Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 6:03:16 PM EDT
Guard officials find fourth of five missing guns from Camp Shelby

Associated Press

HATTIESBURG, Miss. - The fourth of five firearms missing from Camp Shelby has been recovered, Guard officials said Wednesday.

A 9mm handgun was discovered Tuesday morning.

"Further details concerning the recovery of this handgun cannot be disclosed while that investigation is ongoing," a prepared statement from Camp Shelby spokesman Doril Sanders said.

One handgun remains missing.

A Mississippi soldier accused of stealing the weapons from Camp Shelby last month is being held in a detention center at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi.

Camp Shelby, south of Hattiesburg, does not have a detention center or jail.

Spc. Ernest Leon Minor, 20, of Meridian, was arrested Dec. 24 after three of the missing guns were found in an off-base house.

Four 9mm handguns and an M4 semiautomatic carbine were discovered missing Dec. 21 from a 155th Brigade Combat Team weapons room.

Minor is a soldier in Company A, 1st/155th Infantry Battalion in Tylertown.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Because it was easy and you could sell them and make money.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
because he thought he could get away with it
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Because stupidity has no limits.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Four 9mm handguns and an M4 semiautomatic carbine were discovered missing Dec. 21 from a 155th Brigade Combat Team weapons room.

M4 semiautomatic carbine?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
To have a piece of Viet Nam memorabilia!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Most crime would disappear if the 'tards commiting it were capable of performing any sort of a risk / benefit analysis.

I was told that the average armed robbery nets less than 40 bucks. Yet douch bags risk their lives all the time pulling them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
?????????????????????????????????
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
?????????????????????????????????

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Not only was it immoral/wrong - he STOLE three Berettas! What the hell was he thinking......Now he can do hard time with Bubba the rapist at Fort Leavenworth and picture shitty Berettas as he gets violated. Truly an idiot.........this year's Darwin award goes to........
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
geeze, if your gonna rip off the NG you might as well get some M-60's, not a few lame Berettas
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Freak!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My question too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#13]
No one on the street is going to buy a M60.  Do you know how hard it would be to fire it on its side?  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was in high school in Indianapolis, someone broke into the ROTC arms locker and made off with 25 M14's. The rifles were fully capable, just the connector knob, detent and spring had been removed.
That was in the mid 70's. They were never recovered.
We got M1's and 03A3's as replacements and Anniston replaced the door and improved the security.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Almost sounds like he was a supply clerk or Armorer.  Sounds like a rocket scientist of a troop, farking dumbass.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#16]
...because they have the nicest stash of weapons that I would be interested in?...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I walk on the street periodically, and I'd buy a '60
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No one on the street is going to buy a M60.  Do you know how hard it would be to fire it on its side?  

+1
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Ohh there is a market for them, but do you have the necessary contacts to move full automatic weapons and it not be a sting operation? I would guess the average Joe would not.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]
When did this happen?  I never heard a peep about it and usually when a whole post gets locked down, people hear about it.  If they didn't lock the post down, something smells in the state of Denmark.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
When did this happen?  I never heard a peep about it and usually when a whole post gets locked down, people hear about it.  If they didn't lock the post down, something smells in the state of Denmark.  

Leave Denmark out of this. Why if you are in MO, would you hear of Camp Shelby, MS, getting locked down?

I think locked down is for when a weapon goes missing, and there is a chance it may get "discovered" if no one gets to leave w/o being checked, and there is a thourough search conducted of the base.

Weapons that are stolen, and the suspects are gone may not result in a lockdown.

This sounds like all the weapons were safe and sound in the arms room. Someone did a count, and there were missing guns. They checked the paper trail, and determined that the guns were previously present in the Arms Room, and had not be issued since then. Since the Arms Room had been blown up, cut open, etc. They knew it was a theft, and only a few people could be responsible, and all had time to get the stolen weapons out. So a lock down wouldn't be effective or apropiate.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#22]
He wanted them. Several years ago, a Marine(now ex-Marine) at Camp Pendleton almost got away with stealing his M-16. The TMO truck crashed enroute to his house. An inventory of the truck turned up the rifle, and sent him to the brig.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I've yet to see an AP writer who knows jack shit about guns. To most of them, semiautomatic=select-fire.

Dumbasses.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:41:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:06:10 AM EDT
[#25]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question too.

+1
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:00:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
National Guard rifles are machineguns, and have the standard parts in them (burst, in this case), but they have blocks installed (that go between the pistol grip and the receiver) that block the selector from going into the AUTO or BURST position.  Thus, they can only be used in semi-auto, at least until the block is removed.

-Troy

I admit I only spent 2 years in the INARNG, and I never saw the block.  But then again we were a LRS det and actually used the weapons on something other than a 25 meter range doing ALT C quals once every 2 years.

The only time I ever saw a picture of the sear block was when I was issued the 20 level maintenance manual in the Colt Armorer's Course.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:08:45 AM EDT
[#27]
If it was good enough for Dillinger and Bonnie & Clyde, it should be good enough for everyone.

But I think they were stealing Thompson's & BAR's.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:30:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Around here we only put the blocks on when there's a COMET inspection do.  As soon as they're done they come back off for another two years and get stored in a box in supply.  If we don't take 'em off the first time they get taken to the field they come back "Broken-off" "Accidentally" (It takes about 5 seconds with a Leatherman tool to snap the tab off that blocks the selector) lol.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Around here we only put the blocks on when there's a COMET inspection do.  As soon as they're done they come back off for another two years and get stored in a box in supply.  If we don't take 'em off the first time they get taken to the field they come back "Broken-off" "Accidentally" (It takes about 5 seconds with a Leatherman tool to snap the tab off that blocks the selector) lol.

Exactly.  We used to have "accidents" with those tabs as well in the OKARNG.  I don't believe they even put them on anymore.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Leave Denmark out of this. Why if you are in MO, would you hear of Camp Shelby, MS, getting locked down?

I think locked down is for when a weapon goes missing, and there is a chance it may get "discovered" if no one gets to leave w/o being checked, and there is a thourough search conducted of the base.

Weapons that are stolen, and the suspects are gone may not result in a lockdown.

This sounds like all the weapons were safe and sound in the arms room. Someone did a count, and there were missing guns. They checked the paper trail, and determined that the guns were previously present in the Arms Room, and had not be issued since then. Since the Arms Room had been blown up, cut open, etc. They knew it was a theft, and only a few people could be responsible, and all had time to get the stolen weapons out. So a lock down wouldn't be effective or apropiate.

No one mentioned the arms room being broken into.  Signs of obvious breaking and entering would preclude a lock down but simply having weapons missing typically will result in a lock down for unit and post.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

No one mentioned the arms room being broken into.  Signs of obvious breaking and entering would preclude a lock down but simply having weapons missing typically will result in a lock down for unit and post.

If five pistols were gone, I guessing the suspect was working in an arms rooms somewhere, sometime, to have access to that number of weapons.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
National Guard rifles are machineguns, and have the standard parts in them (burst, in this case), but they have blocks installed (that go between the pistol grip and the receiver) that block the selector from going into the AUTO or BURST position.  Thus, they can only be used in semi-auto, at least until the block is removed.

-Troy

I've been in the ARNG since 1991, and routinely worked with ARNG units in several states before that.

I have only seen a handful of weapons with the blocks installed, and those only since 11 Sep 01.  Most Guard rifles are fully capable of automatic or burst fire.  There has never been a Guard-wide policy requiring the installation of the blocks.  Most Guardsmen have never even seen one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

I've been in the ARNG since 1991, and routinely worked with ARNG units in several states before that.

I have only seen a handful of weapons with the blocks installed, and those only since 11 Sep 01.  Most Guard rifles are fully capable of automatic or burst fire.  There has never been a Guard-wide policy requiring the installation of the blocks.  Most Guardsmen have never even seen one.

I was in the guard for five years before going active duty.   I've never seen one and I don't know why they would install the damn things.  Wasn't ammo conservation the whole reason for switching to burst in the first place?  If the weapons are already limited to 3rnd burst then what is the point?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

I was in the guard for five years before going active duty.   I've never seen one and I don't know why they would install the damn things.  Wasn't ammo conservation the whole reason for switching to burst in the first place?  If the weapons are already limited to 3rnd burst then what is the point?

Riots.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Before a Unit Compliance Inspection I was one of the few folks that got volunteered to clean my squadron's weapons.  They were all Burst with no blocks in place.  But we are a combat communications squadron so others may be different.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Riots.

Hell all of the guys that I know that went to the G8 summit this past summer weren't even issued firearms at all, all they were issued is OC spray.  Damned Kent State ruined it for the rest of us Guardsmen.  Can't even shoot a hippie anymore, whats this world coming to?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Riots.

Hell all of the guys that I know that went to the G8 summit this past summer weren't even issued firearms at all, all they were issued is OC spray.  Damned Kent State ruined it for the rest of us Guardsmen.  Can't even shoot a hippie anymore, whats this world coming to?

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#39]
The blocks actually go on the outside of the rifle, and screw into the grip and look like metal clips--all they do is block the arc on the fun switch so it won't go into auto. We called them 'Market Garden' limiters, and we had them on our rifles (MP unit in Michigan) for about a year during the Malice Green trial and appeals.

By way of background, a crack head with a long rap sheet fought with two white drug officers who busted him on a street buy, he either died because his crack heart burst or because one of the cops clocked him with a maglight, in any event all white cops who responded to the area were fired by racist mayor Coleman Young, who also declared the incident an act of murder and proclaimed that 'Malice Green died like Jesus'. We expected big riots, which didn't come because the jury was properly instructed (they even forced them to watch racist black movies like Malcom X during down times in the trial).

We were ready for the riots and even had planned out what areas we were supposed to secure and preserve, but the jury sent the white cops to prison so there wasn't any trouble.

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

I admit I only spent 2 years in the INARNG, and I never saw the block.  But then again we were a LRS det and actually used the weapons on something other than a 25 meter range doing ALT C quals once every 2 years.

The only time I ever saw a picture of the sear block was when I was issued the 20 level maintenance manual in the Colt Armorer's Course.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top