Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2004 7:22:11 AM EDT
 Background: we have been discussing the eight proposed State Constitutional Amendments here in FL.  Regarding Amendment 3, which limits the percentage a blood-sucking lawyer can receive for contingency fees in civil lawsuits to about 30% of the settlement, we agreed to vote a big HELL YES, since she is going to grad school to be a medical Doctor.  

Well...after a conversation yesterday with one of her liberal bitch (lawyer-dr) professors, she tells me that she thinks she will change her mind calls me and says "I voted the same, except #3.  My professor said that lawyers won't take poor injured people's cases if this amendment passes."  I asked why the hell she didn't just read the amendment for herself, and that I was surprised she could be that impressionable.  I hung up the phone, not believing that my wife was such an impressionable idiot sheep.  I refuse to take her calls today, and don't know why I bother trying to educate a fucking sheep.      
This shit has started ever since we moved to S.FL- she has always been conservative, pretty much politically a female version of me since I met her.  Ever since moving here, she has stopped carrying (keeps a .38 in her car, hopelessly zipped/packaged away in a hard to reach place), keeps her Glock locked away here at home, has been bitching about every little gun/ammo/accessory purchase I make, and has started hanging out with some friends that are far left of left.
I think I'm losing my wife to this fucking liberal hell-hole, and I'm starting to not give a shit.  How I could get this pissed off on my day off is beyond me- fucking women.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#1]
You two need to sit down and have a serious talk.
Let her read this thread and the responses.
Sounds like she needs an intervention.
That sounds gay, but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the serious sit down and talk.

Men don't change much, women do.  It sounds like there's some "drift" going on here and you aren't the one doing it.

Time to sit down have a VERY SERIOUS talk about where you two are.  Might nip it in the bud and you might find out some things that you really don't want to hear, but need to nevertheless.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Well this relationship needs to stabilize before it disintegrates further.  
She is not the person you married and is not likely to be that person again in this environment.

Good luck.  I hate to see people breakup.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#5]
You need to have a serious talk with her and maybe even consider moving, if that's what it takes to keep you together.  Marriage is for life.  You do whatever you have to do to keep the relationship healthy.  If that means moving to some town in Wyoming where everyone your wife is exposed to is a hard-core Conservative, then so be it.  I hope for both your sake that she's not THAT weak, though.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you truly believe in freedom of contract, then why should the state get involved between an attorney and his or her client in the matter regarding compensation?

Do you really want to limit anyone's compensation simply because you believe it to be 'too much'?

Let's just assume that all men are able to understand their own particular situation better than the state, and that IF they knowingly and intelligently decide to enter into a contract with another person, then simply let them do so.

If they've made a horrible decision, it will affect no one but themselves.

So, do you also believe in other forms of 'nanny' government?

You don't sound as if you do, but if you've swallowed this one, out of dislike(?) for lawyers, then who knows what else you may have accepted as the way things ought to be?

BTW, I am a lawyer, but I'm not overly fond of plaintiff's attorneys, myself.

They should be able, however, to contract with anyone they wish to under any conditions that the two parties may agree.

Leave the state to mind its own business.

Eric The(LibertarianRepublican)Hun

The amendment basically prevents lawyers from taking the majority of a settlement by guaranteeing a minimum precentage to the plantiff. There are many varibles on both sides. If attorneys
were more self policing, amendments like this wouldn't be needed but there are a small number of law firms and attorneys that exercise their right to exploit their clients. A friend in the insurance biz tells me of settlement offers they make to clients. Attorneys promise them much more money. Years later when the case is finally settled, the client ends up with %25 of what the ins co. initially offered after the long wait. There needs to be some reform in legal system, if Attorneys don't do it themselves, legislators will.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
+1 on the serious sit down and talk.

Men don't change much, women do.  It sounds like there's some "drift" going on here and you aren't the one doing it.

Time to sit down have a VERY SERIOUS talk about where you two are.  Might nip it in the bud and you might find out some things that you really don't want to hear, but need to nevertheless.

Good luck!

Amen, brother!

Take it from someone who DIDN'T follow this advice! We're divorcing. You do NOT want to go through this if you can avoid it!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Men don't change much, women do.  

I disagree with this statement.  I used to be a pretty normal conservative...I turned into a raging Right Wing, gun-toting outspoken Republican UBER conservative.  I think it's an improvement
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't think she is smart enough to get through med school.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:50:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you truly believe in freedom of contract, then why should the state get involved between an attorney and his or her client in the matter regarding compensation?

Do you really want to limit anyone's compensation simply because you believe it to be 'too much'?

Let's just assume that all men are able to understand their own particular situation better than the state, and that IF they knowingly and intelligently decide to enter into a contract with another person, then simply let them do so.

You don't sound as if you do, but if you've swallowed this one, out of dislike(?) for lawyers, then who knows what else you may have accepted as the way things ought to be?

They should be able, however, to contract with anyone they wish to under any conditions that the two parties may agree.

The fundamental flaw in this argument is that the state has created a de facto monoply for lawyers in the practice of law. Since the state created the monopoly, they have every right to regulate it as a public utility.

If you really want to talk about freedom, we should have the full freedom to hire ANYONE (not just lawyers), for whatever fee we determine, to represent us in any legal proceeding.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#11]
It's not you and it's not the place, it's women.   I can tell my wife something over and over and over again and she won't listen to me but let someone else say the same thing and it instantly becomes the truth.  She drives me crazy sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
 Background: we have been discussing the eight proposed State Constitutional Amendments here in FL.  Regarding Amendment 3, which limits the percentage a blood-sucking lawyer can receive for contingency fees in civil lawsuits to about 30% of the settlement, we agreed to vote a big HELL YES, since she is going to grad school to be a medical Doctor.  

Well...after a conversation yesterday with one of her liberal bitch (lawyer-dr) professors, she tells me that she thinks she will change her mind calls me and says "I voted the same, except #3.  My professor said that lawyers won't take poor injured people's cases if this amendment passes."  I asked why the hell she didn't just read the amendment for herself, and that I was surprised she could be that impressionable.  I hung up the phone, not believing that my wife was such an impressionable idiot sheep.  I refuse to take her calls today, and don't know why I bother trying to educate a fucking sheep.      
This shit has started ever since we moved to S.FL- she has always been conservative, pretty much politically a female version of me since I met her.  Ever since moving here, she has stopped carrying (keeps a .38 in her car, hopelessly zipped/packaged away in a hard to reach place), keeps her Glock locked away here at home, has been bitching about every little gun/ammo/accessory purchase I make, and has started hanging out with some friends that are far left of left.
I think I'm losing my wife to this fucking liberal hell-hole, and I'm starting to not give a shit.  How I could get this pissed off on my day off is beyond me- fucking women.

I know you're very mad, but these are all pretty shitty remarks.  If your wife always takes whatever decision you take, doesn't that make her a sheep too?  If you're one of the guys that think women shouldn't think, then I can understand your anger.  If not, then lighten up -  so she has a different opinion than you on this topic...so what?  

If you feel like you are drifting apart, then you need to spend some quality time together.  Calling her an impressionable idiot sheep, refusing to take her calls, not giving a shit, and calling her a "fucking woman" is not going to help your marriage.  You both need to meet half way before it's too late.

just my .02  I hope you guys can work it out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Women pretend to like the things their man likes.

Shooting, guns, conservitive politics, sex etc.

It's only when they get you into a marriage contract, and have you by the balls, that you find out what they really like and who they are.

That she is willing to stop pretending (as she has been), is also a sign that she is losing interest in you.  

Welcome to married life pal.

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Your anger has nothing to do with how she voted.  You are angry at her deep down for some reason.  Figure out why.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's not you and it's not the place, it's women.   I can tell my wife something over and over and over again and she won't listen to me but let someone else say the same thing and it instantly becomes the truth.  She drives me crazy sometimes.

OMG mine does the exact same thing!  Drives me up a friggin' wall!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't know guys and gals- it's a stressful enough day already without this BS going on.  She is honest enough to tell me what she did, just upsetting.  She can't even cast a vote in defense of her own career, and doesn't seem to understand that many of her professors have a leftist political agenda.  Disappointed, pissed off, and in no mood to see her tonight.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#18]
We've been married for over four years now, with one child.  If it wasn't for him, I would be able to write her off alot easier.  Let this be a lesson to you single chaps- marriage: just DON'T DO IT.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#19]
You're mad because she decided not to vote like you did on 1 single issue? Dude, you may be the one with the problem. Your little stepford wife steped out of line. She sounds like an individual that thinks for herself. We can't have that can we.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just tell her "why do you even want to hear my opinion, you're not going to listen  me anyway.  I've been telling you what my opinion is for years and you never believe me.  Go ask your brother or your sisters or whoever you want"
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a BIG +1

Remind me to tell you why I believe 'the guy at the gas station' should get both his legs busted.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Mine, too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Am I being unreasonable with my wife?

Short answer:  If she thinks that you are, then you are.  Sorry, bud, it's just part of being married.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
We've been married for over four years now, with one child.  If it wasn't for him, I would be able to write her off alot easier.  Let this be a lesson to you single chaps- marriage: just DON'T DO IT.

My wife and I have been married for 21 years.  You learn to deal with it.  I think sometimes she says things just to irritate me just because she knows they will irritate me

As far as "marriage: DON'T DO IT."

Wouldn't trade it for being single for the world.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just tell her "why do you even want to hear my opinion, you're not going to listen  me anyway.  I've been telling you what my opinion is for years and you never believe me.  Go ask your brother or your sisters or whoever you want complete strangers"

They are the ones my wife believes.......
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Dude -

You are JUST ABOUT to learn why lawyers are the bane of our society.

Move your guns to a  freinds house..

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#28]
The answer is, that she is going to college, and being indoctrinated by, shithead college professors who can't make it the real world, and teach b/c they can't do anything else.  You need to have a SERIOUS talk with her about her basic beliefs.  Ops
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

+1 FREAKIN GAGILLION-BAZILLION!!!!

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a BIG +1

Remind me to tell you why I believe 'the guy at the gas station' should get both his legs busted.

+2

My wife's old boss would always have to give his 2 cents when my car wasn't running right (Nissans suck, BTW).  The guy didn't know which end of a wrench to hold, but that didn't stop him from giving his opinion.  

One day I had enough and told her, "If he is so fucking sure of what's wrong with the fucking car, the can fix the fucker himself.  I don't need him or you second-guessing everything I do."

It got real quiet.

She didn't talk to me for a couple hours, and I probably could have said it in a nicer way, but damn.  I don't think women understand that men are capable of going through an entire day without someone questioning, validating or contradicting everything they do.

Kirk
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Ok if i have to i'll do it:

SIIHPAPP

sory but you guy's left me no choice.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I hung up the phone, not believing that my wife was such an impressionable idiot sheep.  I refuse to take her calls today, and don't know why I bother trying to educate a fucking sheep.      

I think I'm losing my wife to this fucking liberal hell-hole, and I'm starting to not give a shit.

WHOA hold up there bro...

Sounds like you're mad.  But if you are treating her the way you appear to be from this post you have much bigger problems.

She's your wife and you love her right?

Even if sometimes she does things that you think are stupid?

Right?

All you're going to do referring to her that way and treating her like that is to drive her away, not bring her back around to your side.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Wait until your wife gets sued.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Wait until your wife gets sued.

Thank you- we have a winner.

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Move!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#36]
If your wife is that easily influenced by her surroundings that you have to move in order to keep her from changing her opinion, you have way bigger problems than the vote.

Incidentally, I voted no on that one.  I always vote no on every constitutional amendment.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Incidentally, I voted no on that one.  I always vote no on every constitutional amendment.

Worried about cheapening the State Constitution by including Amendments about parental notification for abortions, protecting people from blood-sucking trial lawyers, and such?  That's a serious question...I really am intereted in why you think liberal activist judges deserve to call all the shots while guys like you and I have no say in the matter.  What's the problem with that?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worried about cheapening the State Constitution by including Amendments about parental notification for abortions, protecting people from blood-sucking trial lawyers, and such?  That's a serious question...I really am intereted in why you think liberal activist judges deserve to call all the shots while guys like you and I have no say in the matter.  What's the problem with that?

After the last time around and the smoking ban and the pregnant pigs, I will never vote to add another amendment to our state constitution.  I actually support the right of people to enjoy life smoke free, but I still voted against the amendment.  I hate the way our state is legislated like this.  The constitution is not the place for pregnant pigs and telling parents their slut daughter just had an abortion.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#39]
wow... thats crazy... perhaps some therapy might be in order... dude, its just an election... if something like this is going to cause this sort of a reaction between you, perhaps you should ask yourself what youre doing being married in the first place... something like this isnt the problem, its a symptom of a much larger problem...

my wife doesnt always agree with me... i dont always agree with her... thats just life...

besides, my wife knows im always right... well, except for that one time when i thought i was wrong and it turned out that i was right!  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 FREAKIN GAGILLION-BAZILLION!!!!

Insurance defense lawyer chiming in.  Yes, I'm the one who gets called in to defend the doctors when they get sued.

EricTheHun is right on the mark here.  The answer to the medical malpractice "crisis" is not limitations on lawyer fees, nor is it caps on non-economic damages for injured persons.   Government regulation of lawyer fees only leads to government regulation of fees in other trades.  I doubt that you plumbers want the government telling you how much you can charge to fix a leaky faucet (edited to add-->I respect the profession, that's why I used it as an example here).

Think about it.  Government regulation of lawyer fees is government regulation of private contracts.  It is no different than government regulation of doctor fees, physical therapist fees, engineer fees, accountant fees, contractor fees, plumber fees...the list goes on and on.

The reason your wife gave for changing her vote is actually quite valid.   It's a bottom-line issue.  Attorneys have to feed their families.  If they don't get paid, they can't do that.  It costs a lot of money to try a personal injury case.  The personal injury attorney assumes the financial risk of taking on the case.  The injured person doesn't pay a dime up front.  Very few Plaintiffs could even begin to afford the cost of taking their case to trial, even if they wanted to.  The attorney is the one that foots the bill.  A typical personal injury case can cost upwards of $50,000.00 to $100,000.00 plus many hours of work to take to trial.  That's a lot of money to put on the line when you might get nothing in return.

If fees for personal injury lawyers are limited to 20%, for example, then the costs of taking the medium-sized (and much more common) case to trial does not justify the expense that is necessary to win.  The majority of personal injury cases are not multi-million dollar cases.   It will simply be no longer economically feasible to take on the average case.

In a perfect world, insurance companies and responsible parties would step up to the plate and pay fair compensation to every injured person.  We wouldn't have greedy Plaintiff's avoiding responsibility for their own stupidity and lying about their injuries.  Doctors wouldn't run up huge bills with unnecessary treatment and they wouldn't commit malpractice either.  People are not perfect, however, and sometimes insurance companies need a lawyer to help fight fraudulent claims.  Sometimes injured people need a lawyer to help fight greedy and irresponsible defendants and insurance companies too.

I like to think that when the lawyers do their jobs right, the insurance company goes home happy because they paid a fair settlement on a legitimate claim and the injured party goes home happy because they received a fair settlement for a legitimate claim.   In other words, the lawyer helps make the world a little more perfect.  See how that works.

As far as the issue  with your wife, you need to talk to her about it.  Let her know what's bothering you and why.  From what it seems, this is a very common situation.  What's the Bible passage...a prophet has no honor in his homeland?  Once I understood where my wife was coming from and once she understood that I was just looking for a little more faith and trust from her, things worked better.  Try it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Everyone in a  relationship grows; some grow at different rates or in different directions. How you two handle your individual growth within the relationship  dictates whether the relationship survives. I do think you were being a little hard on her.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top