Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
One serious linguist says that white urban kids like homophobic and mysogenistic rap because the see black urban males as:

1.  more confident
2.  much more sexually adept and successful
3.  much more confident with the use of weapons, in particular firearms
4.  much more willing to defend themselves

Confident?......NO!.......Attitude and "swagger"?........Yes!

Sexually adept/successful?.........when you live inside a tribe I suppose that "assessment" could be made.

Confident with weapons? ..................... Bring Yo Azz to my Hood and we tezt dat theory!

More willing to defend themselves?......... Bring Yo Azz to my Hood and we tezt dat theory also!

I car pulled up next  to me yesterday at at a stoplight.
I heard the THUMP-THUMP-THUMP and the verbal "Boom Shakalaka" Bullshit.
I turned and there driving was a white trash middle aged woman with her two teenage sons.
THERE's part of the problem!

The other part of the problem is that so many white kids have NO self respect!
They have self-esteem but no self respect! ....... and there IS a difference!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:19:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Informative piece on PBS last night in their series "Do you speak American?"

One serious linguist says that white urban kids like homophobic and mysogenistic rap because the see black urban males as:

1.  more confident
2.  much more sexually adept and successful
3.  much more confident with the use of weapons, in particular firearms
4.  much more willing to defend themselves

The linguist contends that young, white listeners of rap have an image of themselves as powerless and socially unsuccessful.

Fascinating to say the least.

Let the beatings begin!

What a load of pig crap!
These kids like it because they are pounded with it all day, every day. What the hell else do you think they're watching on TV?

You can't portray a black male in ANY negative way, or even infer that there might be something wrong with him, without being blasted by the NAACP for being a racist. Meanwhile, it's quite common and completely acceptable to cut down a white man. Heap upon him the negative sterotypes portrayed so nicely all over the friggin boob tube. (actually same goes for women, hispanics, native americans, asians, etc.) You can't portray ANY of them as stupid, lazy, alcoholics, without being blasted by the PC crowd. By all means though, feel free to portray a white male in that fashion. Nothing wrong with that at all. I mean after all, we are all fat, stupid, lazy, beer guzzling idiots that need a nice strong, smart, successful woman to make sure we don't blow ourselves up trying to light the grill or remind us to put our pants on before we leave the house.

Is it any wonder that these kids are looking up to black urban males then?
Hell, if I based my life off what I see on TV, I'd be emulating women. Seems to me you can't be intelligent unless you have tits.

Exactly! TV has simpley made it "uncool" to be white. TV is truly the root of all evil. IMO
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have to cross picket lines the vast majority of the year to do my job (security), and, I find that Kid Rock, and artists of that ilk tend to annoy the living sh8t out of the white male 40-somthings that dominate most non service industry labor unions.  I usually am not held up at the line long, becasue they can't stand listening to it thump from my car.

Otherwise I listen to Skinnard, The Black Crows and that sort....Southern Rock I suppose.

No, I don't have a mullet.

I suspect it all has to do with annoying parents.  That being said, no music of any sort that contains extensive cursing, advocates the killing of anyone, glorifies the use or sale of narcotics, or the overthrow of the country is welcome in my household.  I have a 13, 12, and 8 year old boys, and, I don't get hyper about any of thier choices regarding music, even if I don't like it.  I simply tell them "x" is not to be played in the house.  They also have lieniency in dress, until it comes to:

1.  Droopy pants
2.  That retarded-ass one pant leg up/down thing.
3.  Anti-US slogans.
4.  Wearing thier hats in any direction other than forward or backward.
5.  Gothic idiocy.

I've never actually had a problem.  They are good kids.  One likes country, the others like heavy metal, which I don't particularly care for, but I find fairly innoccuous.

They are left to make thier own choices on many facotors in their lives, but, limits are set, and, it's worked pretty well for me.

While I've been out on this deployment, my wife...5'4 120, redhead, San Antonio born/bred taught my middle child how to use the youth model Remmington 870 20g....

I have good kids,a nd,a  great wife.  That helps.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Can I get a definition here?
What's the difference between "rap" and "hip-hop"?
I've always thought that rap was rythmnically spoken speech and rhyme with a "band" composed of a guy spinning records (WTF???) and, well, dancers? for example, eminem.
I'm thinking hip hop is a combination of rap beats and more conventional music. I'm thinking... say, Beyonce.

That said, my daughter likes hip- hop and country music. So, I think the point about the mrketing of the two having some similarities may have validity. I can't account for her tastes otherwise. My wife's tastes are much like my daughter's. For myself, I've heard good music in almost all categories except opera and jazz, and i like a mix of everything.

I felt just about the same about the Beatles when I first heard them back in the sixties as I did about rap now.
I held AR15s in low esteem for a long time; now I love 'em.
MY opinions and tastes have changed over time. After being exposed somewhat involuntarily to eninem's "Lose Yourself" about ten-jillion times, I tried to decipher the lyrics, and found that I agreed with some of the sentiments expressed therein.

And on the flip side... "Bubba shot the jukebox" ?? Doesn't that portray gun powners in a negative light? (Although, come to think of it, it does seem that that song is a little "tongue-in-cheek")
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:53:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Cause its fun music you can party or relax to with a good beat.  Alot of the music on modern rock stations just bitch and moan about how they want their girl back, how depressed they are, etc, etc.  All while doing it with shitty voices.  Rap is also better since its something you can do yourself.  Whenever your at a party just have someone with a little skill beatbox while someone else starts spitting rhymes.  No need for pricey guitars, drums, amps and all that crap, all you needs a beat  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I just wanted to add that the reason I didn't like the Beatles back in the ealry 60's was that I thought they sounded "sissy". Not because they were "Satanic".
Why get upset about Elvis and the Beatles, when you have groups, today, directly advocating, with no quibble at all, the murder of police officers, the worship of Satan (which is a pretty sick idea whether you beleive in God or not), and so on? It seems if you can conceive of a deviant idea, somewhere you can find explicit lyrics celebrating the same.
Yeah, I know... free speech.
The constitution DOESN"T say I have to like it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm proud to say that my nephews are NOT attracted to gangsta rap. They understand that they are white, and that there is no need for them to act like they are something other than that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That being said, no music of any sort that contains extensive cursing, advocates the killing of anyone, glorifies the use or sale of narcotics, or the overthrow of the country is welcome in my household.

I've never actually had a problem.  They are good kids.  One likes country, the others like heavy metal, which I don't particularly care for, but I find fairly innoccuous.

Yet another Cash hater.

Bob Dillon too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#13]
difference between rap and hip hop (troy was pretty close but not 100%)

hip hop was the name given to the "urban" culture in the late 70s early 80s, and it encompassed rapping, DJing, Graffiti and breakdancing.

hip hop music is synonymous with rap. Alot of the backpacker types (mostly whit kids who are soleley into underground rap) say undergeound stuff is hip hop and the radio stuff is rap. They're wrong, both are hip hop and both are rap.

other people say that faggoty R&B/rap is hop hop and not rap... its neither (and it sucks) but like Troy said its part of the hip hop culture.

And yes, I like rap/hip hop. I grew up on it. its gone way downhill in the last 10 years but its still cool
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#14]

The linguist contends that young, white listeners of rap have an image of themselves as powerless and socially unsuccessful.

Look at TV today. Most of the shows that have mainly black actors ALWAYS portray whites as dippy and weak. Also the criminal is ALWAYS a white guy.

Comedians ALWAYS portray the white as the weak dippy fool and the black guy as the cool and in control tough guy. Ever watch BET. Its very racists. Every comedian starts his her gig with "Did you ever notice how white people......" Then go on to describe a villiage idiot?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Look at TV today. Most of the shows that have mainly black actors ALWAYS portray whites as dippy and weak. Also the criminal is ALWAYS a white guy.

I noticed this watching collateral. The lawyer was a black woman. The "hero" was a black male. The white cops were lazy and incompetent, the only cop that figured it out was hispanic. The evil hitman that killed without emotion was white.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Rap is all over the place here, a lot of country kids listen to it as well.  

I have no rap songs in my possession (Except for the Stephen Hawkings parady rap about Quake lol)

I hate the shit.  

Gimme some Metal and a country boy can survive!

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't wait for this fad to pass.  Maybe then these idiots will at least pull their damn pants up!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I can't wait for this fad to pass.  Maybe then these idiots will at least pull their damn pants up!

sorry, but once something lasts more than 20 years, I think its no longer considered a fad
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I expect the follow a fad has alot to do with it.  the "White guilt" is part too, they really layed that on when I was in school.

Alot of people seem to hold a drug dealer in high respect as someone not be messed with, like some kind of local superhuman person.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That being said, no music of any sort that contains extensive cursing, advocates the killing of anyone, glorifies the use or sale of narcotics, or the overthrow of the country is welcome in my household.

Yet another Cash hater.

Bob Dillon too.

Come to think of it...I think Cash is prolly the most over rated singer in the history of mankind.  I aware of Cash's prison songs, etc, but, I'm of the opinion they teach a lesson, rather than glorify.  Dillon....I got over Dillon after 18.  The simplistic nasal whineing, some people think is genius...Different strokes and all that....Dillon is probably the most overrated muscial talent in the history of mankind.  Cash and Dillon....Get over them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I aware of Cash's prison songs, etc, but, I'm of the opinion they teach a lesson, rather than glorify.  

True, but there are many rap songs that do the same. Does that redeem the entire genre? Are the songs that glorify it enough to condemn it?

How many country artists do you reckon are better than Cash, and can you name them?

I too am a fan of the Black Crowes,
Is that a joint?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't know.

I like gangsta rap.

Though strictly old school yo.

But I don't fit any of that criteria.

So why do I listen to it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]
BLAME MTV!! IBTL

Edit: Damn Paul you beat me!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Just a bunch of Wiggers!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow.

What was that term they used for rock music back in the ‘50’s?

It was always used when talking about what a danger rock was to teenagers at the time…

Anybody remember?

Satan's music! The shock and outrage at Elvis' "dancing" set many a church marm to wailing. The hard rock of the 70's like Black Sabbath had plenty of people with their panties in a wad too with the backwards masking ... can you even play a CD backwards now

Hey, and 'guess what'????

'They' were right!

The Sixties Generation was the biggest set of moral misfits, jackasses, primping, mewling deviants, delinquents, and ne'er do wells that this country ever produced...until the subsequent generations!

I kid you not!

And what are we seeking?

The Honest-to-God Lowest Common Denominator!

And that, my dear friends, is the present day 'hip-hop' culture straight out of South Central LA!

Fine for y'all!

But as for me and mine, there is nothing good that comes from South Central LA!

Eric The(NotYo'Daddy)Hun

Sumbitch! Twice today that I agree with you.  Getting mighty cold in hell.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:00:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top