Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2005 6:33:21 AM EDT
I just stumbled across this web page that sells chest holsters. I was thinking..."Huh? WTF is a chest holster?"

After looking at it for a while, it seemed to make some sense.

In a hot weather climate like the one I live in, it's not always easy to carry. I don't always wear shirts long enough to cover a hip holster, and some shirts can produce a fairly recognizable pistol signature through them.

In addition, there are times where a hip holster is flat out uncomfortable. A chest holster might make drawing your pistol a little less convenient, but looks like a way to carry that would allow for almost any shirt. The jury is still out on this one....what do you think?

Survival Sheath Systems Web Page...........
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Might be good to wear under a (non-white) dress shirt and tie, with a couple of shirt buttons left undone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#2]
that looks REALLY uncomfortable..........

Take your belt and standard holster and strap it around your chest.  Walk around the house for an hour with that and tell us how it feels.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a relatively large guy (6'0", 210 lbs) and still have trouble concealing during the summer.  Maybe this could be a viable option.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Why... just why? That looks like the most uncomfortable holster I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why... just why? That looks like the most uncomfortable holster I have ever seen.

Just looks like another carry option to me. Hip, shoulder, ankle, small of back.....chest.

Just depends on what works for different people....though I couldn't imagine carrying a large pistol like that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually this looks quite nice:

or this for the "I like to carry 81 rounds at alltimes" people, like me:

This would be nice for the G18!
Hell depending on where the pistol ends up you could even have a 33 round stick mag in it and make the total a whopping 94 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, I saw someone wearing one of these and stupidly, did not ask him where he got it.
Once you get used to wearing a vest with the holster there, you wonder how you can have it there without the vest.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I was issued a chest holster (usually incorrectly identified as a shoulder holster) for OIF II, but gave up using it after about a month.  The constant pressure being put on the back is not much fun.  The issue hip holster (Bianchi manufactured) is more comfortable to wear.

The chest holster is good for riding in vehicles, however.  In fact, tankers were the targeted users of the original chest holsters back in WWII.

It should be noted that a chest holster and a shoulder holster are two different things.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Not viable if you're in an environment which may call for prone firing positions.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I have used a military chest holster. It is great if you are carrying open and riding in a vehicle. It sucks for anything else.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Actually this looks quite nice:
www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/images/2magcuff_sm.jpg
or this for the "I like to carry 81 rounds at alltimes" people, like me:
www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/images/3magsr_sm.jpg
This would be nice for the G18!
Hell depending on where the pistol ends up you could even have a 33 round stick mag in it and make the total a whopping 94 rounds.

Hell, if you need that many rounds, carry a damn SBR under your jacket.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#13]
My employment dictates that I carry concealed almost every day of my life, both at work and off. I own one of the survival sheath rigs shown in the picture. I use it about 90% of the time that I carry now. I was skeptical of it at first until a friend of mine let me try his and I fell in love. It is by far the most comfortable rig I have ever worn concealed. Unless you are a complete fatass, the rig is virtually invisible underneath a loose fitting shirt. A T-shirt underneath keeps the straps from being bothersome. It allows you to wear your shirt tucked or untucked, and is faster to draw from than a shoulder rig for me. About the only time that I dont use it is when I am wearing a shirt that is too tight and might print. It also doesn't do well with white shirts for obvious reasons. To each his own, but I love mine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have used a military chest holster. It is great if you are carrying open and riding in a vehicle. It sucks for anything else.

This is what I have used since 1980................I like them
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't fathom how to conceal something like that.  I mean, my pecs are visible through most shirts.  A gun right between them would print like nobody's business.  Unless you have a concave chest, flabby figure and poor posture, I just can't see that being viable.  MAYBE the lower picture, with a very small gun and a thick shirt, but if you're going to the trouble of wearing a thick shirt (or even TWO shirts, Sharky did I read that right you wear a T-shirt, the holster, then another shirt?) you could easily conceal IWB, in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#16]
It actually rides below your pecs with the barrel laying sort of in-between. I did the IWB thing for years. Galco jackass shoulder rig. Thunderwear. Fagbag. You name it. This one is the best I've found. I was skeptical too until I tried it. My days usually run 9-12 hours at work. The IWB never lets me forget that it's there. every minute of every day, I always am aware of it riding there and digging in. I carry a SIG229 so it's not small, nor easy to conceal. The chest rig is way more comfortable than any IWB or shoulder rig I've tried. The only thing I have found that is more comfy for long periods is a fagbag, and I dont really consider those as carrying concealed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#17]
you'd think the kydex or buckles would bite into you. a cloth one with a light handgun, however, in a deep concealed situation....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm a relatively large guy (6'0", 210 lbs) and still have trouble concealing during the summer.  Maybe this could be a viable option.

6'3 and 200 pounds here. Full-size 1911 10+ months out of the year...

...but they make Smith and Wesson Model 60's for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
you'd think the kydex or buckles would bite into you. a cloth one with a light handgun, however, in a deep concealed situation....

I wear the T-shirt underneath and tape the buckles with electrical tape. The buckles are small and dont dig in if taped. Spare mag mounted under the armpit, along with a Cold Steel Urban Pal on the chest left of the holster, all taped down.

They are a little expensive to buy just to see if you like it, but if you get a chance to try out someone else's dont pass it up. If you contact survival sheath they may let you send it back if you dont like it also. I cant remember if they do that or not.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#20]
why not just get a shoulder holster??

how the hell are you supposed to draw your gun from that chest holster.. its not a very natural motion..  

try it..
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks interesting but I can't see how you could get a natural draw grip on it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#22]
www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?ProductID=2444&CatalogID=359

I can conceal a full size 1911 or Sig under my arm in the middle of summer with a wife beater on.

Place under your left arm, grip forward, and use in a cross-draw configuration. (for right handers)
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
After running PT along the Tigris River this morning and trying to manage a Glock 19 and a radio, I took a hard look at those chest rigs from Survival Sheath.com today. I think there's one in my near future. The one that faces the muzzle upward looks good for an easy draw, but gravity would tend to work against that one.

I think there might be one in my future as well. Wonder how the weight distribution feels with the grip down vs grip up model. I would think the weight of a loaded magazine aiming down would be more comfortable, but it's hard to imagine a decent sized pistol being carried like that.

What sort of retention device is used around the hammer, and where's the release or break for it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm guessing it only uses tension adjustment screws to hold it in. Even my IWB holster can be held upside down and shaken and my full-size 1911 won't fall out. I don't think it needs any thumb break since it's concealed. I still see a hard time drawing my 5" 1911 out of that thing especially when seated. Looks like it might work ok for the small barreled guns.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Isn't "chest holster" a euphemism for "bra?"
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#27]
It's a friction lock holster. No thumb break or lock. Grip n rip. And no, it wont fall out. No chance. I have the version with the muzzle up. As for the question about drawing, it's definitely not a quick-draw holster. You will either have to pop buttons or go in from the bottom of your shirt to get it out in a hurry. But, nothing is perfect. I wore a Galco jackass shoulder rig for a long time. It wasnt perfect either. But, over long periods of time, it started screwing with the nerves under my arm. If you think it's a bra, dont buy one. Doesnt make a shit to me either way. Just trying to pass along info on a great product that I really like. I loaned mine to some folks from a tier-1 unit recently after they saw me wearing it and they loved it. To each his own.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
After running PT along the Tigris River this morning and trying to manage a Glock 19 and a radio, I took a hard look at those chest rigs from Survival Sheath.com today. I think there's one in my near future. The one that faces the muzzle upward looks good for an easy draw, but gravity would tend to work against that one.

I think there might be one in my future as well. Wonder how the weight distribution feels with the grip down vs grip up model. I would think the weight of a loaded magazine aiming down would be more comfortable, but it's hard to imagine a decent sized pistol being carried like that.

What sort of retention device is used around the hammer, and where's the release or break for it?
www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/images/keltec_chest.jpg

It's a friction holster. The thing in the picture that looks like a retention strap is the clip on that Keltec.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is a spandex  shirt holster system.  It hugs the body so any weight by the firarm is distributed thrughout your trunk. It works well.
alssam.com/uc3xhhosy.html
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If you think it's a bra, dont buy one. Doesnt make a shit to me either way. Just trying to pass along info on a great product that I really like. I loaned mine to some folks from a tier-1 unit recently after they saw me wearing it and they loved it. To each his own.

Jeeze, man, keep your shirt on. It was a pun, for crying out loud. A pistol holster would hold your pistol, right? So a chest holster would hold your . . . . Have a beer and send me the bill.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you think it's a bra, dont buy one. Doesnt make a shit to me either way. Just trying to pass along info on a great product that I really like. I loaned mine to some folks from a tier-1 unit recently after they saw me wearing it and they loved it. To each his own.

Jeeze, man, keep your shirt on. It was a pun, for crying out loud. A pistol holster would hold your pistol, right? So a chest holster would hold your . . . . Have a beer and send me the bill.

Sorry bout that. I missed the humor, as I tend to do now and then. No harm done on my end, and hopefully none on yours.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:02:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry bout that. I missed the humor, as I tend to do now and then. No harm done on my end, and hopefully none on yours.

NP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top