Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2001 8:54:49 PM EDT
hey, I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for a good accurate long range rifle, meaning accuracy on par with stock AR15,and long range meaning 2-300 yards.  I dont want to get an AR for this purpose, mainly because if I do I will go nuts and spend a crap load on magazines red-dots and scopes and such, when all I really want is a rifle that can take out some prairie dogs in north dakota in about a month.  

i was thinking (dont kill me for this) a ruger mini 14 or mini 30, or some kind of a remington 700 variant.  Obviously based on that, it doesnt really matter if its semi, or bolt, I just want to be able to have fun with a rifle for plinking and taking out some praire dogs. I really have no idea about any rifles  other than the "military style AW's" meaning ar15, HK91, etc.  Plain old rifles are something I know NOTHING about, the only thing I know is I would like to buy one.

Any help is appreciated
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]
According to the story your telling. Get a Remington 700 of some variant. (Perhaps 223) They're fairly cheap depending on model and you would have a reliable and accurate rifle to boot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...and long range meaning 2-300 yards.
View Quote

LOL!! Sorry....HA...ok...laughing has subsided.
[;)]

You might want to try something like a Marlin .223 bolt-action (or Savage, for that matter).  They're inexpensive, and allow you to familiarize yourself with bolt-actions AND receive the benefit of the .223 load.

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh come on...dont give me that much crap :-)

Im just a totally idiot when it comes to rifles that arent AR15 variants...and I have no problem admiting that.  I guess what I should have said was "the longest range I would need it to shoot out to is 2-300 yards" LoL.

Try not to be too harsh...

thanks for your help thus far, if I am going to go .223, should I just go ahead and get a mini 14?  I keep hearing VERY mixed opinions on the rifle, but I think overall, it may be the most well rounded rifle, should be able to take out a prairie dog, hopefully its accurate, and its semi auto, so it would be a fun "toy" at the range as well.  

decisions, decisions...errr
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Get yourself a NEF Handi rifle in 30.06, they are very accurate & less than $200.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Marksman,

Where in ND are you going? I'm in north central ND..

later,
   Chris
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Marksman,

Go for one of those Ishapore Indian 2A bolt guns.  Thay had issued these in the 50's (I think?) as they swicthed to a NATO 7.62, but used them relatively breifly while were waiting for their self-loading service rifles.  They have modern steel in their construction and didn't see as hard use as some Mausers.  Plus, they have detachable mags, so you could load up on mags and have somewhat quicker reloads than using a stripper clip ( Stripper clips make me [pissed] )

There is a company in the Shotgun News (Navy Arms, I think) with some decent deals.  You can go for a good plain jane one for around $80 to a "customized" one (meaning new stock and scope mount, etc.) for about $200 or so.  Plus, you get something in .308, a real long range caliber (don't fret, I own an AR-15, and it IS my multi-purpose rifle, and I also like the .223) with good knockdown power at these ranges.  

My understanding is the SMLE series of rifles is one of the quickest and smoothest to operate, and I'll take one over a Mauser.  I also like the flipping side tang safety (not a crossbolt or bolt-mounted knob /lever,etc.!).This also gives you a decent SHTF rifle for longer ranged targets.    They are also quite accurate for a service rifle, but I don't know if it can hit priarie dogs at 300 yards (maybe stick with a Remington m700 heavy barrel for JUST that purpose).  Makes a mess of prairie dogs, though
[frag]

Hope this helps,

Urban  
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Im not sure where in ND, its run by an indian reservation, and it costs 100 bucks to buy their hunting license, and you can then go there whenever you want.  

And about the mini 14...I know nothing about them other than some people love them, some hate them.  No idea bout their accuracy being THAT horrible...lol

Any price range is good, as long as its justifiable.  

Lol, guess i wont be buying a ruger...hah
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want to spend the $$,

Go for a ruger all-weather rifle.  Hell, then it's "Dual Usage" (one of my favorite firearms words, next to "modular") for anything you need to take with you in the woods or in harsh weather.  The price is about the same of lower than a mini-14.  

I owned a mini-14 and it is a neat little gun, but I don't think you'll get the accuracy that you are looking for in it.  Mini's are alot like m-1 carbines.  They are fun as hell to shoot, but not something people love to develop and accurize like the AR15 and (to a lesser extent) M14.  However, there are a few firms that have started to accurize them [mini14's])

My .02 is on the counter, take it if you wish,

[:)]

Urban
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Marksman14, The Ruger is very reliable with factory mags ($100.00+ for 30rders) but 3-4 MOA is about the best you ca hope for out of them. Those that love them do not hunt prairie dogs with them. At 200-300 yards against man sized target standing in the open it comes into it’s own. If I remember right Clark claims they can make the Ruger shoot 1 1/2 MOA for $ 850.00 in their wind free tunnel, however the reviews I have read I magazines say it isn’t so. More like 2-2 ½ MOA.

Get a Rem 700 PSS or Varmint in .223 and a quality scope ad set of rigs ad you will be good to go.

THISISME
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Since you said "good price" I would suggest a Savage bolt action rifle.  I have played with several Savage rifles over last several years and they were all accurate.  Most were capable of 1" at 100 yards and two would shoot under 1/2" when good target ammo was used without any work done to them.  

My suggestion would be one of the heavy barrel version in .223 or maybe .243 with a decent scope in 4-10 power ranage.  This should run under $700 dollars.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top