Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 4:06:44 AM EDT
Caught a small part of this on PBS and checked out Amazon for the DVD,  found it and ordered it.   Watched the whole thing last nite.  Anyone else seen this??  Really liked the performances of ZZ Top, Joe Walsh and James Taylor and of course Eric Clapton.  Not to mention some of the old blues guys.  Great DVD.  How bout it; anyone else seen it and like it?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:15:20 AM EDT
[#1]
i watched it last month on PBS, definetly a "must buy"
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I am a HUGE Clapton fan. (Meaning I like Clapton a lot and not that I like Clapton and look like this:

)

Anyhoo, I have been wondering whether or not to buy this DVD, and I guess my mind just got made up for me.

Long live EC.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:28:21 AM EDT
[#3]
John_Wayne777,  Check out Amazon for it.  Good price.  Only cost me $23 and some change with shipping.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I lived it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:32:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Whatever you do, stay away from the Cream Farewell Concert DVD...I got that for Christmas, and it blows goats.  Horrible psuedo-docutmantary like commentary over the friggin' SONGS, all of which pretty much sound like they were recorded underwater.  This DVD sullies the memory I have of seeing Cream at the penultimate gig here in the states, at the Baltimore Civic Center.  The only good thing thing on there is Ginger Baker and Eric's reactions to the stupid questions the guys keeps asking them about thier playing.  

Speaking of Joe Walsh, I also saw the original James Gang at the BCC...way back in the day, there was no large indoor venue in DC for concerts, so we had to head up to Bal'mer to see them.  Anway, Walsh, Peters, and Fox kicked MAJOR ass...one of the best shows I've ever seen.  They did the entire 2 first albums, along with most of Rides Again.   Hard to believe it's the same guy who joined the Eagles...the chick band of chick bands.  

As for Clapton, imho opinion, the best work he did was with John Mayall,  and then Cream.  I'm sure you know that Clapton's first recorded vocal track was on the first Bluesbreakers album....Ramblin' On My Mind.  His guitar tone on the first Bluesbreakers is the bomb yo.  50w Marshall Combo and a Les Paul...same setup Gary Moore used to do his blues stuff....specifically, he's using (among others) Peter Green's old guitar...the one with the mysterious really out of phase pickup sound.  Check out Blues for Greeny...Moore absolutely nails Green's guitar style on a couple of those tracks, and the sound is exactly right.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:45:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 ...........As for Clapton, imho opinion, the best work he did was with John Mayall,  and then Cream.  I'm sure you know that Clapton's first recorded vocal track was on the first Bluesbreakers album....Ramblin' On My Mind.  His guitar tone on the first Bluesbreakers is the bomb yo.  50w Marshall Combo and a Les Paul...same setup Gary Moore used to do his blues stuff....specifically, he's using (among others) Peter Green's old guitar...the one with the mysterious really out of phase pickup sound.  Check out Blues for Greeny...Moore absolutely nails Green's guitar style on a couple of those tracks, and the sound is exactly right.  

I have the John Mayall Bluesbreakers album.  Bought it back when it was out.  Good album.  Have to dust off the old turntable to listen to it, though
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#7]
It is a GREAT DVD!!!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Having watched the Crossroads show on PBS, I gotta admit that IMHO, the BEST blues guitar licks were delivered by Joe Walsh.  That was some sweet lickin' man, damn!  Anyone agree?  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Everything was fine 'til I saw the big SRV on the side of the stage

Too bad it wasn't Stevie hosting a Clapton retrospective.......

Who were the two white guys with the blugrass song??? They were top notch.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have the John Mayall Bluesbreakers album.  Bought it back when it was out.  Good album.  Have to dust off the old turntable to listen to it, though

it's out on CD...I grabbed the 1st 2 Bluesbreakers albums on CD actually.  Still looking for the one with Mick Taylor on it.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's out on CD...I grabbed the 1st 2 Bluesbreakers albums on CD actually.  Still looking for the one with Mick Taylor on it.  

I knew it was on CD but never got it.  I have somewhere around 400 albums dating to the early 60's up till the CD's started to be the thing.  Some I have on CD also but obviously can't get everything on CD.  Too much $$$.  Also have boxes and boxes of old early to late 60's 45 rpm singles.  Once in a while I get them out and spin a few.   The CD collection is growing, though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Rumors abound of a Cream reunion tour soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top