careful with the USPS and insurance. Doesn't matter if you pay for insurance, USPS won't cover anything unless the sender has a receipt stating what those "machine parts" are and what they are worth. Also what happens if the parcel is damaged and the USPS opens it? They’ll call their Postal Inspectors and chances are you'll have him knocking at your door. It's easier to declare it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You could not be more wrong.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Quoted:
This info came directly from two mail carriers and from one of the girl's at the counter.  Sure, their info could have been wrong, but I don't know.  Furthermore, the ATF even informed me that while I can legally ship a firearm to another individual in state, I wouldn't be able to do it as no carrier will ship a firearm to anyone without an FFL.  I'm not sure how it would apply to shipping a firearm back to a manufacturer.

Now that I think of it, though, I really don't see where it matters.  When you insure an item, you are never asked to declare the contents.  They simply take your money and ship the package.  But, like I said in the other post, I'm not sure how they would react if you had to file a claim.   I'm sure it would come down to a pissing contest between you and the post office, though!

You need to learn to do some research.  Every one you asked gave you a line of bullshit.

The USPS will most certainly deliver a long gun to a private individual within the same as it is not a violation of Federal Law (which controls USPS policy).

I know for a fact FedEx will not deliver to a non FFL, as I have read their Tariff thoroghly.

I don't know about UPS because they suck donkey dick and I refuse to business with them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Imagine that, employess of a company giving you misinformation.  Well, it isn't the first time that has happened!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top