Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2004 9:45:35 PM EDT
The three gun type mags I read the most are SWAT, GWLE, and SOF plus I'll page through others at the magazine rack.  They all do reviews on shooting schools, Thunder Ranch, Gunsite... I can't remember one time I have seen a review of a course by Front Site.  there must be a reason.  

When a magazine does a product evaluation how much influence does the companies advertising in the magazine affect the evaluation?
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 6:06:50 AM EDT
[#1]
noone has an opinion on this one?
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
We have an opinion, we just don't like you.    
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 3:48:06 AM EDT
[#3]
thats nice. now go play in the street please.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 3:53:24 AM EDT
[#4]
SWAT magazine has their own forum here....  Maybe you'll have better luck asking them..LINK

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:46:55 AM EDT
[#5]
My dyslexia must be acting up again- I could have sworn the thread title read "school shooting reviews in gun mags".....

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:49:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The reason is, Front Sight has been taken over by Scientologists, and if a magazine review mentions this, they are sure to be sued.  And if they don't mention it, they are being dishonest.  Thus, they don't review Front Sight.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I read an article about a tracking school for BP types recently.

It was disappointing.  The article went:

They taught us some cool stuff in class, but I can't tell you about it.  The instructors told us a lot of cool stuff, but I can't tell you about it either.  Then when we went out into the field we did some really cool stuff, but, well, I can't tell you about that.  I highly recommend this school, but I can't tell you why.

It was a waste of paper.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:38:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When a magazine does a product evaluation how much influence does the companies advertising in the magazine affect the evaluation?

They could give an honest critique of the school that keeps them afloat with advertising cash, or, they could be out of publication.  

Duh.

Most gun mags are about as relevant as "Teen Beat" is to the real world.  (and I don't mean "The Real World" either)
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I think FS gets unfairly labeled as some kind of pre-Armageddon Scientology training compound (with gift shop) because the internet is a vacuum of common sense.

When in reality it’s probably just another decent school with great facilities, and one that – if someone were to go – would enhance one’s own ability to effectively protect themselves.

I’ve known several people that have trained there and not one of them heard anything about scientology.  There was some pressure to buy discounted coupons for future training – but other than that – nothing too odd.  I’d probably check them out if they were local.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:59:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I read an article about a tracking school for BP types recently.

It was disappointing.  The article went:

They taught us some cool stuff in class, but I can't tell you about it.  The instructors told us a lot of cool stuff, but I can't tell you about it either.  Then when we went out into the field we did some really cool stuff, but, well, I can't tell you about that.  I highly recommend this school, but I can't tell you why.

It was a waste of paper.

Agreed.  I can't believe I wasted my time reading that "review."   As non-military and non-LEO I don't imagine I'd even be "qualified" to take their course, anyway.

Alpine
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
thats nice. now go play in the street please.

I do. I shoot at cars as they go by.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#13]
One of these times someone will return fire.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
One of these times someone will return fire.

They try, sir, they try.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top