Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 8:58:23 PM EDT
These are unreal.  Click on the before/after button and be sure to scroll through all 14..  

Tsunami pictures from space

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The scale of that disaster is hard to comprehend.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll just say "Wow".  Pictures 12 and 13 especially show the energy of the waves.  It takes much more to make rooted trees disappear than surface structures.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Those later pictures were amazing. I couldn't imagine so much water rushing in that it makes the ground barren of life.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The land is just gone......man that is power.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Slide 7 is interesting.

Still, after seeing those pictures of poor little survivors wearing Bin Laden tshirts (and not getting beaten senseless by their neighbors) , I have a tough time giving a damn about Indonesia or Sri Lanka. Save our aid for Thailand.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh wow... 5 and 6 are just crazy... as well as the rest. But the fifth and sixth ones are unbelievable, there isnt anything left on those islands....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#7]
wow
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]
just wow
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Slide 7 is interesting.

Still, after seeing those pictures of poor little survivors wearing Bin Laden tshirts (and not getting beaten senseless by their neighbors) , I have a tough time giving a damn about Indonesia or Sri Lanka. Save our aid for Thailand.

Sri Lanka is Buddhist it's not a Muslim country.

www.oneasiatravel.com/oneasiatravel_country_srilanka_religion.htm

Religion

Sri Lanka is a country of many religions and the pattern closely follows the ethnic groupings. Theravada Buddhism is the religion of the Sinhalese and is the dominant religion accounting to 70%.

Hinduism follows with about 15%, then followed by the Tamils. Muslims and Christians account for the rest with about 7.5% each.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Those pics are just unbelievable.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#12]
wow and tagged.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm shocked and speechless...

I'm amazed that only 150,000 died so far...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#15]
DAMN.  Just.... DAMN.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hear, hear! Those moslem SOBs were dancing in the streets when the WTC/Pentagon was hit, I remember that very vividly. Thailand helped the USA during the Vietnam War.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Dude, people in those countries are so poor they wear whatever they can get...they don't have a Macy's in the third floor of the mall down the street like you do.

Then they could show the common courtesy of turning the tshirt inside-out. Wearing a shirt extolling the greatness of the man that wants to destroy America, (and had a few thousand killed), isn't the most brilliant move in the world.

Quoted:
How many people exactly did you see wearing a BL shirt?

Your willing to persecute a whole country by seeing a guy or 2 wearing a BL shirt?  You better not go to a college campus or your poor little head may pop!

You keep telling yourself that. Show me the picture of those guys being beaten black-and-blue by their outraged neighbors, and you have a point.  

They are free to hate America. They are also free to fuck off and die when their survival depends on a handout from my wallet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I saw a picture of the first wave, it was worse than any seen in a movie of such an event, it was at least as hight as thirty story hotels on the beach.  I could not beleive it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Slide 7 is interesting.

How many people exactly did you see wearing a BL shirt?

Your willing to persecute a whole country by seeing a guy or 2 wearing a BL shirt?  You better not go to a college campus or your poor little head may pop!

Awesome pictures.  Thanks.  Gonna go forward this to my brother.

ETA: I think the people of Sri Lanka have had their own little terrorist organization to worry about.

A third to half of the people killed in this catastrophe were children, many of the survivors are orphans.

It takes a callous person to want to punish the whole population over a T-shirt.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Answer the question.  You made the statement. You used the plural.

Recently? 2. One in Sri Lanka, one in Indonesia.

But you need to read up on your recent history. Not a very US-friendly part of the world.

From the second link:
Support for Bin Laden is not uncommon in Indonesia

(Note that the above are from the BBC. Can't have you crying about 'biased right-wing sources' or something!)
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It takes a callous person to want to punish the whole population over a T-shirt.

If you are so concernced, get your butt on a plane and get over there. I certainly didn't cause the tsunami, and if my countries limited resources are going to be used over there, let them go to people that don't want to see us killed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Answer the question.  You made the statement. You used the plural.

Recently? 2. One in Sri Lanka, one in Indonesia.

But you need to read up on your recent history. Not a very US-friendly part of the world.

From the second link:
Support for Bin Laden is not uncommon in Indonesia

(Note that the above are from the BBC. Can't have you crying about 'biased right-wing sources' or something!)

The vast majority of Indonesia's Muslims are renowned for an extremely moderate approach to their religion. Most reject the threats made by the extremists and are concerned about the impact this will have on the country's image as a bastion of liberal Islam.

From your own link ^ Doh!! You don't read good do ya?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Truely amazing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:45:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the link.

Awesome photos.  (And somebody went to a lot of work putting this together!)

The scary thing is that the damage on the ground in the populated areas is probably even worse than some of these photos actually show.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:02:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Shows the power that a tsunami can have
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:38:07 AM EDT
[#30]
When mother nature decides she is going to kick your ass, you are going to lose....every time.
As a kid my dad taught me to respect the ocean...beacause it can do whatever it wants with you.
I spent my fair share of time out at sea in storms, and have seen hurricanes and tropical storms from a 36' ChrisCraft.....but nothing I have seen...not even 40' swells 20 miles offshore.....can even capture what these people went through. There are no words that tell the story of those that got caught in this wave. Regardless of what religion they practiced...they met their maker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top