Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2004 3:05:03 PM EDT
When you purchase a money order do you just take the money order and stick it in an envelope and mail it like a normal letter?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
i guess you're asking if you should fill it out?!  Yes to that.  only the top, thicker copy goes to the person.  you keep the carbon copies.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I always cover it with paper...so you can't see it through the envelope.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
There are no carbon copies. Fill both parts out, detach your side and send the other in a security envelope.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me tell you what happened to me.  I bought a USPS money order, mailed it via USPS Priority mail with a tracking no.  USPS lost it... get this you have to wait 30 days to fill out a claim, then it takes 60 days to get your money back.

spend 2 bucks and get a cashiers check from the bank.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The big bonus is if say you are doing business w/ someone and they don't hold up their end of the deal but still cash the M.O. it's called 'mail fraud'.   If you have the right info the mail inspectors will go knock on the knuckle-head's door for ya.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I just sent it in a normal envolope.

Pry not a good idea?

I did keep my stub though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Pry not a good idea?

Shit.  Now "prolly" has turned into "pry."

Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pry not a good idea?

It should be probably anyway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]
i use the security envelopes that you cant see through and i make sure i fill it out IN INK so that there is no question over who it is for (name, address, phone #)
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Lots of people in EE say they'll accept only postal MO.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The big bonus is if say you are doing business w/ someone and they don't hold up their end of the deal but still cash the M.O. it's called 'mail fraud'.   If you have the right info the mail inspectors will go knock on the knuckle-head's door for ya.

That's not a bonus. You can mail a bag of rocks and it would still be mail fraud. The use of a USPS MO has nothing to do with it and offers no additional protection. The only factor in determining mail fraud is that some part of the transaction was performed using the US Mail.  An example would be if you bought a USPS MO and sent it overnite by FEDEX or UPS...now its not Mail Fraud because you didn't use the US Mail as part of the deal. A USPS MO only allows the seller to cash it at any PO. There is absolutely no benefit to the buyer
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pry not a good idea?

It should be probably anyway.

My point exactly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Since I mailed it in a normal envelope, I really do not have any chance of tracking it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Since I mailed it in a normal envelope, I really do not have any chance of tracking it?

No tracking on regular envelopes, no.  You'd have to send it priority.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
What can I do if it doesn't reach the destination?
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What can I do if it doesn't reach the destination?

You have your receipt, correct?  

Click on this link ---> Missing Money Orders USPS
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#17]
USPS only money order I use.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#18]
If it is for more than $50 spend the $3.85 for Priority Mail...it's worth the peace of mind!
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not a bonus. You can mail a bag of rocks and it would still be mail fraud. The use of a USPS MO has nothing to do with it and offers no additional protection. The only factor in determining mail fraud is that some part of the transaction was performed using the US Mail.  An example would be if you bought a USPS MO and sent it overnite by FEDEX or UPS...now its not Mail Fraud because you didn't use the US Mail as part of the deal. A USPS MO only allows the seller to cash it at any PO. There is absolutely no benefit to the buyer

Why the hell are you going to buy a USPS M.O. and then send it via FEDEX or UPS?
I guess common sense ain't that common.
Don't you think it's a lot easier for the USPS to confirm the cashing of a M.O. that they issued vice one that you bought at the corner mini-mart?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#20]
If I were to buy a money order at a local Drug Town (kind like a Walgreens, not where you buy weed) would that be eligible for cash turn in in any part of the country? I really do not know if it is a USPS post or not.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know a lot of people that want USPS money orders because they don't have a bank account for whatever reason, or don't want to put the money into their account.  

USPS money orders are cashable at the post offfice, hence their popularity.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know a lot of people that want USPS money orders because they don't have a bank account for whatever reason, or don't want to put the money into their account.  

USPS money orders are cashable at the post offfice, hence their popularity.

How many different kinds of money orders are there?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why the hell are you going to buy a USPS M.O. and then send it via FEDEX or UPS?
I guess common sense ain't that common.
Don't you think it's a lot easier for the USPS to confirm the cashing of a M.O. that they issued vice one that you bought at the corner mini-mart?

Nice deflection attempt, but it has nothing to do with your original statement. It is not called Mail Fraud when a USPS MO is misused, only when the mail system is used as part of the transaction.   As whether I think it is easier or not has nothing to do with it. Many people buy USPS MO because the seller requires it, but they send it FEDEX or UPS for next day delivery, which in most cases is more reliable and cheaper than USPS next day delivery. What they don't realize is that by not using USPS they lose the ability to claim mail fraud, based on incorrect information posted by people that don't know any better.  If you classify this as a lack of common sense, then I guess you are right.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Too many. Just about all large banks have their own 'brand', then you have the corner stores with other brands. Each has its own restrictions on how long to wait before a claim is made, how long to get the claim paid, and other restrictions. Some have websites to check the status of the MO, some have phone numbers to call, some only answer inquiries by mail and many require payment of an additional charge to submit a claim or check the status.

As previously stated, they are ideal for sellers... Just walk into any PO and they'll cash it..no questions asked. No bank account required, no ID (in most cases) and no worry about whether it is good or not.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too many. Just about all large banks have their own 'brand', then you have the corner stores with other brands. Each has its own restrictions on how long to wait before a claim is made, how long to get the claim paid, and other restrictions. Some have websites to check the status of the MO, some have phone numbers to call, some only answer inquiries by mail and many require payment of an additional charge to submit a claim or check the status.

As previously stated, they are ideal for sellers... Just walk into any PO and they'll cash it..no questions asked. No bank account required, no ID (in most cases) and no worry about whether it is good or not.

So if I were to buy one from a local Grocery store/post office it would be redeemable by someone else in another state even if he did use a different post office?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#27]
If you send a USPS MO as said before if its 50 bucks or more send it priorty mail with delivery confirm (Another 50 cents I believe )Then you know when it arrives and you can track it so it dont get lost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top